SLAMMED! Is Interactive Fiction With Kayfabe

By Graham Smith on November 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

The best there is, was, and ever will be?

I didn’t grow up in a house where wrestling was ever on TV, so WWF was only ever this strange thing that made my friends want to “choke slam” and “clothesline” me, or otherwise do unpleasant things to one another. Yet still I’ve picked up enough residual love from Craig to think this is cool. SLAMMED! is an interactive fiction game about wrestling, and it has a kayfabe stat.

It also has a ‘promo ability’ stat. Its early choices, as played in the demo, let you choose your name, gender, style, and whether you’re a face or a heel, as part of putting together a promo video. Me? I’m Dwayne Blood, aka Ender Gallow.

You consider your eloquence on the microphone to be your greatest asset. If there is one thing that all the professional wrestling greats have in common, it’s their charisma. Promo ability is what separates the stars from the scenery.

It spirals out from there, through your first fight and onwards, and the demo is pretty generous. You might like it. If you do, it’s £2.49 from the Chrome web store.

I’m now imagining a Crusader Kings-style RPG about wrestlers. I want to live out my Dink and Doink dreams.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. strangeloup says:

Due to a friend who would always bring the latest PS2 iteration with him when he visited, I had a fair bit of fun with the WWE consolebox games. Slightly weirdly, it’s made by a Japanese company for whom the games are their main release in the west. They tend to have amazingly deep and involved customisation/creation options, which is pretty much why I like ‘em; they’re not bad as fighting games, and replicate the TV version pretty well, but they’re certainly not up there with Virtua Fighter or Tekken.

Anyway, that was a big digression. This looks quite fun, I shall download the demo.

• Jerppa says:

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 for N64 is pretty much the best wrestling game ever made, if you can ignore the obscure wrestlers ( Easily!) and the lack of gimmick matches ( BOO! No ladder match).

• Zankmam says:

Suggesting a game that isn’t WWF No Mercy/WWE Smackdown! Here Comes The Pain/WWE Reckoning 1 and 2/Fire Pro Wrestling Returns as the best wrestling game?

Oh, the audacity!

• gobuystyle2 says:

Wholesale handbags wallets belts scarves shoes clothes and so on.
      Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) ……….

2. Wulfram says:

Oh, Choice of Games. I liked them when they were free.

• Michael Fogg says:

Yeah, I think their offer is more suited to an ad-revenue model

• Wulfram says:

Unfortunately Google cut them off. Though they seem to have been doing OK since they switched models going by their production of new games.

• The Random One says:

Google cut them off, how? That’s sad news, since their games were pretty awesome, even if I always felt they were too short and had just short of enough paths that you wouldn’t see the seams on repeated playthroughs.

3. Patches the Hyena says:

This was well worth the money on Android. The CoG game with the most replayability by far, IMO.

4. FecesOfDeath says:

If you want the Football Manager-style sim game about pro wrestling there’s Total Extreme Wrestling.

• vee41 says:

And then there’s always wrestling spirit where you guide a single wrestler through his career. Think they got WS3 coming out soon too, which should be good.