Let’s Sing, Suggests New PC Karaoke Game

By John Walker on November 7th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

One of the best things about PC gaming is the paucity of karaoke games. Oh, what’s this? Curses. Voxler Games have just announced the release date of Let’s Sing. Let’s not, eh?

Oh, okay, my loathing of karaoke is not shared by, well, anyone else as far as I can tell. So perhaps you’re desperate for a way for your PC to hear your pitchy screeches, which you’ll be able to do on the 12th December? However, we all may want to agree to raise an eyebrow at their peculiar claim of being “the first karaoke game for PC”. Um.

Try telling that to Disney Sing It, Karaokegame, Karafun, Guitar Hero: World Tour, and UltraStar. To name the first few I found.

That aside, this is a more official release than some of the above, and contains a bunch of well known songs for you to murder in front of other people who apparently possess no shame. The likes of Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Kool And The Gang and Queen are licensed. You can see the rest of the playlist on the game’s site. Warning: it contains Maroon 5. It’ll allow two mics to be plugged in at the same time, so the clashing horror of karaoke duets can be performed, and has Facebook integration so you can upload your monstrous screaming for others to hate.

Just what is this desire to sing other people’s songs in front of other people? I don’t feel the need to act out videogames to my friends, nor stage home performances of favourite films. Everyone, just stop it.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Fenix says:

Dear God that playlist is cringe worthy.

• GernauMorat says:

It really is quite horrifying

Hodge says:

Dear God would make that playlist significantly less cringeworthy.

And what on earth is Sam Cooke doing in there? It’s like someone accidentally dropped their chilli burrito into an open sewer.

• airmikee99 says:

I wonder if most readers on here have even heard ‘Dear God’.

• Rovac says:

if chilli burrito is Sam Cooke then I agree with you
        I quite like Sam Cooke, they should put more of him in there. But honestly I don’t know why people want to do a karaoke of his song, it’s much more enjoyable listening to him

• Baltech says:

I love karaoke and I am not above torturing my vocal cords with some cringe worth pop pap but Singstar had at least the decency to include some really classic examples of pop pap. This thing has Bruno Mars in it, the toxic smugness levels of his Lazy Song alone should require the software to be quarantined.

• Geebs says:

Also what is it with having “featuring” credits on there, where the featured artist is the one who got taken off to make the backing track?

2. MuscleHorse says:

The first karaoke game on PC was an exe of Winamp and a bottle of whiskey.

Bracknellexile says:

Trust me, your loathing of karaoke is shared by at least me. Specially when it’s coming from the pub just round the corner at 120dB on a Friday night.

4. Keyrock says:

Back in my barhopping days, whenever my buddies and I would be at a bar, as soon as karaoke was announced we’d all drink our drinks as fast as we could and get the **** out of there, then move on to someplace else.

Craymen Edge says:

No, I have no love for Karaoke either. I just don’t understand the appeal. I don’t think you’ll be in a minority here.

I don’t want to do it, and don’t know why I’d want to watch anyone else do it.

strangeloup says:

Karaoke is awful. And if I want to sing along to music on my computer — to be honest it usually happens with The Smiths — I have the necessary equipment to do that already, namely a) a thing that plays music, and b) a voice.

AngelTear says:

I don’t understand all the hate for karaoke in this comment section D:
    More than anything, I’m often too shy to do it in public, but I find it incredibly fun nonetheless. And it’s true that a media player + minilyrics (or other synchronized lyric viewers) is enough for karaoke, but in a social situation a gamey environment that can somehow spin the whole thing into a friendly competition can greatly enhance the experience.

But that playlist is awful D:
    Hopefully people will be able to mod it with their own songs easily.

• Skabooga says:

Yeah, I enjoy a night of karaoke as well. Then again, I’m an admitted exhibitionist and love attention, and I suppose not everyone has those tendencies.

• Damien Stark says:

Only good karaoke is Korean-style karaoke: you essentially rent a small room (seats about 6-8 people maybe) with your group of friends. Cheap-but-strong alcohol can be ordered to said room, and you have an extensive list from which you can select and queue up songs to your taste.

It eliminates the whole “I don’t want to get on a stage in front of strangers” and can be quite fun.

• Bart Stewart says:

If the Korean romantic comedies (“kdramas”) are to be believed, karaoke is a very useful business tool.

The point seems to be to get some soju into everyone, then everyone has to embarrass themselves vocally. That way everybody has some dirt on everybody else. That’s an approved way of knocking small holes in the Korean social hierarchies, presumably letting coworkers at different levels express things they wouldn’t otherwise be able to say.

Again, though, that’s how the kdramas make it look. The reality might be quite different.

8. KAlothIV says:

It’s good to know that they are “Free of viruses and spyware”. Makes all the difference.

9. Fetthesten says:

I love singing, and a few years back the wife and I used to host semi-regular SingStar parties. SingStar is pretty much the reason karaoke games are dead now, because it really nailed the game aspect of karaoke. Shit at singing? No matter, dial the difficulty down to Easy and get five-star ratings as long as you can carry a note! Really good at singing? Well, screw you then. SingStar was absolutely massive for several years here in Norway (there were several exclusive (term used loosely) Norwegian-only hit collections released under the SingStar brand), and I’d imagine it’s still going strong on PS3. My point is: There’s not much point in releasing a karaoke game for the PC, I imagine a second-hand PS2 and a whole stack of SingStar games would be easily available for free.

10. MarkB says:

I hate karaoke but I suspect 90% of that hate comes from crap playlists. So I’ve been mentally compiling a list of songs that I would want on my ideal karaoke machine. The songs are horribly inappropriate for karaoke, but I find it much more appealing when everyone knows it’s going to be a train-wreak.

Here’s some of what I’ve got so far (I’m open to recommendations):

Can – Halleluwah

Modest Mouse – Shit Luck (THIS PLANE IS DEFINITELY CRASHING (30 seconds of air guitar) THIS BOAT IS OBVIOUSLY SINKING)

Laurel Halo – Carcass

Sunn 0))) – Agartha

11. derbefrier says:

I hate karaoke to but not because I hate getting drunk and singing I just prefer to do it with a couple of acoustic guitars and a room full of friends. Those are good times right there and pretty much how I spent most of my 20s.

psepho says:

Karaoke on PC at last!

I can already imagine sitting alone in our little study/cupboard, singing along all night while my family sleeps…

13. NotToBeLiked says:

There’s a great free Karaoke game out there with a huge amount of songs: Spotify with the TuneWiki plugin. It doesn’t have every song in the world, and not all the songs have (correctly synced) lyrics. But unless you want points or something for keeping in tune, it’s pretty much everything you need.

14. bill says:

Real Karaoke is actually awesome. Much to my (and everyone’s) surprise.

Rent a small room with 5-6 friends, unlimited beer for 2 hours and all sing horribly badly together at the top of your lungs to whatever nostalgic songs you can find in the playlist. and it only gets better as the beer continues.

UK style Kar’i’ok’i’ where you have to stand up in front of a room of strangers and actually attempt to sing well?? That’s horrible.

Every single person I know who has tried it has resisted at first, and every one has ended up loving it.

15. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I would so sing peaches at a karaoke party with friends.

16. Cindy says:

If you don’t like Karaoke games, why are you commenting here?

If like me you like them, then Let’s Sing on PC is a good news, and after trying it is a pretty good game.

The article says how about Disney Sing It, Karaokegame, Karafun, Guitar Hero: World Tour, and UltraStar.
    Sing It is console only, but this is the closest game quoted. Let’s Sing is in that family of Singing Games, such as SingStar, Lips, We Sing, Sing It, Karaoke Revolution. But none of those games is PC.

The other example quoted are either illegal (Ultrastar) or just Karaoke without scoring, without music videos or original songs.

So if you like console Karaoke games, you will like Let’s Sing !

I do recommand.