The Ministry Of Bundles: Big Brother Bundle

By Adam Smith on October 31st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

THIS IS TODAY’S MOST TERRIFYING POST. A bundle curated by Daniel Domscheit-Berg of Wikileaks containing Harlan Ellison’s point and petrify adventure I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream along with documentaries, graphic novels and hip-hop tracks about the surveillance state? There’s surely something here to give you the willies, whether you’re frightened of the leakers, the leaks, the misinformed masses, the data sniffing sneak thieves, or the apathetic attitude that left all of the windows open and doors unlocked in this Age of Information.

The Big Brother Bundle is available until November 19th and while only a couple of games are included the rest of the contents are worth looking at. They include documentaries Shadows of Liberty and Secrecy, graphic novel Subatomic and Immortal Technique’s Surveillance EP, as well as the aforementioned Ellison game.

Either 2011 or 2012 was the Year of the Bundle, but I can’t for the life of me remember which. Having said that, even if 2012 started out as the Year of the Bundle, Kickstarter claimed it long before December died. My inbox still bristles with bundle announcements but few of them stand out. There was a point around February when everybody in the world owned every game that had ever been in a bundle, the same ones recycled again and again, and reading the press releases felt like being on a carousel while somebody pelted me with eggs.

This one is different though. I approach documentaries like Shadows of Liberty exactly as I’d approach anything else that claims to offer ‘the truth’. Curious and sceptical. I automatically distrust anything that has an obvious agenda, whether I’m personally inclined to agree with it or not, and I think that approach is a far better armour than even the most robust of tinfoil hats. I haven’t seen it, or Secrecy, but I have heard Immortal Technique’s Revolutionary LPs. Great, crackling beats and what I believe are referred to as ‘socially conscious’ lyrics. Here’s one I particularly like, although Dance With the Devil is the track you’re most likely to recognise. The lyrics, on the latter particularly, go to dark places.

There are more documentaries and graphic novels to unlock at the higher tiers (currently $2.42 and $9.47 – minimum is $1), as well as Hacker Evolution Duality at the lower tier.

I loaded up I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream just now. It’s inextricably linked with Dark Seed in my mind and both games fascinated and terrified me back in the day. It’s probably fair to say that both have aged quite badly, but IHNMAIMS is superior. There’s a lot of repetition, with often unexpected deaths restarting each short story, but there’s still a creepiness that is at least partly due to the meeting of the horrifying imagery and situations with a form that, through habit, is associated with comedy.

You’ll probably want to know where your money ends up.

70% of contributions are divided equally between the 7 content providers, 25% goes to VODO and 5% goes to our chosen charity for this offer, Fight For The Future.

There you go.

, , , .

1. Kubrick Stare Nun says:

I would buy that bundle but my working class money can’t fuck with it.

• dober46 says:

my neighbor’s sister-in-law makes $65 every hour on the internet. She has been out of a job for six months but last month her payment was $12175 just working on the internet for a few hours. important link
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-= http://goo.gl/G40gh3

cpt_freakout says:

The spambot replying to you can’t be a coincidence.

No, not taking this tin foil hat off, it’s, you know, for fashion.

2. Frank says:

Wait, there’s a second person who can be called “of Wikileaks”?

Also: wow. It’s nice of them to be up-front about it, but 25% seems a little excessive. As far as I know, Humble Bundle only relies on tips (which, from me usually exceed 25% of the total, but still)…

• ambivalent says:

That’s the chap that stole all the Bank of America documents (and destroyed a bunch of others) after having a falling out with Assange. He opened a site called OpenLeaks, but refuses to actually leak anything directly. He instead “works with trusted journalists,” but so far hasn’t actually worked with them on anything.

3. Lewie Procter says:

Make sure to pair your account with Facebook.

4. bettieghornung says:

my friend makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1

Jackablade says:

Has anyone played I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream recently? I picked it up for the a first time play from Good Old Games and was kind of surprised how mediocre it was for a game that generally gets some praise. The overall premise is certainly quite interesting, but the script and design are pretty woeful and it doesn’t get a free pass for being old there because it came after plenty of amazing 2d adventure titles.

The crashing and repeatedly losing my saved games thing didn’t help either, but I guess that’s probably not something to blame the game itself for.

strangeloup says:

I’d really like a rerelease of Dark Seed; never got to play it and it always looked pretty interesting.

Picked up the bundle, anyhow, ’cause for $3 I was only missing out on was a book by a ‘world-renowned security technologist’ that sounds like a good cure for insomnia, and a conspiracy-theory graphic novel that is apparently using the term ‘cyber-detectives’ without a shred of irony.

7. sophof says:

Not too impressed with ” I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream” currently. Maybe I had set my hopes a bit too high. Haven’t played for too long, but it feels incredibly illogical in a bad way.

• puppybeard says:

I watched some of a play-through and I really can’t see what all the fuss is about.
      Then I read the short story and I really can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Maybe people were crying out for a “dark” game at the time, but if you compare it to Broken Sword, which was out within a year of it, it’s an ugly mess of a game.

8. CdrJameson says:

I Have No Mouse And I Must Steam.

(It’s out on Steam too)