Real Magic: Shaman – Shadows of the Last Immortal

By Jim Rossignol on November 1st, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

You there, are you interested in “a real-time strategic spell casting game based on the concepts of Wu Xing”? No? Well, you should be. Permit me to explain: High Iron Studios are making Shaman – Shadows of the Last Immortal, which is a bit of a mouthful, but leads us to a game about cast magic in carefully simulated duels. The developer explains: “Players must gather spell components from the mountain peaks, forge power medicines and magics, and then use those magics in real-time, arena-style spell duels in order to cure an ancient race of heroes who have been damned for eternity.” With 100 different spells you can make, and an intricate spell-casting system, it looks really rather interesting. There are a couple of videos explaining it all, below.

High Iron Studios would like a mere $27k on Kickstarter to make this happen. Sounds like a fairly reasonable ask to me. But then I am an optimist.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. dE says:

Reminds me a lot of Magi, which I loved. While I don’t do kickstarter, I’ll certainly follow this and see where it goes.

• gobuystyle2 says:

Wholesale handbags wallets belts scarves shoes clothes and so on.
      Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) ………. $35.99usd

• facebook34 says:

I quit working at shop rite and now I make $35th – $8th…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. He res what I do====== jobs83.COM

2. partydown says:

So…Wind? Fire? All that kind of thing?

• pin172 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://smal.ly/j8xJ4

3. malkav11 says:

Things that sound neat: almost everything.
    Word that kills my interest entirely: Real-time.

• Komm says:

Idea sounds great, tossing in traditional Chinese medicine made me flee. Reading the article it sounded more like the Aborigine concept of the Dreamtime.. Which would have been really really cool.

• Swanny says:

What if it’s like Grandia’s battle system with delays, interrupts, and what not. That would be fucking brilliant. I can’t make out what the heck is going on in the battles, though.

4. SillyWizard says:

I sincerely wish people put more thought into what they named their products. Is really about the shadows of an immortal, and is it important that he was the last one? How much bearing is this immortal and his shadow going to have on my play time? I can pretty much guarantee however much it is, it won’t be enough for me to be willing to swallow that title!

• Viroso says:

Well I imagine it’d be hard swallowing it, you could look it or touch it if that’d be satisfying enough. I can also send you a .wma file of me reading it loud.

Anyway I sometimes secretly suspect that a title is enough to make people dislike something, or at least like it less. I’m sure, I’m really sure the reason everyone hates Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever so much is because of the title. The movie is bad but it’s the title that makes you really hate it.

5. operator_23 says:

Hey guys/gals, I am the lead developer on Shaman, and hopefully you’ll allow me to add some insights into the discussion:

The game’s title: It’s a working title, and though it does have a direct relation to the game, feel free to excuse the length/epic-ness.

Real-Time/Delay/Interrupts: The cast timers/spell charging window allows the defending player a small window of time to evaluate an incoming attack and choose the best counter strategy available. The longer you charge an attack spell, the more powerful it gets. However, the longer you charge, the longer you give the defending player a chance to come up with an effective counter. Defense spells cast faster than attacks because they don’t have to travel, and this cast race is one of the key dynamics in the game.

There are many strategies to counter an incoming attack, here are just few:

- Cast a blocking defense spell to try and lessen the damage
    - Cast an attack spell that will damage the attacker’s charge ability (delay)
    - Cast a reflection spell that reflects the attacker’s next spell back toward himself/herself.
    - Cast a blind spell that renders the player unable to see their spell sling for a short period of time.

It all depends what spells you have mastered/prepared and how quickly you make a decision on which is best to use based on the situation.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask anything here in the comments I will try to answer it as best I can.

6. Hunchback says:

I quite like the concept, and that it’s based on a somewhat underused mythology/setting/whatever-you-call-it.

What will the scope of the game be, though? Do you consider it “casual” or a game that might take a while to finish?

7. Merlkir says:

Magical pseudo fantasy China?! Not a single one of the devs is Chinese. Cultural appropriation! Chinese culture and heritage are not your fantasy, don’t you know?!

Just kidding. Game looks fun!

8. JB says:

But do you have the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away, with MIND BULLETS?

Comment on this story