Beetlejuice Too: Haunt The House

By Adam Smith on November 4th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Haunt the House: Terrortown, now available on PC and Mac, is a side-scrolling scare ‘em up, originally released for Playstation Mobile devices way back in January. It is, so Eurogamer’s review tells me, a brief experience but it does look charming, even when the tiny people becomes so frightened that they plunge out of a window to their doom. I remember thinking I was the only person in the world who had the stubborn persistence to stick with Ghost Master until the bitter lack of an ending and I’ve hoped for more haunting games ever since. If we’d all played the ghosts in Pacman instead of the yellow eater of worlds, gaming would be far more interesting. There’s an earlier browser version of Haunt the House to toy with – think of it as a demo – and the lovely soundtrack is available to purchase as well.

I’d quite like a multiplayer Knock Knock, with one person playing the part of the horrors.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Kefren says:

I recently replayed Ghost Master at Halloween, good fun apart from a few levels that involve an NPC carrying an object to a particular place. And if I’d realised earlier that once a ghost was behind a psi-block they could be attached to other fetters it would have saved me loads of time.

On my recent playthrough I saw a different ending, so I think you must have seen the ‘shortened’ one, where it ends with the bomb on a train? This time I was given a bonus level that had Mr Staypuft in, where ghostbreakers attacked my home base, that was fun and a different video ending followed it that tied the game up better.

• Adam Smith says:

Yeah, that’s right. I never saw that ending – they added it in a patch when the sequel failed to materialise, I think….

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I was just replaying it, too! I’ve never got very far in it (the level that always defeats me is the hospital). I find the game is too reliant on the shaky AI of the people, who are hard to accurately track and too quick to walk away before a power is used.

I’d love to actually be able to fully enjoy it, though, because it’s a fantastic concept.

• Kefren says:

They use the hospital twice – the second time is much harder, near the end of the game.

• TheTingler says:

Agreed, but you’re probably best off just replaying the house or college dorm levels. They’re the most fun.

• Nevard says:

Neil Gaiman’s game “Wayward Manor” looks like it could end up being sort of similar to a re-imagined Ghost Master, I do hope so

2. DuneTiger says:

Don’t forget the Haunting on the Genesis. One of my favorite games ever.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

• Soldancer says:

I played the stuffing out of that game when I was a kid. It was both a bit silly, and genuinely creepy in parts, whereas Ghost Master is mostly just silly. This game looks more on the sillier side of things, too. I’d love a haunting game with a bit more bite to it.

• C0llic says:

I logged in to say just this. I would love a straight remake of The Haunting with modern graphics, with some improvements though of course.

It’s an oddly untapped idea.

• DuneTiger says:

Of course, the only problem with that is that EA of today would probably think the Underworld bits were the best bits of the game and ignore the actual best bits of the game. But yes, if someone were to at least attempt to resurrect the title, I would be interested.

• C0llic says:

The underworld parts did drag it down. The rest of it was superbly good fun though. Still, yes it’s an EA property, there probably isnt a lot of reason for hope. I wouldnt be surprised if a revival ended up being an ios/android game.

3. Nenjin says:

Ghost Master ruined me :( I’ve been drifting from ghost game to ghost game since, like an unfettered spook, looking for the scare ‘em up that fills the void left behind by GM.

4. guygodbois00 says:

Hmm, can’t quite recall it. Was it I say Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice and Geena Davis (1988 edition) appears?