Deliver With Some Fava Beans: Confederate Express

By Adam Smith on November 1st, 2013 at 8:00 am.

In an attempt to keep with the Halloween spirits for an extra few hours, I’ve created a headline as ghastly and ill-formed as Frankenstein’s monster. It’s a poor misunderstood thing but we should poke it with pitchforks and set fire to it anyhow, just in case it tries to teach us something about hubris, the human condition, or the violence that can result from alienation and shame.

Confederate Express definitely doesn’t deserve to be killed with fire though and it might even contain a few lessons for us as well. It’s on Kickstarter at the moment but has already reached its target and I can see why. The project page describes it as being “all about exploration, fighting enemies, and making your way towards the main goal: trying to survive while delivering a package.” A turn-based, strategic post-apocalyptic, role-play heavy Euro Truck Simulator? Not quite, but it looks delicious all the same.

You’re a postman, basically, but you’re not Kevin Costner. Unless you are, in which case, hi Kevin, hope you enjoy RPS. Open Range was quite good and I disagree with at least one of the choices on this list.

Back to the game. I had decided it was my sort of thing but the time I read this part of the page, about map generation:

Every time a new delivery mission begins, a world map is randomly generated around you. The map consists of sectors, and each sector represents a playable level with enemies, loot, and random world events. Among these events are storyline missions, character unlock assignments, secret areas, shops, and boss fights. Sectors without an event will still have loot and enemies present. As you travel towards your destination, you might find that some of the sectors are connected between each other, and sometimes it takes more that one to resurface on the world map again.

Add in squad management, tactical combat and groovy customisable weapons and there’s all the makings of a intriguing game. Stretch goals include destructible scenery, which I imagine they’ll definitely reach with twenty days left on the clock, and body implants. You know, like Kevin Costner’s gerbil.

The RPS lawyers have informed that it was Richard Gere’s gerbil. Sorry, Kevin.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. IanWharton says:

Holy wow. Now this is what I’m talkin’ bout.

2. SnowCrash says:

The music in that trailer is all sort’s of epic, and should be listened at on full volume. AAA developers could learn a lot from that trailer.

3. wodin says:

Funny enough I was just looking at this about an hour ago..does look interesting.

4. Niko says:

Oh my, it’s pretty.

5. Hypnotron says:

I cannot support this project because they shot their kickstarter video in front of a green screen.

just kidding. :) Actually im not sure its a green screen but it seems so.

game looks really well done.

6. mrmalodor says:

HOLY FUCK

7. megazver says:

I don’t think you’ve emphasized enough how utterly gorgeous the pixel art in this is.

• Catweasel says:

For the most part I like the art but I really loathe the 1 pixel wide legs and arms I see in a lot of pixel arty games. It’s not enough to make me not want to play but it does detract quite a bit.

• Niko says:

I know, right? Totally unrealistic! Even I have 4 pixel wide legs, and I’m not exactly a giant of a man, and my granddad had a mighty 16 pixel beard and 9 (NINE!) pixel legs!

• Synesthesia says:

Yes, i was going to post the same. Holy shit!

8. Danda says:

This game looks really cool, but I think that the Kickstarter rewards are a bit unbalanced.

9. SaintElmo says:

Backed it for the trailer music alone, very well produced Kickstarter. The video is short, concise, full of gameplay and no unnecessary ‘meet the entire team and their dog’ stuff. They got my pledge for sure.

Oh, it helps that the game looks sick fun as well :)

EDIT: Found the song, for anyone interested:

AdhesiveWombat – Anthem

10. gruia says:

it looks awesome, but the plot and setting is too shallow to give it a chance

11. LionsPhil says:

Now why’d they have to go and put zombies in it?

• cpt_freakout says:

Maybe you’ll like this: “As many of you probably know, zombies are the main enemy in the game. However, they make up only 60% of the foes. Among others there are Rebels, Confederate Army and Robots.”

Yeah, not incredibly varied either but hey, at least it’s not all zombies!

• Shaun239 says:

Also, the Zombies do have a slight twist – mainly being a result of some sort of microchip (think trauma override harnesses from Fallout) keeping the body alive after death, rather than the typical virus/infection stuff. It’s enough to stop me from rolling my eyes at the sight of zombies again at least.

12. grundus says:

Want that. The chap in the video said there would be zambies.

13. mondomau says:

That music is awesome, I will buy it for that alone if it makes it into the final game.

14. tigerfort says:

No-one else has commented on the typo in the tags. Does that mean I’m the only person who reads them other than to look for STARING EYES?

15. rfair5 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

Comment on this story