Greenlight Releases 100 Prisoners, Sanctions Lightened

By John Walker on October 30th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

By criminy, Steam’s daft Greenlight is letting a lot of games through at the moment. 100 more after the 37 a couple of weeks ago. That makes a total of 262 games cleared for entry in the last three months. That’s a lot of games. Does it mean Greenlight is finally working? No, of course not. But it does mean there’s a long, long list of games to look through below. It includes Race To Mars, Luminesca, The Mandate and Risk Of Rain.

Being cleared through Greenlight doesn’t mean a game is close to release, of course. Just that when it gets there, it’ll have a spot on the virtual shop shelf. (You know, like how unread books have to be voted to appear on Amazon… no, wait.)

Were any of these on your watch list?

• 12TailsOnline
  • Science Girls
  • Shaun the Sheep – Home Sheep Home 2
  • Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe
  • Spintires
  • StageLight
  • Sub Rosa
  • Suguri Collection (Suguri + Acceleration of Suguri X-Edition HD)
  • Survivor Squad
  • Zombeer
  • Platformines
__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Bishop says:

I made it through! (Trash TV). 442 days is all it took.

• Meat Circus says:

And you’re barely even a gibbering wreck!

• Saul says:

The more I hear the horror stories of other devs, the more I’m thankful that we put Particulars on when we did, and that it only took us 105 days to get Greenlit. Look for an Early Access release before the end of the yeah, btw (http://www.particularsgame.com).

• Bishop says:

The huge wait wasn’t much of an upset as the game still isn’t ready. If I hadn’t of got greenlit by the time I was ready it’d be another story. Getting on greenlight at the very start saw several thousand votes in the first few days as the organic traffic on greenlight was so high back then.

2. Armatool says:

So many games, so little time

3. RedViv says:

[incomprehensible yelling about something drox something]

99 Spirits is great, and I am very happy about the inclusion of TOME.

• Anthile says:

We now live in a world where Orc Attack: Flatulent Rebellion is greenlighted before Drox Operative. Somebody should do something.

• RedViv says:

Yes. Exactly that. We can’t be any more clear because, well, I don’t think anybody outside of Valve, if anyone at all, can relate through comprehensible and logical reasoning how that could happen.

• MykulJaxin says:

I think we forget that the majority of Steam’s users don’t think about videogames the same way we do and buy CoD every year.

• InternetBatman says:

I haven’t played either, but I can offer this consolation. Greenlit does not mean released on Steam. One could get Greenlit first, but the other released first or at all (hopefully).

Also, Drox Operative has a pretty crap Greenlight page. Compare its video with Galactic Arms Race (probably an inferior game).

I imagine people see Drox Operative’s video, with it’s plodding music, cheap graphics (they look that way, whether or not they are), and completely unexplained gameplay. Its pitch is inferior in every way to a mediocre game, and there are several good games on greenlight with good pitches (but that number is decreasing dramatically).

Sure, it’s a weakness of greenlight that it favors elevator pitch games, but they don’t even alleviate that weakness by including links to a demo.

• Anthile says:

But…justice must be served.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

• frightlever says:

Galactic Arms Race is okay, last I looked many months ago, but it got kinda grindy and then it dumped you into a multi-player Arena full of gankers.

• Baines says:

I haven’t played Galactic Arms Race in a long time. During the beta, it always felt like an idea that lacked a game. Procedurally generated weapons that you loot from foes and could tweak in the workshops was an interesting concept. But it was too hard to visualize what the tweaks were doing (particularly on more complicated patterns) which made that part pure trial and error, and the game itself was repetitive and boring.

• The Random One says:

Obviously what we need is to add orcs to Drox Operative. Orcs and farts.

Dorcs Operafartive coming 2014.

• MykulJaxin says:

May I confess something horrible? I read the bit on Droxperaotive the other week and I thought, “This looks amazing, why did I downvote this on Greenlight?” After reading the article, I knew it was something I needed and wanted to make all my RPS friendlies happy to boot. But I still haven’t changed my vote. I’m going right now to fix it. Could it be that my laziness prevented Droxorperttii from being released this batch of Greenlight titles?

EDIT: The deed is done.

• CobraLad says:

There is rather large demo for nonbelievers. It should be distributed on streets to increase Drox awareness.

• frightlever says:

Maybe the demo is WHY it’s being down-voted. No actual opinion on the game but it isn’t as if Valve have a policy to keep them off Steam, there’s got to be SOME reason.

• Baines says:

No name recognition, no promotion, no coverage by sites.

People aren’t even realizing that the game exists, much less downloading the demo to try it and then upvoting it on Greenlight.

Plus, it hasn’t been in a bundle. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are even some people who have downvoted it because they don’t have an easy way to get a free Steam key if it gets Greenlit (or downvoted it in the belief that downvotes help other titles get Greenlit.)

• derbefrier says:

Drox operative wasn’t that great imo. The ship movement just felt so slow and clunky I could hardly stand to play it for very long, which is a shame because everything else about it seemed cool but I could never play it long enough without getting bored to see if it got better.

4. Ein0r says:

So many games i never heard of and probably never will. Nor do i have the time to look up all those titles.

5. Viroso says:

Without Greenlight, would those games be on Steam?

• Greggh says:

Prolly not (or at least not so soon) because, MONEY! etc.

• The Random One says:

Nothing is known about how Steam chose indies to join Steam before Greenlight, and very little is known about how they choose them through Greenlight other than that a lot of wants does have some weight, so the correct answer is *shrugs* prolly not, but who knows…?

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

As someone who’s currently trying to get coverage from RPS and failing, it made me think about greenlight in the context of that. As a developer I see them both as curation and have no right to expect to get on either. I’m not sure why it could be OK for RPS to have a closed system of curation and not OK for Valve, especially since Valve are taking steps to address it.

My opinion is that RPS should curate the things that they’re interested in and Valve should curate the things they’re interested in, that is the value of those services. Greenlight, being used as a flag for valve, to point them in the direction of things they can get interested in, is just a tool to enable that process and seems to me like a successful one?

• InternetBatman says:

That’s all well and good, but Steam has a far greater reach than RPS and far more differentiated consumer tastes to serve. I doubt RPS has ever had 6 million concurrent users, Steam had that two nights ago. There are limits to human and organizational attention spans and predictive ability.

Valve has reached those limits, and Greenlight is a kludgy attempt to extend them. It’s not about desire to highlight things, it’s about desire to serve a huge and increasing customer base.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

I’m not arguing about whether greenlight is self serving I’m arguing that greenlight is a step towards a more open system that valve didn’t need to take. A lot of the criticism of it seems founded on the idea that valve are mistreating developers and that those developers livelihoods depend on it. I’d argue Press Coverage, particularly from RPS is more important because it fuels churnalism and viral growth, being on steam doesn’t sell your game in and of itself, unless you’re on the feature page and that is just an ad.

• InternetBatman says:

Valve absolutely had to take it, because they have to provide the complete pc gaming service to their customers or else the outside market will increase dramatically and they’ll lose the power of being the monolith in pc gaming.

Think about the different problems that Steam faces from competitors: Humble Store which did what steam wanted to do, but earlier, and quickly built a huge following; GoG, which offers niche products and improved services that ensure profitability, as well as being backed by a powerful development team; Origin and Battlenet, which weakens Steam’s market position and ability to negotiate with f2p games, games with dlc, and major publishers; and Microsoft, which has a built in store, even if it is crippled now, and all kinds of nasty ways to possibly sideline their product.

The only solution is to offer the best, easiest, and most differentiated service possible. That means offering the games your customers want to play, not the games you think are meritorious. This way customers will have no reason to leave, Valve games will keep on drawing new ones, and publishers have to play nice with them for now.

• Shuck says:

“greenlight is a step towards a more open system that valve didn’t need to take.”
          Well, it’s a step they wanted to take, as it benefits them, if nothing else. It’s no coincidence that Greenlight appeared after the success of Minecraft, as they clearly saw what happened there and said, “We should get in on that sort of dynamic – we could foster the growth of the next Minecraft from the beginning (and profit by it).” Perhaps they did it for entirely altruistic reasons, hoping to help out indie game development, perhaps they realized that with the indie explosion they couldn’t keep up with the torrent of games using their existing approval system, perhaps they just wanted to be a part of – and get a cut of – the next Minecraft without expending any resources. Likely it was a combination of all three. Ideally Greenlight would act as an adjunct for their previous approval process, catching games with a fan base that flew under their radar. Used that way, it would be a good thing. However, I don’t know that it is being used that way, and it’s a pretty poorly put together system. I cringed when they unveiled it, as they made a lot of foreseeable blunders. As it stands, it’s a poor tool for finding or evaluating potential games, and the system almost entirely relies on developers having outside websites that do the marketing of the game and drive traffic to Greenlight (and yet Greenlight doesn’t seem to really acknowledge that in the way it’s set up). So I don’t think Greenlight is even working the way Valve want it to.

7. InternetBatman says:

Glad to see Orc Attack Flatulent Rebellion got through. It will carry the torch of enlightenment to the impoverished masses of Steam.

On a more serious note, I think we’re going to start seeing blog posts about how getting onto Steam is not the payday it used to be. Most of the best (and many of the mediocre) greenlit games have been sold in bundles, and I think they’re past the point where they could release a greenlit game a day to put it in the spotlight. Sure, some of the Kickstarter games (including failed Kickstarter games), will lighten the schedule now, but they’ll eventually come out (or do early access).

On the other hand, I’m more likely to get around to playing Zigfrak and the Real Texas.

8. killias2 says:

I’m seriously sick to death of RPS’s negative attitude towards Greenlight. Is Greenlight perfect? No. Is it better than the old system? Yes. Is there a clear alternative? Not really, depending on what you want from something like this. There are a lot of things to balance, and it’s not clear to me that alternatives would be able to fix Greenlight’s problems without creating problems of their own.

• InternetBatman says:

Agreed. I would like to hear their idea on what a successful greenlight would look like rather than empty criticism. It’s easy to denigrate, it’s hard to suggest solutions.

• The Random One says:

I don’t know what RPS’ stance is, but I have a very simple solution: stop trying to pretend that their stuff is curated when games like The War Z are clear indicators that it is not, and sell every game people want to sell there. Stick them in an Xblig style separate storefront if you must, but don’t pretend you’re doing it for the customer’s sake.

• dE says:

And that way Steam would lose its meaning for Indies entirely. The Storefront means exposure, especially the New Releases Tab or that Slideshow Thing they have above it. Sales mean exposure too. Relegating that to either its own category or drown it in the midst of a dozen other new releases decreases that exposure drastically.

• SkittleDiddler says:

How many indie releases ever make it to the storefront? Being greenlit or simply known as “indie” does not guarantee a coveted feature slot.

Of course, if underwhelming hipster shite like Knights of Pen and Paper can make it to the storefront, I suppose there’s hope for every indie game.

• dE says:

Nether
            Path of Exile
            Blood of the Werewolf
            Eldritch
            Kerbal Space Program
            Nuclear Throne

Do I really need to go on? And to your question how many get there. All of them. See New Releases Tab.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You listed a handful of relatively high-profile indie games. Out of the rest of the thousands of indies that clutter the Steam Store, which of those do you think can actually afford to pay Valve to feature them on the front page?

I’m not talking about the New Releases tab, obviously — any new title release gets listed there as a matter of course.

• BooleanBob says:

The cynic in me says: it’s a stance that expedites any of those wholesome human interest pieces that might pop up along the road. If you want to facilitate the heartwarming story of yon plucky devs struggling to bring all their dreams to fruition – and have it read more like an inspiring tale of overcoming the slings and arrows of outrageous bureaucracy, and less like the result of a transparent and canny effort on the part of said devs to manipulate the press into drumming up huge exposure for their endless runner, er, game – it helps to have built up an antagonist more immediately torch-n-pitchforkable than the ghost of consumer indifference to loom large over the narrative.

The non-cynic in me thinks the cynic in me is a tiresome, fatuous bore, and what’s worse, a conspiracy theorist. But he hasn’t come up with a better alternative to Greenlight either.

• Lemming says:

Agreed. I’d love to know why Greenlight ‘isn’t working’, because I’ve yet to see this answered.

• mwoody says:

Agreed wholeheartedly. It’s a system that has resulted in a combination of curated store and open-ended indie paradise, and it’s from the largest name in the industry. I’m continually astonished to see people angry that independent games are getting mainstream attention just because some obscure or problematic favorite didn’t make the cut.

9. golem09 says:

Finally Parallax was greenlit.

• Llewyn says:

Hmmm. Sure, the title music was one of Martin Galway’s masterpieces but I’m really not sure how well the gameplay will hold up – can’t help thinking that Valve have missed the boat here and greenlit this one some 27 years late.

PS: 27 years! That is horrifying.

• tumbleworld says:

When will they let Uridium out of the ghetto? That’s what I want to know.

• Sheng-ji says:

That game was amazing!!! First game I bought as a result of a cover mounted disk demo

10. bills6693 says:

I was hoping ‘sanctions lightened’ would mean there were new rules letting more games through automatically…

I’d like it if something like ‘kickstarted games over $X value’ got through automatically. Also a new game by people already with a game on steam. Not sure what else tbh…

• InternetBatman says:

That’s a great idea, also a failed kickstarter would automatically send a prompt to developers asking if they were still working on the game before greenlighting it.

• Wulfram says:

I think the Ouya thingy discredited the idea of using a kickstarter fundraising as a gatekeeper.

• InternetBatman says:

The Ouya offered substantial financial riches to those who cheated, a steam acceptance would only offer potential gains in the face of certain and definite loss. Furthermore, it would just be a nominal platitude anyways. Most popular kickstarter games shoot through greenlight during their campaign, even some unsuccessful ones.

It would be really good at taking them off the list before they even got there, thus freeing up more spots for current games in the system.

11. rei says:

“(You know, like how unread books have to be voted to appear on Amazon… no, wait.)”

Books get on Amazon due to publishers vetting them. You know, exactly like games traditionally get on Steam? If you self-publish your fanfic in the vanity press I can promise you Amazon isn’t going to carry it either.

Is it just cool to complain about greenlight or what? And how come when people talk about making greenlight “work” it seems their definition of it working is flooding Steam with masses of games with minimal quality control?

• dE says:

Oh dear. Missed reality by a noticeable margin. The reality is: Amazon allows self-publishing of print books (via createspace) and also actively encourages self-publishing of e-books via their Kindle Format. At no point does anyone bother to check what’s actually in there or if someone other than the author thought it’d be a good idea. There are books that have more typos and grammar mistakes than I’ve made in my entire life (a lot) and make even less sense – and they’re happily sold on Amazon.

• rei says:

So what you’re saying is the lack of curation doesn’t make anything better on this Amazon createspace thing either? Which is exactly my point.

• dE says:

I’m not making any statement, just refuting your “I can promise you Amazon isn’t going to carry it”.

12. Eddard_Stark says:

Still no ALEA JACTA EST. Shame.

13. moocow says:

What exactly would “Greenlight finally working” look like, John?

If the volume, frequency and quality of approvals keeps increasing as it has been, I don’t think it can be considered the terrible solution that every single post that mentions Greenlight lazily alludes to.

• cunningmunki says:

I was just about to ask that very question.

• frightlever says:

How about this – the RPS Greenlight channel on Steam. RPS gets to highlight a few finished games every month that should be Greenlit without all that democracy nonsense (enlightened dictatorships WORK!). The only real risk would be to RPS’s reputation – ie none of this Early Access risk.

14. Ninja Dodo says:

Jesus christ, John. The Greenlight as prison analogy… Let it go. It is nonsense.

As someone who has a game in the Greenlight concepts section I’ve found it a useful tool to gain feedback and get more eyes on a project and I fully intend to submit it to regular Greenlight when it is further along. So stop acting as if you are speaking on behalf of developers everywhere.

• Greggh says:

Jesus crust, Ninja Dodo, (implicitly) calling John a grumpy-cat. Let it go. It’s nonsense.

We all oughta stop (implicititly) refer to John as the grumpo-grinch…

…Or not :)
      (Because he is grumpy. You are John, you know it! EMBRACE IT!! *evil laughter*)

• Ninja Dodo says:

He does seem very angry… which makes for some of the best AND worst posts depending on where the anger is directed. Very much misdirected in this case, I think. Rather than consider that Greenlight might actually be useful to a lot of people and by all accounts better than the old Steam submission process he persists in this narrative that Greenlight is terrible based on no logic whatsoever. It’s not perfect by any means, but the evil Greenlight John seems to be imagining does not exist.

• Greggh says:

Well, at least you realize you have to take John’s words with a pinch* of sugar everytime.

That pinch is an australian pinch, which is about 500 grams.

15. Zankmam says:

It’s just like to take a moment to tell everyone that, indeed, Sub Rosa has been Greenlight.

That is all.

• The Random One says:

We should all get together and play it. With me. Because I haven’t played it yet and I want to.

16. Antlia says:

Yeah I’ll add my voice to the crowd and ask, what exactly makes Greenlight so rotten in the first place?

• FriendlyFire says:

The biggest criticism about Greenlight is that it’s a popularity contest, followed by the fact that there’s no clearly defined point where a game is greenlit. You can get very high in the rankings and have games lower than you get greenlit first and no reason is given by Valve.

The first criticism is entirely valid, but I’ve never seen an alternative given. Popularity contests mean smaller games might be lost in the crowd, but I don’t see how else you could do it in a way that doesn’t require extensive resources (which Valve doesn’t want to invest).

The second criticism I think Valve is trying to address by releasing more games and being less picky about things. At least, I’ve heard that criticism a lot more frequently early on than I do now.

• InternetBatman says:

Sales and the marketplace in general are also a popularity contest.

• Ninja Dodo says:

And the more games get onto the Store (which is what critics claim they want) the more that’s going to be true of Steam.

I think a more open system will be a good thing, but you’ll still have to work to let people know your game exists.

• mwoody says:

As is media coverage. The hilarity here is that many of the criticisms leveled at Greenlight can be applied to RPS, too. Which, I should clarify, isn’t a knock at RPS, but a knock on Greenlights’ detractors: yes, it IS a popularity contest. That’s how capitalism works.

• darkChozo says:

While that’s true, the reason that this is an issue to begin with is that getting on Steam is A Big Deal for indies, while getting on RPS is less so. Great power begets great responsibility and such.

• derbefrier says:

Responsibility to do what exactly? Being as “fair” as possible? That’s not realistic as what’s fair will change dpending on the weather and who you ask and what phase the moon is in.

• The Random One says:

Sales and the marketplace are indeed a popularity contest, which is exactly why it’s such a bad idea to force another popularity contest before you can enter the one that does give you money.

• Ninja Dodo says:

But that’s just nonsense. Any work you do to promote your game on Greenlight also works to make people aware that it exists, which means they will be more likely to buy it when it eventually does hit Steam or any other store. It’s not like you start over.

• Baines says:

It seems one of the ways to get through Greenlight is to effectively give your game away to buy votes. It has reached a point where it is most likely hurting future sales.

Look at the number of successfully Greenlit games that have been previously featured in bundles. And there are others that did truly give their game away for free, or promised things like free Steam keys when Greenlit.

• dE says:

The problem with greenlight translates into “Game xyz I like didn’t get through while Game zyx I didn’t like did get through. Thus the system is broken”. It’s a lose/lose situation that can’t really be solved. Allow more games in? Increase the amount of people that bitch about bad games and how they could make it onto the service. Limit the quantity and base it on user feedback? You get people moaning and raging about why this or that game didn’t get on.
        /edit:
        Also smaller games do get through. However you usually do see a certain type of games struggle with the system: Those that don’t do well on the PR side either. I’ve seen so many greenlight pages that had completely obscure descriptions about the meaning of their game, filled to the brim with buzzwords, random screenshots and maybe some dev talking about his passion – yet not a single word about the game itself and why I should vote for it.

• The Random One says:

I can’t fathom what kind of people would bitch that bad games are showing up on Steam. First, because there are already bad games on Steam, it’s just that those bad games were released by a publisher. And second, I often buy at Gamersgate, whose special offers page is littered with strange and confusing shovelware, and yet a minimal amount of due dilligence allows me to not waste my money on those – while, conversely, I sometimes discover that a game I had discounted as shovelware is actually great and available there.

It worries me that some people might be so dependant on Steam that they will assume all that they sell is good, and nothing they do not sell is good.

17. Gassalasca says:

I want Crimson Land!

18. Paul says:

Greenlight seems like a great tool now, there seem to be many more games let inside much faster than ever before, AND they are liked by community. What’s with the hate?

19. blobb says:

STUPID QUESTION BUT I DON’T CARE:

Will there ever be time soon, where there’s… too many games?

Like, everyone makes games now. Everyone. Can Steam only be a storefront for so much? Will it ever buckle under the immense avalanche of new releases? Won’t the rate of new stuff keep increasing exponentially until nobody benefits because of over-saturation?

• dE says:

Given how people raged about older games popping up in new releases and pushing back actually new releases… yeah, there seemingly is such a thing as too many games getting onto the service at the same time.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

You don’t have to play all of them.

• blobb says:

I’m not talking about myself, more the actual content creators.

Won’t Steam become less and less valuable as a platform as it becomes saturated in a tidal wave of games?

• tormos says:

In the dark future of the 41st millennium, THERE IS ONLY GAMES

20. MrNash says:

Quite a few games in this batch that I’m interested in, particularly Ninety-Nine Spirits, Eschalon Book Three, and Magicite. Not sure if I’ll ever have time to finish all the games that get ploughed through Greenlight now, though. >_<

21. Vinraith says:

Ah Greenlight, where I can go to beg for a game to be released on Steam that I could just as easily go buy from any number of less restrictive distribution platforms right now.

22. kalirion says:

Very happy for Oozi: Earth Adventure – it’s the most polished pure (non-puzzle, non-punishment) indie platformer I’d played in a long time.

And Eryi’s Action is quite good as well, but not for the easily frustrated as it’s a IWBTG type of game. The various ways it finds to kill you are quite varied and hillarious the first time you encounter each one.

Ironically (maybe?) two of the games here – Frozen Hearth and Zigfrak – are currently in the Build-A-Greenlight-Bundle 4. Reminds me of how Race The Sun was greenlit while on the Not On Steam sale :)

23. Treymoney says:

Woo, the Real Texas! That game’s great!

24. Bull0 says:

Everyone needs to play Trash TV, I am not just saying this because I’m mates with the chap that made it

25. fish99 says:

Never thought I’d see iRacing on Steam, since it’s a walled off service, rather than a game as such. It’s cool though, and I hope this and Assetto Corsa getting greenlit brings some new people into sim racing. I’m sure your average gamer barely even knows they exist.

26. Nurdell says:

Ring Runner – yes!

27. johnbolive says:

my best friend’s mother-in-law makes $63/hr on the computer. She has been fired for 6 months but last month her pay was $18525 just working on the computer for a few hours. pop over to these guys
    ————-> READ MORE

28. Zorn says:

Jets and Guns. I wasted all the hours on it. I wasn’t even able to play games for about three years because of all the hours. Jets and Guns and the remake of Sid Meier’s Pirates! And then suddenly it was five years later.