Onwards And Upwards: Velocity Ultra Coming To Steam

By Craig Pearson on November 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

Velocity Ultra was previously only announced for tellyboxes and handthings, and it looks very much like a game for those blackened beasts of Sony: a vertical shooter where you’re in charge of a tiny craft, dodging shaped attack waves and avoiding their squirted splats of energy. Bottom to top you go, ever upwards, while using your ship’s teleportation capabilities to dodge the assaults and complete the puzzles that make Velocity Ultra just that little bit different to the usual range of bullet dodgers. It’s coming to Steam in a short while.

Looking a little bit more closely at this, it appears to be a very good thing. Lots and lots of nines out of tens for it, and in the land of game scores that’s a very good score indeed. I can’t remember the last game of this sort that made a fuss on the PC, so those of you with ticklish digits should be in for a treat. Here is a trailer celebrating the success of the console release. I nearly posted one with actual game footage, but it was so ablaze with console information that my fingers refused to carry-on.

It should be out on Steam before the New Year. I hope they release it at 11:59 on Dec 31st.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

One look at that picture and my brain started singing “Pole Posi-shaa-aan”. Ah to be 8 again

• recurv says:

:) That was an influence, as was Jayce And The Wheeled Warriors :)

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Really? I just had the biggest ever squee. And looking at the videos, it reminds me of Xenon II Megablast as well – ohhhhhh Amiga 500 <3 <3 The 80's were AWESOME

• recurv says:

Haha, Thunderbirds 2086 was the primary influence. Loved that show. More info here: http://www.velocitygame.co.uk

• TechnicalBen says:

Thunderbirds 2086? How did I not know of this thing!?!
            (Goes off to make his own models… Geekagsm!)

PS, hope the game does well!
            PPS, don’t read the reviews here, they don’t even give scores!

• Kaeoschassis says:

There were times in my life I thought I might have imagined Thunderbirds 2086, so few people had heard of it. This game had already caught my attention, it’s now approaching must-buy territory.

• Chaz says:

You see I looked at that and thought “BATTLE OF THE PLANETS!”

Well it bears a passing resemblance.

2. Rauten says:

I have this on Vita and I actually Platinum’d this bad mother! Can’t wait for the sequel!

The game is absolutely fantastic, a fast paced arcade little gem that will test both your finesse, twitch reactions and planning in short but sweet (or rage inducing!) stages with a proper difficulty curve and slowly adding more gameplay mechanics.

You’re gonna need a controller for this one, though. I can’t imagine the game being very KB+M friendly.

People of RPS, do NOT allow this game to escape your sights.

3. katie211 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX

4. DanMan says:

Did anyone else read “in a snort while”? Am I getting old?

5. deadbob says:

They had this on show at the last Rezzed, played it there and really enjoyed it. Nice to finally see it coming to PC.

6. Tinotoin says:

Isn’t the teleportation controlled using touch on the Vita? How will that translate to PC?

• recurv says:

Hello! Velocity was originally designed for the PSP, so uses a reticle that is moved around the screen. Manually moving the reticle is still the best way to play in my opinion.

The most straightforward translation is to control the reticle with the mouse and simply left click to teleport. Works for me :)

Comment on this story