Wayne Good Deals: Latest Humble Bundle Is Positively Batty

By Nathan Grayson on November 5th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

Next in the Humble Bundle, that is!

Bruce Wayne, billion dollar playboy who was recently declared Least Likely Man On Earth To Be Batman (Of The Year) by Time magazine, is at it again. He’s teamed with a gaming storefront known as the Humble Bundle to sell games largely focused on Batman for no specific reason. The proceeds of a pay-what-you-want bundle that includes that likes of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City will go toward a sprawling tunnel-based weapons facility beneath Gotham charities and game developers.

The Humble WB Bundle (aka, the WBundle) is made up of Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year edition, FEAR 2, FEAR 3, Lord of the Rings: The War in the North, and if you beat the average, Batman: Arkham City Game of the Year edition and Scribblenauts Unlimited. The charity this time around is, fittingly, We Can Be Heroes.

You’ll be able to tune in to this bat-deal at the same bat-time on the same bat-channel every day until November 19th. Then it will come to an end, and you’ll maybe possibly someday play the games you mindlessly purchased to sate your wailing deal lust. But probably not.

It’s a shame some more recent games aren’t included, but I suppose the likes of, say, Batman: Arkham Origins and Scribblenauts Unmasked did only spring into action this month and last, respectively. As with all things in this world, they too will be Practically Given Away at excellent prices, but not yet. As is, I have to admit that I already own all the games in this bundle. How about you?

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

amateurviking says:

I have never played the F.E.A.R.s and always felt I ought to so…

Yoink!

Also: Scribblynoughts hooray!

Also also: Any idea if the LoTR game is any guid?

• Alexrd says:

Only the first F.E.A.R. is worth playing (which ironically is not present in the bundle).

amateurviking says:

Aww

• Jokerme says:

Best FEAR is the second one if you are anything like me. It has better atmosphere, superior visuals, and story is good.

• mikmanner says:

Fear 2 is a good game, it’s fun, it’s funny, it shoots good and it is knowingly dumb.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

FEAR 2 was probably my favourite of the series, and I adore the first one. The shooting feels slightly less responsive, but the atmosphere is amazing – really succeeded in making me feel wrapped up in events that may be leading up to the apocalypse. The dread and weirdness is palpable, and the environment design is brilliant (especially in the expansion).

FEAR 3 does not exist, but if it did I imagine it would be a jumbled mess of sci-fi horror tropes shoehorned into a barely-serviceable arcade shooter made by a different developer who only seemed to have read half a marketing blurb about the two games that came before it. I imagine.

• Low Life says:

I also found the second one very enjoyable. I’m yet to try the third one but from what I’ve heard I also don’t have any interest in it, though the coop could be worth a try.

LTK says:

Although I hear FthreeAR is rather excellent in co-op and multiplayer.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Fear 3 might not be a good horror game, but it is an excellent shooter. It has intense and non-stop action, large numbers of enemies, cool guns, decent coop, a well balanced challenge, fun power armor sequences, no anoying AI teammates and it’s adequately moderated on the use of cinematics and scripted events.

For me, it is pretty much as good as any game of the (somewhat overrated) Half Life series.

• Drake Sigar says:

Remember those D&D Dark Alliance games bout ten years back? War in the North is like that. Slashy and looty co-op. I like that side of it but it’s somewhat hampered by the instance on loosely tieing you into the main story. You’re basically the fellowship B-team and mop up after the cool guys. So lame.

Weird, I finished an Arkham Asylum playthrough literally five minutes ago. Great game.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

But War in the North is a pretty terrible entry in that category. It might–might–be tolerable with other people, but even then the enemies have way too much HP and inflict way too much damage for the game to be much more than a merciless grind.

• Sic says:

Supposedly, the lore is spot on, though.

The Escapist liked it.

• fish99 says:

It’s well worth your time going back and playing the original FEAR plus both of the expansions (Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate). The sequels are mediocre though.

• Metalhead9806 says:

I really like the FEAR series. Its true that the series has gotten worse with each installment but i still enjoyed playing through each title.

2. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I played War in the North on my PS3, and I’ve got to say it would have been a decent game if they had cut the health of monsters by 25-50% and if they had let you manage the NPC companions (it reset them to some sort of pre-defined, under-equipped version if you weren’t playing as them!).

It certainly had some cool ideas–loved the snow troll and the gravedigger troll designs–and its version of Radagast was roughly a thousand times better than the one from The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, but man, what a tedious game. Can’t recommend that one unless there’s a good mod available or a good patch I’m unaware of.

Don’t know about FEAR 2/3, but everything else up there is really good.

• Jason Moyer says:

I never had a problem with the NPC’s being under-equipped. You know you can upgrade their gear, right?

The problem I had with War In The North, on PC, is that it’s literally impossible to progress past a certain point if you’re using an ATI card, and they never made any attempt to fix the problem.

• Sic says:

Yeah, Radagast was a bit rubbish in film, wasn’t he.

I wonder why the designs are so poor this time around. I don’t know if you’ve seen, but Beorn looks utterly and completely ridiculous. Like some sort of ferret.

3. FurryLippedSquid says:

I’m Batman.

4. Moraven says:

Good deal to get Scribblenauts and FEAR. Already have Batman from past Steam sales at 80% off.

War in the North I bought at release, in which it nosedived in price very quick. A solid Snowblind game expect I was not to fond of the party of three always with AI bots. Good couch co-op game. I still liked the eye in the sky third person view typical of PC ARPGs vs the third person street level that this game went to. A lot more camera problems.

I need to finish Champions of Norrath at some point.

5. dE says:

Also keep in mind: The whole “Multiple Key” thing has been changed again. You can once again gift excess keys, as described here.

This now legalizes what basically almost everyone was doing already. Give excess keys to friends.

6. airtekh says:

What do people think of FEAR 2 & 3?

I’ve got both the Batman games and I’m not interested in the others, so if I get this it will be for FEAR.

• dE says:

Fear 2 is a competent shooter that is far more weird than horror, although it does have it’s fair share of jumpscares. Fear 3 is a… thing. Made to be played Co-Op and never bothered to check for Singleplayer. Only play with a friend.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

FEAR 2 is one my favourite shooters. Depends what you’re looking for, really. If FEAR was Hard Boiled meets The Ring, FEAR 2 was Terminator 2 meets… something somewhat less scary than The Ring. Or FEAR is Alien, and FEAR 2 is Aliens.

FEAR 3 was never made. Please stop suggesting otherwise, you’ll worry the children.

7. JD Ogre says:

A shame about the new requirement to give Humble access to your Steam account meaning I have to pass up on Scribblenauts. :( [I’m a strange sort and do not link accounts with outside sources for any reason]

• Yglorba says:

Why? There’s no risk. All you’re giving them permission to do is give you games.

Llewyn says:

In principle I don’t particularly care about this, but there are a few specifics I object to in this case:
        – It’s not clear before purchase that this is a requirement. Given that it’s a change from previous sales it ought to be.
        – Steam talks of HB being able to “access limited information about your Steam account that you specifically allow” but doesn’t say what kind of information, or make any reference to this kind of link in its privacy policy.
        – There are no options in Steam’s privacy settings to control this kind of link, at least before the link is created (I haven’t registered the games yet, so not sure if something new appears to control it after that).

It’s just all a bit shabby.

• vlonk says:

Hmm do not cross the streams, huh?
      You could buy it with one account (which has a bank account/paypal linked), then “gift” it to another email-account which is then used to register it on steam. They know now which email is linked to your steam account, but you could change those frequently.

Privacy and Steam do not mix well, anyway…

You could also maybe contact the humblebundle support for direct access to your keys? Their support ninja masters are quite skilled and you are definetely not alone on this issue.

LTK says:

You can unlink your account as soon as you’re done, so it’s nothing permanent.

• Greggh says:

They implemented this system to kill the shady biznuss that was going on with leftover keys and whatnot, but also hurt their customers badly. This particular move to _officially_ allow gifting has won me back as a customer (even if they fucked up in the first place by almost doing a PR suicide move).

• jamesgecko says:

> They have access to your unique uid from Steam and can cross-reference to their own database, so, yeah, that’s not permanent AT ALL, unfortunately.

That’s not how Oauth works. When you link the account, Humble receives a unique token which identifies you to Steam. When the account is unlinked, Steam voids the token, and a new, different unique token must be requested. User interaction is built into the protocol; you have to go through the Steam website to create a new link. Humble can’t reestablish the link just because they know what Steam account you used.

Many Oauth providers have an account management page which allow you to see linked sites and applications and unlink them, so you can be sure that the 3rd party site wasn’t lying about unlinking. Steam doesn’t have that yet, unfortunately.

…Unless I’ve completely misunderstood, and you were complaining that Humble knows what Steam account the key was redeemed on. But… didn’t they know that before?

• Apocalypse says:

You ARE aware the steam is an openID provider?

• jamesgecko says:

Doh. I saw someone else saying it was Oauth. And I was like, “This is UNIX Oauth! I know this!”

• DanMan says:

It doesn’t work the way you probably think. You login on the Steam website, not on the HB page. The sites do some talking behind the scene, and the only thing you do is grant HB to register the games with Steam. At least, that’s what i heard (it being pased on OAuth).

• fish99 says:

I can see why they had to do it though, there were so many spare keys floating around, devaluing everything that was in a HIB from that point forward. These comments would probably be full of Batman keys otherwise.

8. Yglorba says:

Pity it doesn’t have Scribblenauts Unmasked, yeah, which would have fit the theme perfectly… but it’s obviously too new. Oh well.

Aerothorn says:

Why on earth would you write “B-Man” as grafitti? You’re saving two letters, and if you’re going to not use the proper spelling why go out of your way for a hyphen? Why not just right “Bman?”

10. Commander Gun says:

Is there any difference between the Batmans? As in, is one game better than the other or is it more of the same? Me = curious :)

basilisk says:

While the core gameplay is essentially the same, Asylum is tight and focused where City is sprawling and big. Both have their pros and cons, so it very much depends on your preference which will feel better. At any rate, they are both fantastic games, and absolutely worth the BTA price.

(And while they are playable with a mouse and keyboard pretty well, they feel much better with a controller.)

• RiffRaff says:

city is like zelda 1 with an overworld and dungeons, asylum is more like metroid, it gradually opens up and its much more focused. I didn’t really like city and felt they really handled a lot of villains poorly, and that it was generally a bit of a cluttered mess because of the open world.

• Arglebargle says:

I’ve only tried Arkham City, which has strong visuals but otherwise leaves me cold. But then, Sturgeon’s Law seems to rule in my gaming lexicon these days: 90% of them seem to be crap. So your mileage may be better. Just more pretty console crap as far as I’m concerned. At some point I may push through to see if it gets better, but I hold no high hopes.

• Lemming says:

Batman Arkham asylum = first and best. It’s the first Die Hard movie.

Batman Arkham City = the next best, it’s more of the same but more open. It’s the third Die Hard movie.

Batman Arkham Origins = the least worthy of the title, but still a decent game. It’s better than the 4th Die Hard movie.

11. InternetBatman says:

Sadly I have the three games I want from this. I’m surprised that they wouldn’t include Bastion in a Warner bundle though. I believe they published it.

• Lemming says:

Probably because Bastion has been bundled almost constantly for months. I can’t remember seeing a bundle without it in.

12. Ross Angus says:

Might be worth looking at the Bundle Stars bundle too:

* Shelter
    * Mount & Blade
    * Crusader Kings Complete

… and a bunch of other stuff for £2.97.

• RiffRaff says:

the next groupees also looks good, and GOG have a charity thing going on too.

now that some of the other bundles are stepping up their game wouldn’t it be a good idea to do a bundle round up instead of focusing entirely on the humble bundles?

13. katie211 says:

Google is paying 80$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $9458 this month. Its the most-financialy rewarding I’ve had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/w7ceUX

14. Keyrock says:

FEAR 2 & 3 are garbage, I have no idea about War in the North, but this is definitely worth it for the 2 Batman games and Scribblenauts.

• DanMan says:

Which I’ve already got, so I’m going to wait and see what the half-time add-on brings.

Jalan says:

If it brings anything. In the interim of waiting, I’m sure people will scour SteamDB and assume they’re going to get something similar in fashion to what was never truly added to the EA bundle and instead wind up with a game that WB has let sit on the shelf while keeping a stranglehold on the license for years and some mid-tier AAA titles from 4-8 years ago.

Then the great horn of complaints will ring out and all the cool “why you complainin’, you get games and help charity” white knights and apologists will rise up to put the boots on people for, y’know, being people and expressing things in a people-like fashion.

JiminyJickers says:

Dang, I already have everything except for Fear. Just bought Scribblenauts a couple of weeks ago for 15 quid, should have waited, haha.

melnificent says:

Seems odd that I’m buying games on the PC that I picked up on PS+.

17. quezens says:

Has anyone stayed an extra copy of Batman Arkham City? I would be very grateful to whoever it is unnecessary.
    izotop08 (a) gmail com

18. substationradio says:

I got City on the PS3 (oh well), but I always wanted to try the Harley’s Revenge DLC and this is the cheapest way to do that. I’m really in it for Scribblenauts. Plus – Charity!!!

gmcseph says:

Hey all,

Bought the bundle and thought I’d share – got some spares. Please be thoughtful and share them around!

FEAR 2 – https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=CVnWpHH3uA6DWhk6
    FEAR 3 – https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=N553tSd4q8Sde6ur

Cheers! G

• Sheng-ji says:

Just be aware, the Wadjet Eye fiasco taught me that there are search bots constantly scanning for these keys to resell in places like this. It is possible your keys may be redeemed by someone who plans on reselling them.

Jalan says:

More likely people just wanting free stuff. I learned the hard way after giving out gifts of Valve games that such acts are thankless endeavors taken advantage of by people too cheap to even offer a solitary word for such generosity.

No doubt each key posted in the comments section here has seen the same fate, since reality dictates that they haven’t simply sat there unused the entire time since someone posted them.

20. dogsolitude_uk says:

Woo! Paid six quid and got Scribblenauts! and a bunch of other stuff too :)

• fish99 says:

You probably already know this, but you can enter custom amounts, and therefore get this bundle for $4.64 or about £3.