Gorgeous RPG Elliot Quest Asking For Kickstarter Coins

By John Walker on November 7th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Back in June we told you about the absolutely lovely, Zelda-inspired Elliot Quest. It was an alpha demo back then, with lots of potential. Potential they’re looking to realise by a little cash injection from Kickstarter. Just four thousand Canadian dollars (like US dollars, only covered in maple syrup). Why so little? Because it’s all they need, it seems. Stretch goals reach to $20,000, but for one blessed game these aren’t needed to actually release the game they were planning on in the first place.

You can play the demo of the game right now, in this very web browser. But, you know, in another tab. Don’t leave us!

Come on RPS readers, we can get this lovely-looking thing funded in a couple of hours.

, , , .

1. Premium User Badge Don Reba says:

Lovely — maybe, but “gorgeous” is definitely not the right word here. Sort of like a freckled tomboy teen.

• Keyrock says:

Agreed. I love me some Zelda 2 and I love me some pixel art, but this is FAR from gorgeous.

• almostDead says:

Was just about to make the same comment. Title took the wrong spin on the thesaurus.

• Morte66 says:

It is indeed strange use of the word gorgeous. It looks shit. Guild Wars, Numenara, they are gorgeous looking RPGs.

• Iron Ladyboy says:

I bought it a while ago and haven’t had time to play it yet but I think the style is charming.

• almostDead says:

I would bet cash money, that if you didn’t prime someone’s thoughts beforehand, ‘gorgeous’ wouldn’t be in the top 100 words used to describe the aesthetics of this.

Unless they were the developer’s mother perhaps.

• Ultra Superior says:

Exactly the same concept, only gorgeous and already released: http://apps.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/app/reaper/348bb95e-5acc-422f-a448-93716f00f9c1

Surprised it hasn’t been covered here yet.

• KillahMate says:

Yeah, I just came here from the Hyper Light Drifter article – that one sets a pretty high bar for ‘gorgeous’.

2. Sam250 says:

Looks horrible. I look at that and I only see amateur, low resolution pixel art, that everyone seems to give a free pass to because it is “retro” or “ironic” or whatever. It’s not even attractively designed for the meagre resolution it uses — compare to Batman NES or Hyper Light Drifter, to give an old and a new example — and really if you want to be making the best looking stuff, if you want it to be “gorgeous”, you should be *increasing* the resolution (as well as improving your aesthetic), because higher resolutions equals more possibilities (now look at Muramasa or Wario Land Wii).

Zelda 2 was a great game, by the way, the best NES Metroidvania I have played by far. Tough (at least to begin and end with), and that is a positive, tense and exciting as hell, awesome combat and music and bosses and powerups and anyone who disses this game has no taste, fact.

• Nevard says:

for some reason I thought this comment was on the Dino Run 2 article and was outraged but then fortunately I scrolled up and though “oh”

you’re right, this should be more like Dino Run 2

• DickSocrates says:

The style is deliberate. Whether you like it or not, or are tired of it or not, is entirely in your head. The art style possibly is influenced by a lack of having the money to hire a great animator and artist, what else do you want them to do? The game and story is the point, with an aesthetic that is possible for one person with limited skills in those particular areas to get made. Talking about Batman is pointless, Sunsoft was an established company that hired people, not just an indie with an idea and limited funds. It’s on Kickstarter for flip sake and you want them to have industry quality art and animation. If the person whose idea the game was also happened to be a great artist, that would have been a coincidence. It’s like asking a novelist to also design the cover of book.

• almostDead says:

So is ‘gorgeous’ appropriate here, because they couldn’t or didn’t afford otherwise?

• Shooop says:

Why would you not ask the novelist to have a part in the cover? It’s going to be his/her work contained in it, he/she better have an interest in the first thing potential buyers are going to see.

And are you saying deliberately making something to be crap is just asking for people to call it such but they shouldn’t dare say it?

Should we never ever criticize the CoD series of late for looking awfully dated either because it was obviously a deliberate decision of the team?

• Sam250 says:

“The style is deliberate.”

Still ugly.

“The art style possibly is influenced by a lack of having the money to hire a great animator and artist”

Undoubtedly. Not my problem.

“Whether you like it or not … is entirely in your head”

Wow, duh.

“and you want them to have industry quality art and animation.”

Yes. Why would I want anything less? I’m not saying this guy should be able to magically produce that, but that given the choice out of this game and all others, I will choose the best ones. And this ain’t it.

I was just asserting that it looks bad. No matter what excuses you make for them, it doesn’t change what goes into my eyes. I’m not going to praise the art because the guy tried his best, or whatever. I’m just saying what I see.

It’s not like I have anything against this guy doing what he can do, but as much as anything I had to respond to John Walker for the adjectives he used in the first place.

3. Saarlaender39 says:

At the CAD 5,- pledge-level you get the game (when it’s done) and at the CAD 40,- pledge-level you get “Cloaks & Spells” as a bonus?
    Woah, …another alpha…for CAD 35,-?

Great deal! Get it while it’s hot!

No, wait…”Cloaks & Spells” is on Desura…for €4,99 – which is around 7,- canadian dollars.

Maybe not such a great deal, after all.

• DonJohn says:

I believe the 40$ pledge includes all bonus content such as OST, and digital Art Books etc. for each game.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Well, I guess that changes everything, yes?… ;-)

Btw: you get the OST, an “artistic” PDF booklet and your name in the final credits + alpha and beta…oh, and not for each game…only for “Elliot’s Quest”.

• DonJohn says:

You are right in that it’s poorly worded. The bonus content and credits etc. are for both games.

• botonjim says:

Cloaks & Spells is from these guys too? That game should receive some Greenlight love! The demo I tried was great fun in an old school action adventure sort of way. Even less “gorgeous” than Elliot here though.

4. Shooop says:

Oh look another “retro” throwback x-bit platformer the PC gaming press is ga-ga about these days.

Using Kickstarter to do something different or daring enough that a major studio wouldn’t dare touch it? Why bother when all you have to do is copy and paste the code from any old Atrai 2600 platformer game and critics will shower you with praise?

5. Sam250 says:

By the way, how is this an RPG by any definition of the word? I know it is a vaguely defined term anyway and someone will try come up with something to make it fit, but there is, as far as I can tell, no character development control (role, appearance, equipment ect.) and no narrative control or freedom, so as far as I am concerned this is a platformer or Metroidvania, no more an RPG than Zelda 2.

6. Loque says:

Argh, another pixel-based game… I understand it’s easier and faster to develop a game with simple graphics but… I am really starting to hate pixels now :(

7. twaitsfan says:

Wow – what brought out the butt-munchers? Easy people, if you don’t like it don’t pay the five bucks. 4 people making a game asking for 4k with already a fun browser ready demo. It’s not Neal Stephenson asking 500k for a sword-game demo…