Techland’s Hellraid Helldelayed To 2014

By Alec Meer on October 31st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Hellraid is the next violence-mare due from the e’er unpredictable Techland stable, and it is some manner of first-person sword-stabbing game. Whether it would join the ranks of the vanishingly few effective first-person melee games was something we were due to find out in the few remaining weeks of 2013. No longer! Techland have pushed it back to next year, in the wake of mixed tester feedback. In other words, they want to make the knob bits not-knob.

On top of that, there’s the simple-if-nebulous issue of polish. Er, I mean as in making the game suitably shiny and robust, rather than making a weird swipe at the nationality of Techland. “If we released our game this year,” says game producer Marcin Kruczkiewicz, “we would have to make too many compromises and the final product probably wouldn’t meet all our promises and players’ expectations.” Those are words a certain Mr Peter M should probably get engraved on his desk.

Mostly the delay’s down to player gripes in closed testing. “For example we want to redesign the magic system to make it even more powerful and diverse, add new ways of casting spells and a set of new, more visually stunning spells,” reveals Kruczkiewicz. The team wants to use this additional time also to add new gameplay features and game modes which should make the game even more entertaining for both single player and 4-player co-op.”

No specific 2014 date has been given, instead simply the infamous phrase “when it’s done.” The delay sounds like a good thing, especially as Techland do have something of a spotty history when it comes to the release state of their games. I believe they’re directly publishing this one themselves, in digital sort of way, which hopefully frees them from certain deadline pressures in order to genuinely get the thing right.

Here’s what the rather noisy Hellraid looks like; from afar it’s the bastard son of Dead Island and Painkiller, but we shall see. In 2014. Probably.

, , .

1. Grey Poupon says:

‘No specific 2014 date has been given, instead simply the infamous phrase “when it’s done.”’

Wonder when was the last time I saw a game that was actually a finished product when it was released.
    Would really like a new good melee fps. Hope these guys have played their Dark Messiah.

• dober46 says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $65 every hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for six months but last month her payment was $12175 just working on the internet for a few hours. important link
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-= http://goo.gl/G40gh3

2. Chris says:

Reminds me of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Excellent game, go play it now!

• BobbyDylan says:

Just finished re-playing it. Such a fun game.

TBH, I’m kinda glad it got delayed. Too many good games comming out begore the end of the year (Xcom EW, Battlefield 4, X rebirth and Star Citizen Alpha dog-fighting) that I’m not sure I’ll be able to play it.
      The added polish is just an added bonus!

• The Dark One says:

Maybe the melee is more involved than the parry, slash left, slash right stuff they showed in the trailer, but I’m not that hopeful for Hellraid if Techland’s A team is working on Dying Light.

3. Firkragg says:

Hell’s Bells this looks like it could be a fun coop experience, can’t wait to poke other rpsers for a group, we’d make noises louder than hell.

4. Barberetti says:

“4-player co-op”

I’m in.

• BrainFlush says:

Just like the Dead Island series I will be playing this until I am standing on a pile of limbs and heads!

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Exactly, delayed for knob-polishing or not this is going to be a winner.

I envision much death, and laughter, and laughter cut short by death.

5. Veeskers says:

Just keep in mind that this is probably little more than a quick reskin of dead Island, right down to having a big charger-type enemy that not only seems to function identically, but makes the exact same sound effects as the one from DI (the minotaur in this trailer, the “ram” in dead Island).
    Dark Messiah this is not.

• derbefrier says:

because one similar looking enemy is enough to call it a copy paste job. some people just refuse to see joy in anything.

• Veeskers says:

No, because the whole thing looks like a reskin, and the minotaur is just a very obvious example, as it’s clearly the exact same creature with a different model (and the same sounds). I just think it would be very healthy not to expect anything more of this than Medieval Dead Island.

• BrainFlush says:

We know but it isn’t out yet. They know if they just pushed it out the door with models or sounds from DI they would never hear the end of it. So chill out.

Did you play DI and like it? If so, you will play this and like it. If not, that’s to bad as you missed out on some fun times just chopping zombies to pieces. Otherwise reserve this quick judgement until they release the game.

Sidenote: If they actually did leave in assets from DI I would find it pretty humorous as a kind of joke on the horror genre. Very cheesy in a good way. But I do not think they will. And to be honest I wouldn’t be so bothered if it was like the video portrays, sound assets being regurgitated and models animation etc.

• derbefrier says:

so what non obvious examples you got? from what i have seen of the game the only similarity i see of dead island is that its a first person game with a focus on melee. so maybe the reused some assets like “generic huge bad guy who charges you” that pretty much all FPS have these days but that’s hardly enough to write the whole game off as a “re-skinned” dead island. I see people say this in every article about this game but the only example they ever give is the minotaur and if that’s really all you got your just being cynical for the sake of it.

• Veeskers says:

What you can see of the weapon handling and combat mechanics appears to function pretty much exactly the same as in DI, aside from being able to block. Animations are very similar, and I seem to recall it being mentioned that this started as an in-house mod for DI. The minotaur is just funny to me, really. On the surface it now looks more like the 3d Di_ablo that Dead Island seemed so eager to be.
            At any rate, it certainly looks like more of a new thing than Riptide did.
            I was really just opining that people hoping for a new Dark Messiah, or something that isn’t a rebranded Dead Island sequel, will probably be disappointed. Not interested in being a Snarky Internet Commenter, so I’ll leave it at that.

• Renevent says:

It doesn’t look like a re-skin at all…the entire focus of the game is different. Hellraid is more like Hexen meets Left4Dead.

• Xeno2619 says:

Then it’s a reskin with a different completely different setting. True, it’s not zombies any more but the archetypes for the enemies are exactly the same. In the video at 0.15 with the corpse standing up has the same animation as some zombies did in DI. At 0.19 where the large axe is being dragged looks and sounds extremely similar to the wrestler animation in DI:R. At 0.37-38 there’s an enemy that resembles, moves like and has the roaring animation of a thug. At 0.40 where the player swings the axe, it’s the exact same motion that the axes in DI make when you swing them. At 0.41 there’s what looks exactly like a fire breathing floater. Then of course there’s the obvious reskin of the ram.
            Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed DI, but from what I can see in this trailer, it’s just a copy paste job. When they did it for DI:R, it was a disappointment, but I overlooked it and played it anyway. Doing the same thing into a completely different game is a really cheap and lousy shortcut for them to take.
            It looks like they just added a few features on top of it (such as the magic casting, parrying etc.) At the very least, let’s hope they fixed some of the bugs and clumsy controls, and haven’t done the exact same in Dying Light.

• Lemming says:

Even if it is a reskin, that’s a customer in me they didn’t have before. I’m sick to the back teeth of zombies games, but medieval fantasy FPS with skeletons and demons? We had Dark Messiah seven years ago and before that…Hexen? That’s a hell of a gap. We need more Hexen-types.

6. BooleanBob says:

Skeletons are such fuckers.

7. Mr. International says:

We are taking over the fantasy RPG genre. All mead will be replaced with vodka. You have been warned.

8. DasBlob says:

“In other words, they want to make the knob bits not-knob.”

“On top of that, there’s the simple-if-nebulous issue of polish.”

So they want to polish the knobs before release? Seems like the right order to do it. Carry on!

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

:D Apparently they are going to polish their nobs till issue.

9. DuneTiger says:

When I saw the article’s picture, I immediately though that I was looking at Stonekeep’s cover. Then I looked up the cover and realized that my memories retroactively update old games to today’s standards. haha

10. Shooop says:

Techland doesn’t have a good track record, and the fact that they just reskinned a charger from Dead Island to make it a guy in the stocks with a horned helmet does anything but bode well.

Maybe if they delayed it until 2015 to make a new game instead of a Dead Island mod it’d be promising.

11. Renevent says:

Damn that stinks was really looking forward to Hellraid. Well, more polish/features certainly is a good thing though so guess I’ll just have to be patient.

12. Michael Fogg says:

Heretic! Hexen! Witchhaven! Dark Messiah of Kicking People Into Spikes!

13. Greggh says:

You can’t really stab a skeleton – it’s more like you are abruptly shoving your sword in-between his ribs.