Titanfall PC Release Same As Xbox, No Windows 8

By Nathan Grayson on October 30th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Today you may have felt a slight aftershock from a downright seismic shift over in console land. You know that Titanfall man/robo-shoot/parkour everyone (including yourself) can’t stop making enthusiastic word-gurgles about? Well, it’s no longer a timed Xbox exclusive. Now it’ll always stomp around in Microsoft’s impossibly green pastures, and Sony will just have to hope the numerically confused giant doesn’t lock down a potential sequel as well. But what about little old us? Are we out of luck as well? Turns out, nope, we’re a-okay. I got in touch with Respawn in fear of potential delays and arbitrary requirements for Titanfall’s PC version, and the developer quickly put my worries to rest.

Respawn’s Abbie Heppe told RPS that a major shakeup on the console side won’t have any effect on Titanfall’s PC prospects. She wrote: “Titanfall is releasing simultaneously for XB1, 360, and PC. It does not require Windows 8 on PC.”

So, despite Microsoft’s dodgy history and propensity for worrisome words in this area, Titanfall won’t be suffering in the slightest. Hurrah!

Titanfall, then, will be unfortunately un-helmeted heads (and, by virtue of that, into our lives) on March 13th, 2014. It recently stole this year’s Eurogamer Expo, which is a shame because those are expensive and hard to replace. I suppose I can forgive it, though, because ours is a world where exciting triple-A games are few and far-between. Also, it’s promised it will return Eurogamer Expo soon, and it’s sent over pictures that seem to indicate Eurogamer Expo is even having a fairly nice time.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Leb says:

RPS should post the trailer again :P

2. Stardreamer says:

“No Windows 8″ is not quite the same thing as “It does not require Windows 8 on PC”, Nathan. Let’s avoid the Gawker Media headlines in future, eh?

Also: Booo to console exclusivity deals in general. Free the games to roam where they will!

• SuicideKing says:

Well, i interpreted the headline as “not Windows h8 exclusive” so i cant see what he did wrong there.

• Stardreamer says:

I read it as “Not available on Windows 8″. Point is, the headline does not convey the quoted text accurately and is open to some quite alarming misinterpretation.

• Vagrant says:

I also read this and was slightly worried. I figured it just wasn’t an OS exclusive, but that’s not news so why mention it? The game’s published by EA, not Microsoft. I was thinking that there might have been a Win8 incompatability though, and I’m not wanting to switch OSes (I love love love Win8).

• SnowCrash says:

Somebody who likes W8? Wow your just like an unicorn or something aren’t you?

• Stardreamer says:

Hurrah! Then I must be a Unicorn too! Yaaay!

• Ulaxes says:

Me, too! Yay! Win 8.1 is really cool. That being said, I actually have a band called ‘Blast unicorn’

• Stardreamer says:

How do I promote you to Top Comment, Ulaxes?

Blast Unicorn = Awesome.

• Ulaxes says:

Thanks, Stardreamer! :)
            Our album “Van Halo” should be out at the beginning of next year.

The songtitles are neat, too. Like:
            Ausgeburt of Love
            Nonnenfinsternis
            Ghostmodern
            Schattenspender

• lucasdigital says:

Stardreamer , me too. I’m still breathing into a brown paper bag. Headline brevity be damned!

• Annoyinggorilla says:

Lurid click bait. *shudders*
            There’s a caffeine overdosage behind this provocation, I warrant.

• SuicideKing says:

Well, i guess you could think that, though it would barely make any sense.

darkChozo says:

It’s a headline. If it were any longer (like, say, adding “exclusivity” to the end) it would get pushed to two lines.

Besides, it’s not exactly a huge leap in logic to figure that it’s talking about exclusivity, given that Titanfall is a borderline Microsoft property and that Microsoft has used game exclusives to try to push Windows versions before.

• fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Titanfall PC=XB1, No Win8 Rqrd

Sorted. It’s about time this RPS thing joined the 21st century (C21). AND WHERE’S MY DUBSTEP?

• mtomto says:

I read it the same way… anyway, this is 1 headline among 1000 other hard-to-decipher-headlines at RPS.

I like the funny headlines in general, but this one was just bad :)

3. kud13 says:

No win 8 is nice. What about Origin?

• Dude (Darloc) says:

Are we still doing this? My god, leave it be, you do not want origin, find don’t play the game.
      Let me guess you do not have steam either right?

Cinek says:

He probably doesn’t have any of the other 50 local, and global digital distribution adware applications.
        How about we encourage publishers to move away from “21st century DRM” instead of encouraging them to use it like you do?

• Dude (Darloc) says:

Ok, to be honest I am not bothered by it. The only down part I can see is if one day EA or Valve died and do not release their whole catalog to dl after that (even that would be problematic to store all the games).
          The benefit to me outweigh the fact that’s it drm to me. First I can buy all my game so that’s what I do, dvd are also drm in disguise, if you brake it you are done with it. I get my game patched up without having to download from a third party site and get mixed up if I missed a patch, I also like the fact that I can redownload the game which save me having to look or keep the DVD in my ever growing box of old games.
          Regarding Origin, I did not have any problem with it so far, my only grip is the same advert appearing over and over each time I start it but that’s about it. I love steam but I think it has the monopoly over digital distribution which is a problem, so anyone willing to take them on is welcome.
          EA is still perceived as evil, strange they gave a lot for not much during their humble bundle (but of course that’s probably a push for Origin the cynic will say) and I am looking forward to titanfall and bf4, maybe I am the only one here, it so hipster to trash EA anyway.

• Sheng-ji says:

It’s so hipster to not bother to spell properly too.

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

dvd are also drm in disguise, if you brake it you are done with it.

My whole PC is DRM in disguise—if I break it, I can’t play any of my games.

My body is in fact also DRM in disguise—if I die, I can’t play any of my games.

Oh my god. I’ve just realised: the whole universe is DRM in disguise. It’s DRM all the way down!

• Dude (Darloc) says:

First, English is not my first language so give me a break. Second, yes the whole universe is DRM. What I meant sorry if it wasn’t clear, is that for most of my DVD only game I need to have the disk in the drive, no disk no game. I know there is cracks for them but I am pretty sure you can also find some for most Origin or Steam games.

• kud13 says:

I do in fact have Steam. keep it in offline mode whenever I’m not buying anything

I also have Origin, since it actually had a working offline mode even before Steam. Having something and liking having to use it are two different things, however.

GOG got a lot of money out of me in the past few years by releasing games I already have on Steam completely DRM-free.

• MykulJaxin says:

I actually came here to ask the same question. I don’t like EA’s bizarre exclusive attitude to games (I’m sure it’s been said that they’d probably shift more copies of their games if they opened them up to the Steam people) and their excuses for removing stuff from Steam were vague at best. That’s my main reason for not having Origin. It’s more of “I’m tired of EA being a stinky group of diaper-eaters” than “I don’t want to install another application”, although that is part of it.

• Lev Astov says:

“I’m tired of EA being a stinky group of diaper-eaters”

I couldn’t have said it better. I’ll buy some of their games when they’re awesome, but I’d definitely spend more on EA stuff if they weren’t the above.

• Jools says:

This is stupid. Steam is the de facto PC game platform these days. EA is only making things inconvenient for consumers by refusing to release their games on it. Hate that Valve has this market cornered? Fine, give me a Steam key and an Origin key and let me decide which platform I’d rather use. That won’t ever happen, of course, because EA isn’t actually capable of competing with Valve on that front.

We could have major publishers getting behind a platform that makes PC gaming convenient for everyone, but instead we get publishers throwing temper tantrums and making things worse for the people who actually buy their games.

• Annoyinggorilla says:

What an eminently sensible post. I registered to reply. Part of the Humble Bundles successful recipe is down to offering a choice that includes Steam keys for their titles.
          EA should do the right thing by the end user, and allow their titles their rightful place amongst others on the Steam platform.

• Ender7 says:

Origin is right up there with GFWL. I have not bought a single game from origin and I never will. If EA does not want my money, that is fine with me. There are plenty of other games I can buy from that does not pull this mandatory DRM BS.

• Dude (Darloc) says:

Origin is nothing close to the piece of crap that was GFWL, honestly never had a problem with Origin when I played Mass effect 3, Mirror edge or bf3, GFWL on the other hand. If you have not even tested it, please do not pass judgement. You can disprove EA having their online distribution system but it is not as bad as GWFL and for me at least worked ok.

• Thysios says:

That’s just down right wrong. People hate GFWL because it’s bad. It doesn’t work properly half the time, people are always having problems with it. It literally DOESN’T WORK in some countries, so people from those countries cannot legally buy/play any games on GFWL.

Origin is disliked mostly because people simply don’t want to use it. They’d rather just use Steam, it’s more convenient to have everyone on the one digital distribution platform.

I know some people have had a lot of trouble with Origin, but it’s no where near the level that GFWL is at. At least EA actually support Origin.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Get on it RPS, we need answers! I’ll buy it if the only drm is steamworks, otherwise it’s a pass.

4. BobbyDylan says:

I honestly don’t get the hype around this game. But then I dont get the hype around the Cawadoodi games either.
    They could make it a WiiU exclusive for all I care.

• Low Life says:

I don’t understand the need for every Titanfall related article to have people commenting how they don’t understand the hype for the game.

• Squirly says:

It sometimes feels necessary to temper the gaming press’ propensity for slavering over something that looks to be not that ground-breaking anyway.

Let’s be honest here, it’s CoD with jetpacks and robots. Not to sell jetpacks and robots short, but is that all that’s required to have every media outlet start furiously masturbating when they talk about it?

• Low Life says:

Does “I don’t care about your favourite game” make you enjoy your favourite game any less?

I’d somewhat understand it if it was a meaningful post with at least some analysis of the game, but why even click on the article if you’re only going to tell everyone on the Internet that you don’t care about its subject?

Let’s also be really honest and not say that the game is Call of Duty with jetpacks and robots, because it quite clearly isn’t.

• Lev Astov says:

You know COD was really fun once, right? It got old real fast when they released 15 versions of the same thing, though. That’s why the press and other tired FPS aficionados get overexcited about COD with jetpacks, parkour, and giant robots; it’s something to make that fun new again for a little while. We’ll be right back to ignoring it once Titanfall 4 gets announced, though.

• TomA says:

Titan: Fall of Duty?

• Lusketrollet says:

It quite clearly is.

Mungrul says:

Personally, I’m not that interested in the game, but this whole paid exclusivity thing strikes me as being a pretty damned stupid move on EA’s behalf. I mean, if you’ve got 3 potential platforms to release on and you cut one out completely (or 5 and 2 if you count current gen boxes), you’ve reduced potential market size by 33% (40% in the case of 5 platforms). Have Microsoft REALLY offered up enough cash to cover the loss of a third of potential sales?

Let alone which, not likely to happen I know, but all of this money being thrown at an unfinished game being made by a new developer? Yeah, that could end in tears if the final thing ends up sucking.

• SuicideKing says:

Even less, in fact: the Xbone won’t even launch properly worldwide before the end of next year, the fourth PlayStation will end up in most countries (where its release is planned) by Q1 next year.

• iainl says:

They may have lots of ex-IW people, but they’re sort of still a new team. A fat wodge of cash in exchange for moving straight onto the sequel that learns from the mistakes made on the first one, rather than spending time on a port could well be a good thing.

• Baines says:

EA must have thought so, at least.

Microsoft can’t afford to buy Call of Duty exclusivity from Activision. There Microsoft can only manage to force a one-month delay on DLC.

Titanfall is a new IP and from a different publisher. Maybe EA isn’t certain that Titanfall will be an immediate massive success. Or maybe EA just didn’t feel like funding simultaneous PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, and PS3 developments, and some money waving on Microsoft’s part helped them decided to drop the PS4/PS3 part. Or the deal could involve benefits other than simple money, such as favoritism on other titles, reduced or dropped fees and restrictions, etc.

Cinek says:

“Maybe EA isn’t certain that Titanfall will be an immediate massive success” – I’m quite certain it won’t be.

6. Knurek says:

It does not require Windows 8.
    It requires Windows 8.1 :D

7. Dominic White says:

The most questionable thing about this whole story is that, according to Respawn, they DID have plans for a Playstation 4 version. EA sold Microsoft the platform-exclusivity rights without consulting the people actually making the game.

Between that and nuking C&C and killing the studio, EA were back to their old tricks in force yesterday.

8. TormDK says:

I would hope so, given that it’s a free upgrade and has several improvements to the Windows 8 experience.

9. superkickstart says:

I don’t really get the windows 8 hate. There are some features in it that i don’t care of but right now it’s definitely better PC-gaming os than Windows 7 or any other os for that matter.

Cinek says:

lol
      What a joke.

• superkickstart says:

I’m glad that you had time to write this insightful comment.

• airmikee99 says:

It’s not that hard to find any number of benchmark tests that prove Win8 is only slightly better than Win7 in certain situations, and that Win7 still blows Win8 out of the water on most other situations.

benchmark3d.com
          tomshardware.com
          pcworld.com
          techpowerup.com

The only significant difference is that Win8 can user newer DirectX 11 tools, which few games use anyway, so it doesn’t make a huge difference. If you like Win8, awesome, keep on enjoying it, but don’t pretend like it’s any better than Win7 for gaming.

• Solidstate89 says:

What “most other” situations? There’s nothing Windows 7 does faster or more efficiently than Windows 8.1.

• alseT says:

Do basic UI navigation with a mouse? Small things like that.

• Stardreamer says:

“basic UI navigation with a mouse”

Half-baked exaggerations like that one do nothing to further your cause, you know. I’ve been using Win8 since it launched and have had zero problems with mouse navigation in desktop. Metro can be a little clunky at times, granted, but at other times it’s actually really attractive and pleasing to use. 8.1 has provided a fair bit of polish in this regard so basically none of that statement corresponds to my current experience of the OS.

• Arglebargle says:

It was a touchscreen and mobile oriented OS released to a desktop user base with a very low percentage of touchscreen monitors. Ergonomically, many basic actions required more clicks or more mouse movement than the previous OS version.

When I get a touchscreen, I will use Win 8. Til then, the 8 upgrade path has little attraction. Also, I never upgrade a Microsoft OS of any sort until it has had its first major patch.

• Solidstate89 says:

You and me both, brother. You and me both. It feels like Windows Vista all over again, with people spouting nonsense because “their friend” told them it was bad. Nevermind the fact that most of Vista’s woes came from under-performing hardware due to the cheap-ass OEMs simply rebranding XP computers with Vista despite the fact they had no right in hell running a more heavy OS.

• MrUnimport says:

Surely if the OS is heavier that’s a legitimate knock against it?

• Solidstate89 says:

Sure, if you run it on older hardware. It was absolutely a knock – so much so that Microsoft has made it a point that Windows 7’s hardware requirements were lower than Windows Vista’s and Windows 8’s are also even lower than 7’s.

That doesn’t excuse the OEMs from simply taking their XP hardware at the very last minute and slapping Vista onto it when the hardware itself had no right ever running it.

• Stardreamer says:

…No, I really like Win8 but there were plenty of legitimate reasons to despise Vista. Sometimes turds are really just turds.

• pyjamarama says:

That’s what the cool kids do they hate on windows 8, even f it performs better then Windows 7 and new games will perform better on Windows 8, see BF4, and it’s adoption among gamers is 2 times the normal rate, already 17% on Steam but no even at 10% in the overall PC market. But the cool kids have to have there memes so die Windows 8

• RedWurm says:

A bit of a weird comparison there. I would imagine gamers have a faster adoption rate of a lot of technology – hardware and software – than the market average, and someone who just browses the web and plays solitaire is probably still going to be perfectly happy with XP. It only tells you that someone with a shiny new PC is unlikely to hate windows 8 enough to bother replacing it with windows 7. I still have vista installed on my laptop, but that doesn’t mean I loved vista and all criticism of it was unfounded.

amateurviking says:

Regardless of what you think of Windows 8. The news that those of us – for whatever reason – who haven’t upgraded won’t be compelled to upgrade for this game is good, right? Especially as at the moment there isn’t a technical reason to upgrade (e.g. the DX9/10 thing with Vista).

• SuicideKing says:

Windows h8 is hated on because:

They took the best OS they’ve ever made, and utterly destroyed the UI.

On top of that, they actively tried to prevent users from reverting to the old interface, forced touchscreen mode on everyone, made a half-assed attempt at the touchscreen mode, messed stuff up, ignored user feedback, etc.

I could go on, but long story short is that it functionally adds very little over Windows 7 (in some cases impedes functionallity), and tries to be an over-sized app rather than an OS that does what an OS is supposed to: provide a solid foundation for other applications to function on, without getting in the way.

Among techies and non-techies alike (who i know personally), the opposition towards Metro and Win h8 far outweighs the support. I’ve tested two windows 8 notebooks (both touchscreens, one was an XPS 12). Found Win 8 and the touchscreen useless on the notebook, and the XPS 12 was just pointless overall.

If we want M$ to focus on the desktop again, there MUST be as much opposition to Win 8 as possible. This could have been Win 7 + WinFS for PC users, with a separate optional UI for tablets. No one would be complaining then. WIn 8 just doesn’t make sense.

10. Solidstate89 says:

I don’t understand how anyone could have ever believed it would be “Windows 8 only.” How would Microsoft even do that? It’s not using DX 11.2 exclusively. And it can’t be a Metro application as the APIs that are available simply aren’t capable of supporting a piece of software as complex graphically and computationally as a desktop game.

Was this just a self-made “controversy?”

• Dominic White says:

Because Microsoft made Skulls of The Shogun (now thankfully on Steam) and their Halo twin-stick shooter Windows 8 only, despite neither being cutting edge DX11.2 software. Microsoft also made Halo 2 a Vista exclusive.

Microsoft have a track record here. People are just glad they’re not doing it again.

• superkickstart says:

Those windows 8 games are made for mobile devices like tablet though. No “serious” games (yet)

• Solidstate89 says:

I think you’re missing my point here. There was no physical way for them to limit it to Windows 8. Those games you listed for the Windows 8 Store? They’re capable of running within the API confines of the Metro applications. Titanfall is not, so that “fear” is a moot point and completely thrown out.

Then you bring up Halo 2 – that was made exclusive to Vista because it exclusively ran on Direct X 10 – which as we all know was unavailable to Windows XP. Again, as I said, this game does not use a Direct X version that is exclusive to Windows 8 and up. So…where was the fear?

There was none, it was self-manufactured.

• SuicideKing says:

Dude, Halo 2 ran on Windows XP just fine. There was a crack and all. Yes i’m guilty, but it worked. Heck, it released for the Xbox 360, which only supports D3D9.

So yeah, i actually did have this fear that M$ might, and i second what Dominic White said. Of course, it’s an EA game, so it was far less likely than say, Halo 5.

• Baines says:

And what about Fallout 1? It isn’t quite the same, but getting the “Designed for Windows 95″ logo on your box cover led to sometimes nonsensical situations.

Microsoft rejected Fallout 1 from Windows 95 certification because Fallout 1 also ran without issue on Windows NT. To get Win95 certification, the developers had to add a launcher that intentionally failed when run on an NT machine.

• Solidstate89 says:

The Xbox runs a specialized version of Direct X with more features and much lower level API access. To say the 360 only ran “D3D9″ is an oversimplification.

• Moraven says:

Shadowrun was DOA due to the Vista requirement. The only thing it had going was 360 cross platform play… but that never came in future games.

• Bull0 says:

Speaking as someone who played quite a lot of Shadowrun, it was DOA because it wasn’t very good, to be honest

11. pupsikaso says:

I can’t fathom deals like this. What could Microsoft possibly offer that would make these guys agree to losing countless sales of the game on PS4?

12. aeromorte says:

Yeah well AC4 was supposed to be released on the pc at the same time when it was released on consoles … and now what? Ill belive when ill see it.

13. PopeRatzo says:

The headline seems to indicate that Titanfall won’t run on Windows 8 PCs. That can’t be right.

14. Sic says:

Why would anything be Windows 8 exclusive?

It’s essentially the same OS as Windows 7.

• DatonKallandor says:

Because it’s Microsoft with a terrible(ly unpopular) OS. Their answer number one is to buy up developers to develop inexplicable exclusives. And if they destroy a couple of beloved franchises or companies in the process (Shadowrun, FASA with Vista) it’s no bother to them.

• Solidstate89 says:

The devs are owned by EA. This wasn’t from a developer owned by Microsoft like Bungie was with Halo 2. This whole “fear” was total bullshit from the get-go.

15. johnbolive says:

my best friend’s mother-in-law makes $63/hr on the computer. She has been fired for 6 months but last month her pay was $18525 just working on the computer for a few hours. pop over to these guys
    ————-> READ MORE

16. Chillz says:

This made me giggle, well written Nathan : )

17. Eggy says:

Meh. Looks to be the next dudebro shooter. I’ll steer clear of this one.