All Alone: Telltale Reveals Walking Dead Season Two

By Nathan Grayson on October 29th, 2013 at 7:01 pm.

Here it is, the moment you’ve been waiting for. Ever since [SAD THING] and [OTHER SAD THING] and [MORE VERY, VERY SAD THINGS] closed out The Walking Dead’s first season, everyone’s been reinforcing their ramshackle post-apocalyptic emotion shelters – bolting on more kleenex boxes and widening gaps so they can claim it’s “just the rain” – in preparation for a second go-’round. And so, finally, here we are. In the wake WOLFAMONGOUS‘ successful launch, Telltale’s seen fit to remove Walking Dead season two from its incubation coffin. Video and details below.

Now is where things get a bit SPOILERY if you haven’t finished season one. You’ve been warned. So then, here’s where season two picks up:

“The Walking Dead: Season Two – A Telltale Games Series will continue the story of Clementine, a young girl orphaned at the outset of the undead apocalypse, now left to her own devices to seek safety and survive in a world gone mad. Now assuming the role of an ordinary child, players will struggle to outwit both the dead and the living in situations that will test their morals and control the flow of the story through their decisions and actions.”

So you play as a slightly older, significantly wearier Clementine doing her best to get by without Lee’s guidance. Quite a setup, but can Telltale leave us withered, dehydrated husks of hysterical emotion all over again? Time will tell.

How much time, you ask? Well, Telltale’s only saying that season two is “coming soon” for now. But for Telltale, that usually means months, if not weeks, and a release sometime this year is definitely a lock. Odds are, we’ll be stepping into Clementine’s mud-and-blood-caked tennis shoes before too much longer. Are you ready?

Update: It’s now available for pre-order on Steam.

, , .

Top comments

1. facls says:

When you add to your cart on Steam, it says it’ll be released in November.

1. Jesus_Phish says:

I honestly got a bit misty eyed when I saw the farm and then Lee started talking.

2. AngusPrune says:

Want. All the wants. Shut up and take my money.

3. Bull0 says:

Wow, I was really hoping for a release date.

4. kevmscotland says:

A moments silence for the fallen if you please.

5. sexyresults says:

I’m so ready for Telltale to emotionally smack me around again.

6. mpk says:

Still need to replay through Season 1 to then play the DLC in sequence, but I really don’t want to go through all that again….

7. cpt_freakout says:

Oh yes

8. Derpa says:

So play as Clementine…..pretty poor choice

• GameCat says:

I don’t know. How many times you could play as a child in a horror videogame that tackle some serious stuff?
      At least it’s some fresh meat in boring zombie genre.

• RedViv says:

Why jump to that conclusion?

• Shodex says:

I can’t speak for him, but to me one of the things that made TWD so powerful was the impact your actions (as Lee) had on Clem. Yeah you really want to beat that farmer’s face in for what he pulled, but what kind of an impact will that have on Clem? In reverse, how far should you protect her? When do you teach/prepare her for the harsh world she is now in?

Being Clem removes the protective instinct that made TWD what it was. Season 2 could be something different yet equally emotional, but I’m skeptical for the reason that I don’t yet know what that different thing is.

• RedViv says:

Fair enough. It’s a pretty dramatic PoV shift, that much I can agree with.

9. facls says:

When you add to your cart on Steam, it says it’ll be released in November.

10. Rincewind says:

Dear god yes.

That said, I’m not so sure about playing as Clementine. the protection instincts won’t kick in as much.

11. Anthile says:

Seems like an odd angle for a sequel and I can’t imagine how making moral choices from the perspective of a child is going to make for a compelling experience. Most children barely even score above zombies when it comes to morals.

12. jealouspirate says:

I was kind of hoping that it wouldn’t involve Clementine. Her story with Lee was so perfect I’d rather they just left it and start with fresh characters.

13. Dayofthedan says:

bought it.

14. Paul says:

I hoped we would play Clem, damn great.
    Also, I really wish it was episodic House of Cards style, so I could, you know, play all episodes in two days right at release. I played first season within two days and what a ride that was.

• jonahcutter says:

Yeah, I think I might wait until I can play the whole season.

I played, and loved, the first episode of Kentucky Route Zero. But the wait for the second episode dulled the impact some. The choices I made aren’t fresh in my mind, so I’ve been reluctant to play the second episode. I’ve pretty much determined to wait to finish it until I can play the whole thing.

Keeping up the rhythm and flow of the narrative makes it much more enjoyable for me.

15. Wednesday says:

I too am slightly concerned about playing as Clem.

It’ll need to be sharply and thoughtfully written to work.

16. bleeters says:

All aboard the feels train to sadtown.

Choo choo :|

17. Rincewind says:

I think this is a great place to point out just how f*cking great Lee was as a character, and how he broke pretty much all of the molds for video game stardom. A black college professor, on his way to prison after beating a state senator to death when he caught the guy with his wife, he essentially adopts a mixed-race daughter, who is the game’s other main character. And he’s thoughtful and intelligent, and capable, yet still has his flaws and can be quick to anger if you play him that way.

God, the Walking Dead Season One was just about perfect, and Lee is the main reason for that. Sure, Clementine was phenomenal, but Lee will always be my favorite part about it.

• Optimaximal says:

I guess the reason both characters worked was because they gelled together.

Not sure how Clem will work on her own, unless she runs with another consistent character who is intelligently written enough to feel like an adult.

• MattM says:

We could have Lee as the protagonist for season 2, but I think the moral choices he faces would be less compelling now.

18. Kadayi says:

Psyched

Also bold move in terms of follow through from season 1 in terms of whom you are.

19. Turkey says:

I was kinda hoping they’d start from scratch with another group of survivors in another part of the country, but that would probably be a little too risky.

20. robinge says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $68 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her income was $21037 just working on the laptop for a few hours………:> >>>> http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

21. Optimaximal says:

When have Telltale not delivered on a complete season (ok, apart from Bone)?

Yes, one episode got delayed by a week or two in the first season of TWD and there are often larger (planned) gaps between episode one and two, but they’ve never had a season be called off or had to ask for more money (*cough* insert your favourite Kickstarted game here *cough*) – what’s your problem?

• Efzg says:

Specifically shafting PC gamers on their options on how to buy their games is my problem. If I’m allowed to buy individual episodes on consoles, why do I have to preorder the whole deal on PC?

• houldendub says:

Were you planning on buying episodes 1,2,4 and 5 and just missing episode 3 or something?

Oh man, such a shame I’ve got to buy the complete, cheaper package.

How will I live.

They’re not really forcing you to buy it either. Wait until the episode’s released and for reviews to go up if you want, free country and all that. Or is someone from TT aiming various weapons at your head forcing you to click “Buy”?

• strangeloup says:

I think the argument is that by buying episodes one at a time, if the story takes a turn in a direction you’re not really keen on, then you don’t have to buy any more.

Also, I’m not sure if the same goes for TWD, but buying the full season of The Wolf Among Us was mildly but notably cheaper on console than PC (£16 versus £19).

22. Noviere says:

It will be really interesting to see how things play out with Clem in the lead. She’s a small child, so how she deals with situations will be so different from how they were handled as Lee. I mean, she probably couldn’t swing a fire axe, or pull someone up a fire escape. I’m guessing there will be a lot more stealth, and puzzles.

• GameCat says:

God, no. Not puzzles. These things was the worst part of first game. They was ruining whole tension. I know that you must include some quieter moments, but please, not puzzles.

23. RIDEBIRD says:

Have they said anything about some create-a-save feature? TWD had completely broken saves for a lot of people, and Steam Cloud magically made my saves disappear, so I have no saves. I have no interest at all in replaying the game.

• HamsterExAstris says:

Not yet. Whether they create one is probably going to depend on whether this gets Xbox One/Playstation 4 ports…

24. derbefrier says:

holy shit this just reminded me I haven’t played that dlc for this and I have money again! I wonder if I still have my saves……I may have to take a weekend and replay it plus the dlc to get ready for this.

25. The Pink Ninja says:

This feels like one of those things that couldn’t possibly live up to its predecessor.

There’s just something about series like this when one character becomes so crazily popular and become the main character that just reduces the series as a whole.

26. Hahaha says:

“why clem it makes no sense wtf is this”

Did you people not finish the first season? cause at the end it was pretty blatant we would be playing as clem

*spoilers maybe*

27. Rahazan says:

Awesome, I can’t wait

28. Kubrick Stare Nun says:

What!? No. That’s not right. Clem was supposed to have met up with Omid and Christa! What is she doing running around on her own?

29. JohnLRobinson says:

my co-worker’s step-aunt makes $62 an hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $19404 just working on the internet for a few hours. browse around this site ​ jobs72.com

30. Terragot says:

Don’t forget to keep your hair short… :’(