Agents Of Nvidia Shield: Stream PC Games To Couch & TV

By Graham Smith on October 30th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

Literally just a 360 controller with a screen taped on.

“The Nvidia Shield already enables users to go literally anywhere,” says the press release that dropped in my mailbox. OK. I know some people might think they’ve changed the definition, but that’s like trying to argue that GIF is pronounced with a ‘j’ sound. It’s wrong no matter who says it. Does the Nvidia Shield allow me to go to Jupiter? Can I wield its strange handheld form while sat inside a physical manifestation of the concept of childhood opportunity, where summers felt endless and forests seemed to possess some fantastic secret deep within? Does it allow me to play games from inside a cat’s butthole?

No. But probably its new update would allow me to stream games from my PC to my couch or TV, and that’s pretty neat I guess.

Hey check out this terrible trailer.

Things to don’t:

• Make your advert look like a review when it’s not a review, it’s an advert.
  • Within that context, portray your weird handheld controller-console thing as a magic device free from all faults, like what if my wireless network isn’t fast enough and probably it would eventually break from heat alone if I kept it in that clothes dryer.
  • Send your supposedly likable slacker faux-reviewer to a strip club for a quick joke, and then have the only other women visible in the entire video be pretending to be prostitutes.

Anyway, in light of Valve’s recent SteamOS announcements, it’s interesting that the unloved Shield now has better functionality to stream PC games to a device you can play elsewhere in your house, and to hook that device up to your television.

, , .

1. remon says:

So, any word on AMDs new cards or are you only reporting on Nvidia?

2. SuicideKing says:

RPS at its snarky best. Bravo!

3. Senethro says:

American prison rape “jokes” are hella creepy. Also the race aspect.

4. GernauMorat says:

That is an incredibly poor advertisement

Cardinal says:

Worst aspect for me is the overriding “Play anywhere” message that the uncritical might assume to mean – “Play {your PC games} anywhere” rather than just when you’re on home wi-fi.

So if the key feature only functions in close vicinity of a powerful PC, then I guess I want to go on the PC.

Interesting device, doubtless well built, but who is the target demographic?

• fco says:

The same demographic of the steambox. In fact, since I do most of my gaming alone, I find this solution better: I can play anywhere in the house, and not just anywhere with a TV, I can play from my bed while the missus keeps the TV for herself…

• Contrafibularity says:

Which, in the world of advertising, means it’s great. Or do you honestly think its awfulness isn’t the result of a calculated bid to create controversy?

The more emotions it can evoke in the viewer, no matter if they’re all awful and negative, the more the ad has worked. Horrible but true. If nothing else it makes comments appear, and again it doesn’t matter if they’re negative; all that matters is the little number under the title post (if you’re in advertising).

• Viroso says:

I stopped watching at candy and game of thrones, it was physically bothering me.

• The Random One says:

I’m on my phone and can’t watch the video, and I’m getting the impression that it doesn’t exist and people are just inventing things to make it look horrible.

Gap Gen says:

Does anyone actually own one of these? And by anyone I mean do sales consist largely of Nvidia’s mother?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The Dowager Countess of Nvidia was socially shunned for a time after she ignored her guests to play League of Legends during her annual Harvest Fete.

• DiamondDog says:

“Yes dear, it’s very clever.”

Mum! You’re not even looking.”

Shockeh says:

They’re getting close to my Holy Grail – When I can leave my desktop PC to do all my processing, and run a software client (no stupid piece of hardware I don’t want or need, thanks nVidia!) to stream the ouput of this to another device, such as the Mac Mini (Or Rokea, or Raspberry Pi, whatever) and control it from there.

Then I can run Steam Big Picture (or Origin, or uPlay, or a specific client MMO, but you get the idea) off my little Home Threatre device, but benefit from the computing power of the Death Star powering it.

Gap Gen says:

Currently I stream to my monitor, with separate streams running from my mouse and keyboard. It’s sort of weird using a handheld device to crunch numbers for remote streaming, but I guess if that’s what the people who actually bought this want…

Oozo says:

Same here, not counting the constant stream of drool running from my mouth because “this thing is SUPER FAST”.

Crimsoneer says:

Yeah, it’s taken ages hasn’t it? Thankfully, SteamOS should do all that perfectly well, fingers crossed.

• Viroso says:

Can’t you use a long ass HDMI cable?

7. Optimaximal says:

Isn’t the joke there at least that they’re undercover police officers and he’s arrested?

Still, fairly awful advert (and I was watching it without sound)!

8. Sheng-ji says:

“and then have the only other women visible in the entire video be pretending to be prostitutes”

Not entirely convinced those were women to be honest, but this does not change your point one bit.

9. Winged Nazgul says:

Yeah, I don’t think that prostitute was really a woman. Well, one of them wasn’t so that makes it half as reprehensible I guess.

Don Reba says:

She’s a woman, if she wants to be one. Or so I’ve been told.

10. LordOfPain says:

‘Cat’s butthole’? Not exactly Oscar Wilde in that intro.

• Ross Angus says:

I’m not sure RPS even aspire to be Olivia Wilde.

Gap Gen says:

Wasn’t it Oscar Wilde who alluded to cats’ buttholes when he surmised that this “cavity is the hole of shit”.

11. Reapy says:

+1 for rps not being offended by male rape jokes.

Don Reba says:

Not like it boycotted (or grown disenchanted with) a major games conference for the same.

12. Arithon says:

GIF is pronounced with a “J” sound. Like Geoffrey, Giant, Gemstone, Geology, Gym or Ginger not like gaumless, goon or goofy.

If a word is spelt with a G in front of an e, i, or y then the g represents the “j” sound.

Now you know English.

13. engion3 says:

So using this thing is like the first time you downloaded logmein or some other remote program on your phone, used it once, and never opened it again?

14. hypercrisis says:

Last time I checked it only worked with a specific handful of Nvidia GPUs and requires a specific class of wireless router. Its a good Droid gaming device, but the streaming function is so tedious I doubt anyone is using it. Also this has been an advertised feature since its launch back in spring.

15. Deadly Sinner says:

Aren’t emulators illegal, making it pretty shifty to use them in your advertisement?

jrodman says:

Nope, emulators are perfectly legal.

• fish99 says:

Depends where you got the ROMs from and whether you own the original software.

jrodman says:

Nope, the emulators are perfectly legal.

You’re talking about whether the software you run on them is acquired through legal means.