Pugilistic Planets: Battle Worlds – Kronos Out Now

By Adam Smith on November 5th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Battle Worlds: Kronos isn’t about planets wot punch one another, which is a mighty shame, but, as it’s a turn-based strategy game that seems to have been plucked from my teenage years, I can forgive it. Some people can’t resist sad ol’ puppy dog eyes, but me? My heart melts whenever I see a hex. Kronos is out today and there’s a launch trailer to celebrate the fact. King Art reckon the two solo campaigns will last around thirty hours and there’s cross-platform multiplayer for dessert. I’m hoping to play later today, although there’s a hungry pack of games barking for my attention and snapping at my heels. Only one of them has hexes though. D’awwww. Just look a them (in the launch trailer below)!

If Battle Worlds aren’t enough for you, there are Battle Trains coming in free DLC early next year. Of all the vehicles that can be in a war, trains are inexplicably my favourite.

Here’s a video of thanksgiving and rallying cry for crowdfunders everywhere.

Some people certainly are wondering whether to support crowdfunding projects. Let’s hope this one convinces some backers that they made the right decision. Anyone played yet?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Baboonanza says:

I always got the impression that the project was pretty far along by the time it went to KickStarter, so it probably would have happened anyway. I’m sure the money and particularly the extra exposure has helped them though.

I backed it and have my Steam code but won’t get to play it before the weekend.

• Porkolt says:

But if it hasn’t, wouldn’t that mean they’ve simply used Kickstarter as a pre-purchase platform? I wonder wether and how often that sort of thing happens.

2. Serenegoose says:

don’t fight for slavery! Fight for freedom! And other bits of the final speech from the great dictator!

Still, if you’re going to draw inspiration from any great speech, good call.

3. FFabian says:

Is it any good? I still remember playing the shit out of Battle Isle as a annoying teenager (now I’m feeling old ;-( )

• Tom Walker says:

Yeah, is anyone in a position to answer this? I mean I generally really like this sort of thing (Advance Wars in particular ate more hours of my life than I care to admit) so I just need some confirmation of whether it’s basically sensibly balanced and in no way horribly broken…

• Adam Smith says:

Hang back a few days and we’ll have a WIT. And opinions should start sprouting elsewhere as well.

• Moraven says:

There needs to be a bit more clear tutorial mission along with a simpler one. It starts off well with text boxes given you the information and steps to take to learn movement and attack. But after killing 3 foes everything goes to small popup hexes on the left side that I did barely even noticed. The first mission also is not clear that you should be going around some bridge fortifications via transport. It does not help if you do not know that you had to capture the harbor building with ‘infantry’ unit.

Add in armor types, flanking, hp = attack strength, there is a lot to know but they move it to pop ups only that I missed at first. They need a proper tutorial mission in the campaign.

I played some skirmishes in beta and has potential. Massive Assault Network 2 has been my favorite asynchronous turn based game on PC. Hard to say yet if this is on par with it or better. Wargaming.net, gives us MAN 3!

Makariel says:

I only played the first two missions, so far I like it.
      * game itself is pretty neat, AI was surprising me with how relentless it is (perhaps a bit too aggressive for it’s own good). I had to restart a mission already since the AI was beating my forces to a pulp… don’t see that all that often these days. The second time I could use the AI’s aggressive behaviour to my advantage and lure them into traps.
      * so far every unit feels like it has it’s place and purpose
      * forgettable story, dialogues are worth reading though since they give some hints about the upcoming mission
      * cross-platform multiplayer, i.e. the tablet-version offers the full multiplayer experience (minus the comfy chair, if you happen to sit on the bus or wait at the airport)

• James Allen says:

Here is a video review I did of it.

4. Anguy says:

This has actually been developed in my hometown, Bremen. I definetely have to support these guys and buy it soon :)

c-Row says:

Haven’t received my Steam key yet, but the physical tin box arrived yesterday. Sooo, how long until somebody recreates the BI2 campain and multiplayer maps in BW:K? :)

• Loyal_Viggo says:

If the game is that moddable it would be terribly rude not to recreate all the maps from the Battle Isle series.

I still play BI3 – Shadow of the Emperor now…

6. ChrisCorr says:

A game about planets punching each other sounds magnificent.

7. InternetBatman says:

Now I want to play planets wot punch each other instead of this game.

8. Zankmam says:

The game looks nice from a visual standpoint, and although I am not into turn-based games much, the game is attracting me for some reason.

I hope I manage to get more info on the quality of the game soon.

9. SuicideKing says:

Civilization meets Rise of Nations type thing?

• Phantom_Renegade says:

That single sentence has just pushed me over the edge. As if my wallet wasn’t bleeding enough, and steam sales right around the corner too.

• Strabo says:

Battle Isle. It’s Battle Isle remade. Battle Isle 2 to be exact, the best one.

10. Stevostin says:

what an utterly wrong trailer. It’s not the 80’s anymore. You’re not trying to sell this to kids.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Heresy! The 80’s will never die!

You should immediately listen to Flashback FM to reaffirm your faith and love in all things 80’s, before you are sent for RE-EDUCATION.

11. Hobbes says:

Played last night, tutorial is hilariously wonky, and the cutscene videos aren’t much better. Text story dialog also falls into the trap of using overly floral english (seriously, stop and read, it’s almost parody).

Get past all that though and there’s a remarkably solid strategy game underneath, the first couple of maps definitely scratched that Battle Isle itch which has been missing for quite some time. There’s definitely the core of a good game here, though I think the campaign setup might not have been the best route to sell the whole thing, bit unsure right now on that.

• Moraven says:

Yah, the campaign needs a better start. I would like to see a proper tutorial spread over 2 missions.

Chuckaluphagus says:

The slightly odd language is likely an artifact of the translation into English. The structure of German means it’s really easy to end up with language that sounds Shakespearean if you don’t go back and make some revisions to your first translation draft.

12. katie211 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX