The Deeper Dungeons: Desktop Dungeons Out Next Week

By Alec Meer on October 29th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

After exactly 98 million years and 17 seconds in development, tiny puzzle-roguelike Desktop Dungeons will finally see its big, fat, proper, expanded, more or less finished release next week. If you haven’t played it since its superb initial, free version, you’re in for something that’s changed almost as much as L’il Kim’s face* – rather than a quickie, randomly-generated dungeon which must be ‘solved’ in a very precise order and which clearly warns you of looming death, now it’s got an overworld, quests, character upgrades, an overhauled art style, a proper soundtrack and all sorts.

It’s also got a jolly launch trailer set in a kitchen.

The release version is out on Thursday Nov 7, but in the meantime you can play the wonderful original – now deemed ‘alpha – for free (also available in-browser), or have insta-access to the current beta of the overhauled new-fangled version if you pre-order the game now. Pre-orders past, present and presumably – I mean, I’m no prophet – will be given Steam codes too ‘pon release, and savegames will apparently carry between versions.

While I spent an ungodly amount with the ‘alpha’, I’ve seen very little of the beta, which I’m happy about – I can drop straight into to an in-theory finished game with no surprises spoiled, no sense of ennui from exposure to incremental updates. I shall be as fresh and innocent as a newborn babe, only with swords and goblins and stuff instead of nappies and screaming.

WIT very soon, hopefully.

* Is that an awful thing to say? I’m sorry. But seriously, have you seen it lately?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. lowprices says:

Oh no you didn’t Alec.

I mean, the game looks good and I’ll definitely be getting it, but now all I can think is: “Damn man, that was harsh.”

2. Enkinan says:

Funny commercial.

I had not tried the Alpha and went to the browser version and died in 2 moves. I’m already hooked.

3. MrNash says:

Played the free version a bunch way back when and liked it, so I’m glad to see this happening. =)

4. internisus says:

Goodness, this is exciting! I’ve been checking their blog for—gosh, it must be at least three years at this point. I like to wait for games to be finished before I experience them, but it sure was a lengthy, trying wait. They’ve added so many features and so much refinement to the original game that I’m sure it will have been worth it!

• Ajh says:

I just checked my pre-order reciept. September 2011. This is a wonderful thing to hear!

5. Kefren says:

Completed the free version twice (that last campaign mission was a killer), loved it, so I am really excited about this. I hope it will be on GOG.

6. Turkey says:

I’m so bad in math that I can’t play this game without the windows calculator.

7. robinge says:

my classmate’s step-aunt makes $68 an hour on the laptop. She has been fired for 5 months but last month her income was $21037 just working on the laptop for a few hours………:> >>>> http://WWW.JOBS60.COM

8. JD Ogre says:

The free version is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and I really wish they’d gone for refining that (and keeping its 8-bit art style) rather than adding the overworld and other such crap… :( Oh, well. Guess it means another ignored entry in my Steam library while I pull out the alpha every couple of weeks for killing an hour here and there.

• jonahcutter says:

I had this sense too. I played the free version a bit and liked it enough to buy the beta of the newer version. I didn’t find the art as appealing. And the surface world aspect felt distracting from what made the game interesting. I fooled around with it for a few minutes, put it down and forgot about it until now.

Hopefully that (admittedly abrupt) impression is gone and it captures my attention like the original did.

• valz says:

How much are you claiming you played the new version?

• Galefury says:

I really enjoyed the beta, I played it for a few months about two years ago. It brings some awesome new mechanics to the table, mostly the religion system is far more interesting now. But of course there is also a whole bunch of new enemies and items. Overall there is just more content, and the game has still grown quite a bit since I stopped playing. I’m really looking forward to playing the release version.

Art style preferences may of course differ, but when you look at quality and amount of pure gameplay, the paid version is a huge improvement. You should give it a chance!

9. AceJohnny says:

The launch video is very similar to beatboxer Beardyman’s Kitchen Diary skit:

Is it referring it to directly or are they both referring to something older?

10. Iron Ladyboy says:

Doing dirty laundry in the kitchen? Or is that for some heavy duty dirty dishes?

11. chesh says:

Yeah, that’s kind of awful to say, leaning towards both racist *and* misogynistic. I expect better of RPS.

12. JohnLRobinson says:

my co-worker’s step-aunt makes $62 an hour on the internet. She has been out of work for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $19404 just working on the internet for a few hours. browse around this site ​ jobs72.com