Epic’s Fortnite Still Exists, Now At Bulletstorm Dev

By Nathan Grayson on November 2nd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Do you see it? Behind that box. That stare bear is doing the stare bear stare, which is like a normal stare only bear stare bear stare stare bear bear bear stare stare bear stare

It has been far, far longer than a fortnight since we last heard even the slightest peep about Epic’s Fortnite. Many fortnights, in fact – enough to bridge the gap between last year’s PAX Prime and this very day. During that span, renowned puppy eater and fearless chainsaw-gun entrepreneur Cliff Bleszinski departed the studio for somehow greener pastures and also another Gears of War game came out or something I guess. The latter, however, was developed by Bulletstorm developer People Can Fly, who now happens to be on – you guessed it – Fornite. Also, they’ve been rechristened Epic Games Poland, a distinctly less optimistic (yet far more factually accurate) name, if you ask me.

The developer confirmed Fortnite’s continued existence to Pixel Enemy:

“Multiple Epic studios, including Epic Games Poland, are working on Fortnite.”

“We’ve changed the studio’s name from People Can Fly to Epic Games Poland. We’re a global company with talented people working toward one goal across the world. We think this helps better reflect that.”

Granted, this likely isn’t the same People Can Fl– er, Epic Games Poland that created the likes of Painkiller and Bulletstorm. A number of key staffers, including founders Adrian Chmielarz, Andrzej Poznanski, and Michal Kosieradzki, left the studio to spin creep-o-magic yarn The Vanishing of Ethan Carter. So hooray for probable internal shakeups!

Epic didn’t have anything else to say on the matter, so I guess we’ll see Fortnite when we see it. As for when that might be, who knows? If nothing else, this kind of radio silence rarely suggests that all is going according to plan, so I imagine it’s undergone some kind of significant change. My guess? Chainsaws. Chainsaws on everything. And they’re all inscribed, “Come back, Cliffy. We’re lost without you.”

, , , , , , .

1. JoeGuy says:

Thought this might have been a good hop in co-op game some time next year, maybe even on my (to be owned soon) PS4. Ah well, I’ll stay my intrigue and replace it with a light bit of hopefulness.

• Artist says:

“Epic Poland” – sorry, but there its where its died if you know something like akella.

• gobuystyle2 says:

Wholesale handbags wallets belts scarves shoes clothes and so on.
      Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) ……….

• facebook34 says:

I quit working at shop rite and now I make $35th – $8th…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. He res what I do======

jobs83.COM

2. Erinduck says:

Aren’t most of the people from People Can Fly now at The Astronauts though?

Bugamn says:

So they went from planes to rockets?

• pin172 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://smal.ly/j8xJ4

Jackablade says:

There’s a bunch at Flying Wild Hog too.

I guess changing the name is fair enough if the entirety of the team have been scattered to the four winds already.

3. Kollega says:

To quote the first page of Concerned, friggin’ finally. A week or so ago, I tried to search for information regarding Fortnite, since the cartoony art style is something I dig rather heavily, but saw that nothing has been said since last year, and figured that it must be either dead or re-developed from the ground up. But this at least confirms that it’s being worked on.

4. MOKKA says:

I wonder, if this game is still going to be a PC exclusive, now that those new consoles are around the corner.

But then, I vaguely remember statements which somehow sounded like justifications for an always-online DRM. So a PC exclusive might be a bad thing when looked at from this angle.

5. Shuck says:

So they’ve given the game to a different studio to finish up? That rarely turns out well. When the second studio seems to have been chosen because it’s in a country where labor costs are a lot lower (even if the devs are talented), that really doesn’t bode well.

6. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

What games have actually been made by Epic in the last decade? I know Gears 1 was, but UT2003/4 were outsourced to Digital Extremes by and large; PCF made a fair chunk of UT2004, and apparently much of the GoW 2 and on were made in China. Is Epic still making games at all?

I’ve also heard that the Chinese internet firm Tencent owns a majority stake in Epic now; looking this up comes up with conflicting numbers, though. I wonder if they’re just an engine-making company at this point?

• neurosisxeno says:

This is mostly incorrect information. UT2k3/2k4 were made entirely by Epic Games–PCF wasn’t even acquired by them until 2012, and wasn’t working with them until 2007 when they handled the GoW PC Port. From what I can tell GoW2 was made almost entirely by Epic as well, with PCF providing “additional development” which I assume means they made the DLC. I do remember reading articles claiming they got some art assets for GoW2 and on from Chinese companies, but outsourcing art is HARDLY a new thing. And from what I can see Tencent spent $330m to get a 48% stake in Epic (the company retaining the other 51.5% so they have majority).

You have to remember most of Epic’s revenue comes from licensing their engine. The games that they do develop are now almost exclusively to showcase the versatility of the Unreal Engine. I’d rather they made a few games here and there to showcase the engine that were amazing (GoW1 was pretty great, UT2K4 is one of my all time favorites) and fund some startups with new and unique ideas than pump out their own games every year that are more of the same.

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

Bear Stare is nowhere near as bad as CLOWN STARE

8. MeestaNob says:

Removing a development studios identity is usually the first step in shutting them down. Why not just change all future intro screens to read ‘People Can Fly: An Epic Games Company’?

At the very least, please let them remove GFWL from Bulletstorm before you shut them down Epic.

Jalan says:

I still get the feeling that the GFWL removal process, should it happen with a title like Bulletstorm vs. Bulletstorm just being “retired”, will happen at the hands of some developer hired via outsourcing means.

felisc says:

It seems the game was far from done and needed more polish.

Oh come on, someone had to do it.

10. Beelzebud says:

So much for them all wanting to work on something new.

11. MaxNormal says:

Maybe they could spend a little time to remove GFWL from Bulletstorm?
    I have just spent a day trying to get the game to work – best I can do is get the game to run but it won’t let me save because GFWL overlay wont show up. I am glad GFWL is going away but I would like to see the games released from prison too.

12. bhlaab says:

Epic basically murdered People Can Fly

• fish99 says:

Bit dramatic no? If Bulletstorm had sold better they’d be working on a sequel. Also it’s not Epics job to give them work.

• neurosisxeno says:

They were only bought by Epic because although it was a great game, Painkiller didn’t get them anywhere. They had to start working on other companies IP (which in this case happened to be Gears of War) and were given a shot at their own game and came up a bit short. Bulletstorm was a really fun game, but I wish I had gotten it for $30 instead of $60…

13. BrainFlush says:

They made me wait this long I will wait till it hits $5. This was a day one buy of a 4 pack, not now. “Epic” fail.

14. Rao Dao Zao says:

I guess the Unreal franchise is dead anyway. I luffed Unreal 2… oh, wait, that was outsourced too. Umm… Nevermind.

15. HisDivineOrder says:

I suspect the game will now either be quietly cancelled or will be converted into a console game for next gen consoles (/softly “and PC”) and that it will involve menus that are oversized with a start screen that says, “Press enter to continue.”

Just watch. The game either won’t be released or it will become a port from consoles.

16. waltC says:

Epic has been lost for a long, long time.

17. aishaswright says:

my friend makes $83/hour on the laptop. She has been fired for nine months but last month her income was $21331 just working on the laptop for a few hours check it quickly>>>>>> http://goo.gl/XjXcH1