Intergalactic Predatory: Hawken Adds Bots, Invisible Mech

By Nathan Grayson on November 1st, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Does that torso look like it has a giant pair of lips to anyone else?

Hawken still hasn’t added any hawks, which is weird to me, but hope remains given that updates keep on chugging along. The latest, titled Invasion, is quite a doozy, with some oft-requested features leading the charge. Most prominently, the free-to-play first-person blast-o-stomper now has nefarious AI bots, who strut their boxy, boxy bodies in both wave-based co-op and offline training modes. There is also a new mech, because of course there is a new mech. The Predator is lithe, canny, and a friend to the animals, but you probably won’t notice its sleek form on the battlefield. It can turn invisible, you see. And now you don’t. See what I did there? See? Go below to end this trainwreck of a joke.

The Predator sounds like quite the handful, though an arsenal of slower-acting weapons should – at least, in theory – balance it out. Here’s its ace-in-the-hole ability:

“When Stalker Mode is activated, the Predator will become permanently invisible and gain the ability to see through walls. However, overall vision range is greatly reduced. Using any action that generates heat or consumes fuel while in Stalker Mode will trigger a ‘Break Cooldown’, which will cause the ability to be deactivated for a short period of time. At the end of the Break Cooldown, the ability will automatically reactivate.”

In addition to bots, two bot-based modes, and the Predator, Invasion takes a comically oversized wrench to all manner of balance issues. Repair abilities, especially, have been re-tooled, becoming markedly less effective while targets are under fire, but much more so out of combat.

The update’s available now, if you’re itching to go on a robot ghost hunt. Come to think of it, it’s been a while since I played Hawken. I should probably dive back in one of these days. I miss my walking television and his good friends/bitter enemies. I know Adhesive’s been updating the game for a while now, but has it actually gotten, you know, better because of it?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. almostDead says:

Yes, yes, a pair of lips. Maybe that thing has a melee attack.

2. uncleezno says:

Does this game have a decent-sized playerbase that’s welcoming to newbies? I loved, LOVED Tribes1/2 and the recent F2P version, but as I’ve aged out of playing games for hours every day, I’ve found I can’t keep up with people in shooters. I enjoyed this game while it was in beta for a few hours, but is it worth jumping back in for somebody with OK, but certainly not great, FPS skills?

• killmachine says:

yes and no. the playerbase is rather small at the moment because this game is not a corporate giant monster but the game itself is rather good. so, download, play it, enjoy it. you don’t have anything to loose, except some bandwidth and a little bit of time.

i am old, too, so i don’t have the 1st person shooter skills i used to have, yet i’ve managed to get to the top of the leader boards with the second match i’ve ever played online. this game is more about teamwork than anything else. if you want to be the lone wolf, you will die a horrible death!

• NothingFunny says:

The playerbase is rather small but friendly and players are separated by levels – new people aren’t matched with high level ones. There are several classes and some are for fast twitch playstyle others are more tactical fire support. Also there is a medic and the new Predator plays more like a rogue class in mmo.
      Overall Hawken has gotten much better with few last updates. It seemed ‘meh’ to me when it got public, but after Ascension I got really hooked.
      It has more depth than normal shooters and a bit hard at first, but once you get comfortable with a mech movement limitations and abilities it becomes very rewarding and fun.
      I say its worth a try or another chance if you didn’t like it before.

3. Shadowcat says:

The lips make me think of Audrey, who should probably feature in all video games.

4. kwyjibo says:

Hawken took on loads of venture capital, and so decided to launch the game on their own portal instead of Steam or any of the established players.

I’m not sure that’s working out. And Titanfall is going to suck all the air out of the mech-shooter space.

5. rfair5 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

Gap Gen says:

“Hawken Adds Bots”

Wait, what did it have before?

• Atrocious says:

Mechs.

(Sorry to spoil your joke. Also, they did have bots before. They had them in the tutorial mission. Not in the multiplayer matches though.)

7. Shinwaka says:

*Tips imaginary hat to Mr. Grayson for the Beastie Boys reference*

8. Enfuego says:

Never played Hawken. In general, I don’t particularly like multiplayer, but I LOVE co-op with bots. Stupid, stupid bots.

9. airmikee99 says:

I was excited for this and MWO before they came out, but Hawken doesn’t feel like a giant, stompy robot game, it feels like a regular FPS that looks like a robot game. So I’ll keep on happily playing MWO until someone else makes a giant, stompy robot game that looks and feels like a giant, stompy robot game.

• MrUnimport says:

I find it kind of ironic that people complain about their giant humanoid machines controlling like humans and not like tanks.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

Really clumsy humans though. Almost like the robots have an inner ear condition or something, being anywhere near a ledge results in just toppling right off it.

JiminyJickers says:

I just want a single player MechWarrior/Mech/Bot game, please can someone release something decent.

MechWarrior Mercenaries Reboot would suit me just fine.