Let’s Blather All Over… Quadrilateral Cowboy

By Nathan Grayson on October 29th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Quadrilateral Cowboy is a game I’ve been watching with great interest ever since Thirty Flights Of Loving creator Brendon Chung first debuted it last year. It’s about hacking, but not via irritating minigames or jargon-your-problems-away Hollywood magic. Instead, you learn basic (albeit fictional) code and take down everything from laser grids to gun emplacements with a twitch of your fingers and a wriggle of your brain. It’s already an extremely clever game, and it’s quite empowering despite the fact that you play as someone who probably couldn’t even heft an assault rifle – let alone fire one. Basically, it’s a wonderfully novel idea – more Neuromancer than Deus Ex – but words only do it so much justice. Thus, I’ve decided to play it for your enrichment, in hopes that you will understand why Quadrilateral should be driving your radar haywire.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. phelix says:

Using Clair de Lune as intro music is a definite plus. Yay for cultural/musical elitism!

2. rhubarb-crisp says:

The necromancer link took me to Wikipedia – which I expected it to do. I had hoped however that it would bring me wonderful news. And so, while the link met my expectations it still managed to disappoint.

3. Jackablade says:

How long is this game likely to be? A 30 minute video could probably comfortably get you through the entirety of both Gravity Bone and 30 Flights of Loving. Is watching this going to spoil a substantial amount of the game?

• TychoCelchuuu says:

This is one of BLENDO Games’ more traditional games, like Atom Zombie Smasher or Flotilla, as far as I can tell, not one of the quick art games like Thirty Flights of Loving or Gravity Bone.

4. darkhog says:

So it is out? Thought it is still in development!

• WrenBoy says:

Well the official website says Coming Soon.

Words. Not as useless as Nathan thinks.

• darkhog says:

So why is HE playing it? Does he thinks he is better than me? And he isn’t even a dev, where I can just ignore his channel and site just like with Starbound which is complete but not released and devs (of sb) are just fucking around.

5. staberas says:

bought
    just tell me a price

6. Laurentius says:

Is it better then Uplink though ?

• Dozer says:

Watch the video – it’s completely different to Uplink except they’re both themed around hacking. Been a while since I played Uplink but I seem to remember the game required lots of clicking the mouse on stuff to make stuff happen, while the core mechanic of this one is to type accurate commands very quickly into a terminal shell.

7. FigureArcade says:

The birds are from Gravity Bone! In that game, they explode.

8. Winged Nazgul says:

Guess there’s a reason why this recently won the IndieCade award for overall excellence.

9. zachforrest says:

‘Basic train areas’??? Take my money!

10. Contrafibularity says:

Can’t wait for this game, but I’d rather go into it completely unspoile(re)d if it’s even half as good as I think it is.

11. Geebs says:

The “hacking” in the game does a very good job of being reminiscent of coding, and the stuff about how addictive it is to tell a computer to do something and have it actually happen is really neatly conveyed. It looks like it’s an actual game too! Really looking forward to this one.

12. CelticPixel says:

Any indication of when it will be released? The fact Nathan seems to have nabbed himself a build to show off, and the fact that it’s in a state where it can be shown off, would give the impression it might be releasing soon?

I can’t wait for this game!

13. Velko says:

Goddammit Nathan. READ THE MANUALS! Here I was on the edge of my seat shouting “type DOOR3! type DOOR3!” but no.

14. robinge says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $68 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her income was $21037 just working on the laptop for a few hours………:> >>>> http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

15. xeon06 says:

I figured I’d point out that the game wasn’t helping you after a few missed tries, back in the tutorial when you were trying to open “door5″. It’s because you did “door5;open”, which caused “door5″ and “open” to be executed one after the other, and “door5″ was what the manual to the right was telling you to do, as it shows you the possible commands for door5.

16. valz says:

Are we sure it’s not The Stanley Parable? The screenshot is nearly indistinguishable.