Castletraileria: Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

By Jim Rossignol on November 4th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

I’ll admit that it feels odd to be posting about Castlevania games coming out on PC, but it’s happening and we just have to be okay with that. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 is soon set to materalise from a cloud of bats on our keyboarded shores, and once again brings with it the tale of Dracula fighting through a large, open environment, filled with demons and stuff. But why? What’s his motivation? Well, old toothypegs has been warned about the return of Satan, for some reason, and has to gather his powers so that he can kick Satan’s ass. As you do when you’re warned about the return of Satan.

Now then, where did I leave my powers? They were around here somewhere…

This trailer is quite dramatic, but doesn’t show any gameplay:

Sexy!

Gameplay:

Hmm.

The game is due in the final week of February 2014. Which is next year! So far away.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

God that looks horrific!

• Makariel says:

There should be a law against using the name Alucard in gothic inspired horror games/movies/books.

• analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Alucard is git posh tin foil ain’t it? Edit: Or foil lined baking parchment. As parchment sounds gothic and all that I’ll go with this! Don’t keep repeating the word parchment in your head it just gets sillier and sillier!

• Neurotic says:

“Alucard” has been the Castlevania dude since CV III in 1989!

• airmikee99 says:

The name ‘Alucard’ is even older than that, Count Alucard is the main character from Son of Dracula, circa 1943.

2. voidburn says:

I didn’t watch anything about the first one, but man Robert Carlyle sounds great! Didn’t know he also did voice overs.

• Ringwraith says:

From a quick search, that is because he doesn’t!
      Pretty much his only thing was this and the original apparently. Though he does do crazy well.
      Although the first game also had Patrick Stewart as the narrator, so they seemed to just be paying out for distinctive voices.
      I cannot argue with this.

3. ZIGS says:

Cutscenevania: Lords of QTE

If the sequel is anything like the first, I’ll pass

4. BooleanBob says:

[From upstairs] Did you check the bowl?

• Yglorba says:

Look behind the giant monster!

Whenever I start a new adventure and I can’t find my powers, somehow they always end up behind a giant monster. I really need to stop buying those things.

5. Azradesh says:

It’s not Dracula, it’s Dracul which means dragon. He even says it in the trailer. His son, Alucard, is Dracula. Dracula means “son of the dragon”.

• Richeh says:

Alucard is already a character in Castlevania lore.

He isn’t Dracula, he’s the son of Dracula and the protagonist in several Castlevania games.

• Haplo says:

Surely his name is Draculaa then.

• dE says:

While you’re correct, it’s entirely irrelevant in the case of Lords of Shadows. The series is a re-boot and has already assassinated several previously established lore facts. Not that I fault them for that, the lore was already quite a mess.

• Azradesh says:

The names Dracul and Dracula are Romanian words that mean Dragon and Son of the Dragon respectively. In Lords of Shadow 2 you play as Gabriel who now calls himself the dragon/Dracul. His son now calls himself Alucard, which is Dracula backwards.

Whatever might’ve happened in other Castvania titles is irrelevant; this is a reboot.

• NailBombed says:

To be frank, I find this reboot fairly irrelevant. CV was great as a 2D series before they started dicking about with it in 3D, with titles like CV64 and Judgement. Lament Of Innocence was pretty good for a CV3D game, but Curse Of Darkness was mediocre… and this reboot just looks and feels of God Of Castlevania. No matter what people say about recycled sprites and the like in the GBA/DS handheld titles, I’ll take them over this any day.

• Azradesh says:

Each to their own. I actually loved Lords of Shadow and find 2D metroidvania games to be a complete bore.

• Giuseppe says:

pedantic

To be accurate, Dracul means ‘the Dragon’ in medieval Romanian. In modern Romanian it means ‘the Devil’. That’s a bit ironic considering the title of “Dracul / the Dragon” was given to Vlad Tepes’ father for being part of the Order of the Dragon, which acted as defender of Christianity.

Also, the correct patronymic name of Vlad Tepes was not “Dracula”, but Drăculea. But that wouldn’t have been as cool sounding or as easy to pronounce by foreigners as Dracula. :D

/pedantic

6. Jumwa says:

Man, what a long, tedious slog of endless, dull combat that seems.

I’ve lost all taste for that kind of game.

7. Richeh says:

Well, looks like I’m in for a couple of entertaining hours of cutscenes on Youtube.

It’s really frustrating. I love the overly dramatic story line but it’s ruined as a movie by obnoxious demands for interaction, and it’s ruined as a game because the director interferes every three steps and breaks up the flow of game play. And QTEs are the worst of both worlds.

8. Anthile says:

It seems very ironic that while so many indie games try to invoke Castlevania, Konami seem to be hell-bent on making a Castlevania that desperately tries to catch up with contemporary gaming trends.

9. Viroso says:

OMG an enemy there said Die monster you don’t belong in this world.

10. NailBombed says:

I just can’t get over the way they’ve mangled the characters. Especially the whole ‘BELMONT IS DRACULA LOLOL’ tweeeest ending and storyline. This is not Castlevania. I’ll stick with the originals and best, thanks. Let’s have WayForward bring this series back to it’s roots of 2D, Belmont VS Dracula, whip cracking, exploring the changing castle of chaos. Robert Carlyle dramatics aside, this reboot leaves me cold.

• welverin says:

What’s really funny about that twist ending is it doesn’t occur in the game at all, it takes place in a video after the credits that’s completely disconnected from the rest of the game.

I had found out about it before I finished the game and spent the whole second half of it wonder when that would get revealed and it never did. In the actual game that is, or even the ending to the game.

11. oyog says:

Bela Lugosi certainly is in great shape, isn’t he?

12. dirtrobot says:

Haha so much hate! I am super excited for the sequel to the game that took the god of war standard and actually improved on the brawling gameplay significantly. Soundtrack sounds amazing, yet again, great voice acting and the over melodramatic/gothic storyline have me stoked.

The QTEs were always appropriate, the platforming was more fun than uncharted and the gameplay variety was astounding.

First title was so underrated by people who wanted 8 bit Belmont having to push diagonally up to get onto stairs in yet another castle.

• Totally heterosexual says:

No, they wanted a game that did not fuck an established and beloved franchise in the ass by being a terrible god of war wannabe.

You can like the game all you want but trying to blame it’s failure on the fans of the series, rather then on the fact that it was a piece of shit, just makes you seem like an asshole.

Yes, I mad.

• Ojetor says:

Lords of Shadow was not a failure, so I do not think anyone is blaming the fans. In fact, Lords of Shadow is the best selling Castlevania game in history.

You know what was a failure? The 2D Castlevanias. I love them to death, but the fact stands that they were simply not selling enough to be profitable.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Fuck life.

• dE says:

Yes, the 2D Castlevanias were such failures that they kept churning out sequel after sequel. That sounds about right, yes, yes. They stopped being profitable because they limited themselves to one platform and didn’t bother advertising.
          Also no big surprise Lords of Shadows sold as much as it id, if you’re running so much advertisement for it, that Battlefield complains about lack of ad space, it’s gonna sell. And even with the crazy ads they ran, the game never really went high on the sales rank. Enough to be profitable and warrant a sequel but certainly not a smash super hit.

• Ojetor says:

When I said 2D Castlevanias were a failure, I meant the last entries in the series were flops, as obviously the first games in the 80s and 90s did well enough to engender lots of sequels. However in the 00s the series really suffered from a popularity decline, like all 2D platformers. Even with all the cost cutting going on, and the supposedly huge fanbase, the games were not being profitable. It also didn´t help that DS piracy was extremely widespread.

Like I said, I love the Metroidvanias to death. I´m quite sad they are gone. But getting mad at Lords of Shadow like it is somehow at fault for that is not a rational reaction.

• fooga44 says:

I was never a fan of the metroidvania’s (SOTN). The classic side scrollers were good, everything after that proved the people behind Castlevania didn’t understand what made it great.

Lords of shadow is rough around the edges but it is going in the right direction. God of war is a correct 3D interpretation of classic side scrolling beat-em-up gameplay from the original Castlevania’s from 1 through 4.

The original series was a side scrolling beat-em-up. So it makes sense to have LOTS go the way of God of war. Note that god of war’s main character has ‘chained blades’ (basically double whip) so it makes total sense to take CV in a god of war direction because that’s how you do 3D combat. LOTS had issues and could have been a lot better but it’s far from a bad start.

• dirtrobot says:

Haha I honestly wasn’t saying it was a failure because of the fans – I was saying the hate was from those fans. Which it is ;)

Comment on this story