Frozen Endzone Beta Will Touchdown In November

By Craig Pearson on November 6th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

Frozen Endzone, Mode 7′s futuro-sports game that I would like to take on the cheeky little nickname of Frozone, is not out yet. For the people who want to play it this a problem on many levels. I sympathise, and at least have some news that’ll excite and thrill you. Frozone’s beta is about to go public, and you’ll be able to buy into it sometime in November. When in November? No idea. This November? I am 99% certain the November they mention in the press release is this November. Anyone buying a copy will receive an extra copy of the full game when it’s released, a generous trick they pulled with Frozen Synapse.

The beta will feature randomly generated single challenges and several multiplayer modes. Alec’s excited about this combination of real-time turn-based strategy, American Football, and Unreal Tournament 2004′s art-style. I am also a little bit interested, but my stats for Frozen Synapse are so embarrassing that I will probably play with bots. At least they can’t send me mocking emails and upload victories to Youtube. But if I win, boy are those bots going to hear about it.

As the devs are deep in beta crunch mode, there’s been little new footage to coo over, but I’ve dug up some old footage showing off an arena.

It looks ridiculous in the best possible way.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Jockie says:

I think this may end up too ‘pure’ strategy for me, lacking in all the stats and progression you get from something like Blood Bowl.

I do like your subtle attempt to try and rid the game of the ‘Frendzone’ tag that has been causing Mode 7 so much distress.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I love sports games, and stats and progression are one of the main reasons. This has been my second most anticipated game because I expect stats and progression. Really a bummer if there isn’t anything like training up rookies to veterans and all that. I mean, sure they’re robots, but also- it’s a video game.

• Claidheamh says:

You shouldn’t be expecting a sports game, though. This is a sort of sequel to Frozen Synapse, so expect a turn-based tactics game at its core, but with a sports theme instead of shooting.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

That sounds fun, more fun than action-based sports game, really. But without player progression it is going to feel meaningless to me. Might still be fun, but I can’t see playing with any sort of long term investment.

• Phendron says:

Harken back to days of olde, when the spirit of the game was in the challenge of outwitting your opponent.

Stats are well and dandy, but just a means to an end.

2. Low Life says:

“…I will probably play with bots. At least they can’t send me mocking emails and upload victories to Youtube.”

I would at least expect the former from bots in this day and age.

• The Random One says:

“LOL look at this stupid meaty human I trounced while on a break from my Altavista job that pays me £52 an hour!”

• DeVadder says:

I want this to happen! Probably should not mention the players name, but how awesome would youtube videos of bots showing humans their place be.

3. Anti-Skub says:

The portmanteau of Frozon Endzone clearly isn’t Frozone…it’s Friendzone.

4. warthog2k says:

Clearly should be FroZone – http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_small/0/40/374625-162490-frozone.jpg
    I loved the Incredibles :)

5. Baboonanza says:

Looking forward to this. Frozen Synapse gave me a lot of pleasure and given Rock, Paper, Synapse is still running in the social club I’m sure there will be plenty of RPSers to play with.

6. strangeloup says:

I’m hoping this won’t be like Frozen Synapse in one important respect, namely that I will be completely intrigued by the concept and absolutely, profoundly inept at the execution.

7. jaydee says:

I’m pumped, one of my favorite TBS titles. Hope this shows up sooner rather than later.

8. Spider Jerusalem says:

i miss the good old days of making games (and movies) about lovably ridiculous future sports.

there was one, for macs i believe, way back in the day. it involved a bowl-like arena, some futuristic snowboard things, and a metal ball going in a goal. the simple genius of it all.

• Archangel says:

Tournament Cyberball 2072. That is all.

Also: Very much looking forward to this. Frozen Synapse was just perfect.*

* except for that horrible last level

9. HaikuWin says:

That orange guy looks like he beheaded the Smash robots and attached them to his shoulders…

10. MrUnimport says:

I hate to say this, but if I’m going to get involved in a simultaneous-turn two-player turn-based-real-time tactics-off, I rather expect someone to get shot at some point.

Comment on this story