Satellite Of Love: Syndicate Remake On Show

By Alec Meer on November 6th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Aha, good to see the spiritual Syndicate sequel (the real one, not that dreary cash-grab from Starbreeze a couple of years back) breaking cover again after its successful Kickstarter. The good stuff – an early glimpse of Satellite Reign’s unfinished world, with its newly animated civilians scampering about – doesn’t kick in until 6m40s mark, but let’s not be churlish – it’s always fascinating to see how videogames get made. Especially when it involves quite as much brutal puppy sacrifice and breaking into DARPA bases as the 5 Lives team gets up to. Frankly I’m amazed they’re prepared to show all that in public. And so much nudity too! Whatever makes a more comfortable working environment, I guess.

In fact this first significant video diary covers how they’re achieving decent mo-cap animation on a budget for the game. Rather than hiring an expensive studio and buying lots of ping-pong balls, they’re using PlayStation Eye cameras and special software to achieve a similar result. It’s impressive stuff and, frankly, even if it’s not up to Serkis standards it’s more than appropriate for little roaming/easily-murdered pedestrians.

Again, there’s a glimpse at very early footage of the game right at the end, so stick around for that.

More on the game proper is promised for the next diary, but if you’re interested in the technical side of things there’s further discussion of their webcam skullduggery here.

I really hope they finish this before they release it, rather than do the Early Access thing. I want to play a proper, working, satisfying Syndicate game after all these years, not make do with piecemeal stuff because I can’t wait a few months longer.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Didden says:

Very clear explanation and smart software. Wish more dev’s took the time to explain their games like this.

2. karthink says:

I got all excited about new Satellite Reign footage/info… only to find it’s the same update from a couple of weeks ago.

This is actually the only game I pledged to fully believing their total money raised wasn’t going to be anywhere near enough what they need for the game they described on KS.

3. VCepesh says:

I remember being quite impressed by the stuff shown in that diary. That’s a remarkably good effect for what seems like relatively low monetary and resource investment – comparing both to full-fledged mo-cap and entirely hand-made animations. I also like the brief look into the software used for animation – part of Unity toolkit, I think?

All of this from the point of view of a man mostly unrelated to the dev-industry and computer animation, of course.

4. GamesInquirer says:

I didn’t really like Syndicate, I hope this is more to my tastes.

• elevown says:

I hope you are refering to the crappy new one not the origionals – otherwise there’s no hope for you :(

5. Terragot says:

That dude is fucking stacked for an animator.

Just sayin.

6. Sinomatic says:

I’d love for devs in general to do more of this for those of us who don’t have any concept of the actual mechanics of game-making. I find it fascinating.

7. DickSocrates says:

That motion capture is very impressive. Practically anyone (that needed to) could afford to do this. He say’s Ipi Motion Capture Studio, in case you didn’t catch it. Get yours today!…

I don’t actually work for them and hadn’t heard of this at all until watching the video, despite sounding like a corporate shill.

8. nimbulan says:

I’m still annoyed my pledge didn’t go through for this one. Kickstarter told me there was a processing delay and it should go through within 2 hours. I go to sleep and the next morning the thing’s over and there’s no sign of my pledge.

Game looks awesome though, I’ll definitely be watching it closely.

9. ireisme says:

Lou Reed is dead :(

10. The Random One says:

How curious that the man that animates the models looks like a model himself.

11. Graves says:

In a not too distant future, next Sunday A.D….

12. Scumbag says:

These guys could have kept a lid on how they did that and filed a patent on it. Nope, they share it and other low budget studios can do the same.

• Marmalade Man says:

To file a patent you have to invent the process. This is off the shelf software.
      iPi Motion Capture. 3DS Max. Unity Mechanim.

Did they give you the impression they had invented the process themselves?