Hey: You Can Play The Aaru’s Awakening Demo

By Jim Rossignol on November 2nd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Exquisitely pretty 2D platformer Aaru’s Awakening has released a demo to aid with their progress on the old Greenlight treadmill. What’s the word? This: “Aaru’s Awakening is a hand drawn 2D action platformer. The game requires players to make the most of Aaru’s two mobile abilities – teleportation and charging – as he travels through the world of Lumenox to defeat an evil entity. These two abilities are at the heart of every level design throughout the game, to make a challenging and fluid experience.” But can it challenge the current line up of 2D platforming prowess we have on PC? YOU DECIDE.

Video ‘neath ‘o here.

It certainly is super pretty, but what do you make of the demo? And did you give it an upvote on Greenlight? Do you upvote on Greenlight? How’s your mother these days?

, .

1. Lemming says:

No time to play, but I voted for it on Greenlight instead. The least that anyone can do!

• facebook34 says:

I quit working at shop rite and now I make $35th – $8th…how? I’m working online! My work didn’t exactly make me happy so I decided to take a chance on something new… after 4 years it was so hard to quit my day job but now I couldn’t be happier. He res what I do======

jobs83.COM

2. Viroso says:

This game doesn’t look anything like Oddworld but it still reminds me of it, I guess it’s the creature design. It’s like an Oddworld creature was abducted to Funkotron from Toe Jam & Earl.

• BooleanBob says:

Sure, I get it. The main character-thing does look a bit like a paramite, and the animation is kind of choppy in a similar way to Oddyssey. Though that might have just been my creaking ’90s computer..

3. GameCat says:

It’s pretty but otherwise it’s just meh.
    Games like this (with strange world I want to explore) are killing themselves with immersion breaking linear levels.
    For example, Waking Mars did good job in making impression that you’re really exploring unknown land and not just Rube Goldberg machine of levels, where everything is designed just for pushing you further.
    Meh.

Don Reba says:

It’s just a different genre of game — one that you, unfortunately, dislike.

• GameCat says:

It’s not I dislike that particular genre, because for example, I love Rayman: Origins run’n'jump levels. Or Thomas Was Alone, it also have pretty linear levels, but here they’re justified by setting. Same like Portal testing chambers. You can make them linear because they’re equivalent of lab rat’s labyrinth designed for humans.

The problem with Aaru’s Awakening is ” The game requires players to make the most of Aaru’s two mobile abilities – teleportation and charging – as he travels through the world of Lumenox to defeat an evil entity.”
        It’s not world, it’s just bunch of testing chambers where you can’t sidetrack anywhere. It’s too artifical to invoke feeling that you’re in some sort of “world”.
        Hell, even NES Mario levels was more world-like.

• Viroso says:

I get what you’re saying, when playing Alice Madness Returns I really wanted it to be open world because everything looked so interesting. But I also think you’re letting this be too much of a negative. If the mechanics work, and if the game looks interesting, then what’s the problem. Sometimes we let expectations unfairly affect our opinion.

• GameCat says:

I like Alice: Madness Returns and I also was slightly pissed off about fact that it’s linear experience, but here at least we had some hidden stuff.
            Half Life 1/2 was also linear as hell, but all these optional rooms and places you can visit and semi-open bits like buggy ride in HL2 was creating illusion that you’re in real place.
            I know that making a game isn’t easy, but with little more effort they could have much better game.

About exceptations – you’re right, but when someone tell me that he have world in his game (actually very pretty and I would like to explore it more) and all what I got was a single corridor… Sigh.

optimus_hippo says:

It sounds like part of the role of a game designer should be to ensure the user only/mostly desires to do the things you want them to do. And the environment here is so enticing that people might not want to play the game as designed but rather do their own thing – which leads to frustration when that thing isn’t supported at all.

4. Reapy says:

The game is beautiful, but the gameplay looks like a real snore feast to me. Seems a shame honestly.

Also while we are on kickstarted 2d platformers, why no rps love for Volgarr the Viking? Its a fantastic game that is out of the early kickstarter explosion and delivered perfectly on its promises. More love for the volgar!

Don Reba says:

Tried the demo. The game is amazingly beautiful. I like the gameplay, as well. It’s fairly innovative and is handled well.

If these guys teamed up with Ice-Pick, I feel the union could give birth to something no single mortal could ever fathom.

And how is your old lady, Jim?

6. maximiZe says:

I absolutely adore the art, voted and downloading the demo. The mechanics are looking interesting as well, maybe a bit superficial, but I’ll see for myself.

7. Benjamin L. says:

Played this at PAX and liked it.

8. Oasx says:

Beautiful. game, but based on the video it is not something i ever have a desire to play

Rublore says:

I see that name, and all I can think of is Nixon’s head in Futurama.

Jackablade says:

Kinda looks like someone finally went ahead and made a game that actually looks like the old Psygnosis cover art.

11. gobuystyle2 says:

Wholesale handbags wallets belts scarves shoes clothes and so on.
    Handbags (Coach lv fendi d&g) ………. $35.99usd