The Veloci-Rapture: Dino Run 2

By Adam Smith on November 7th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Dino Run is a game in which Velociraptors wearing hats flee from an apocalyptic event across procedurally generated landscapes. I hadn’t realised quite how long ago the original came out, in its first form, but here’s John writing about it before I was born. It seems like a difficult game to expand on but that’s exactly what Pixeljam are hoping to do, having launched a Kickstarter campaign for Dino Run 2. Three different eras, multiple playable dinosaurs…humans?

The multiple dinosaurs are the biggest challenge for Pixeljam and the greatest addition to the game’s structure, requiring more complex procedural generation to take advantage of their varied abilities.

The feature we’re most excited about is the ability to play as a number of dino types, each with their own strengths and methods of overcoming obstacles. Our classic Velociraptor is back with his speed and reflexes, while the Archaeopteryx can glide through the air and dive bomb enemies. The Parasaurolophus is fast and heavy but too tall to enter most tunnels, while the mighty Triceratops is unstoppable at top speed, smashing through everything in his way.

Dino Run 2 isn’t Canabalt with a dinosaur. While it has elements in common with endless runner games, it’s more of a high-paced exploration game, with multiple routes and interactive elements in the scenery.

A raptor solves problems with his speed; levels generated around him will have plenty of classic jumping and dodging challenges. A triceratops makes his way forward with brute force, making toppled trees into bridges and gravel out of the boulders that stand in his way; his world will be physically intimidating. A pachycephalosaurus can ram his bone helmet into a weak wall to reveal a smaller hidden tunnel; his levels will have multiple winding paths to explore. The archaeopteryx’s and pterodactyl’s world will emphasize the sky and the cliffs that most dinos cannot traverse.

And the dinos will also be scarpering and pummelling their way through coffee shops and petrol stations in the modern era, which joins the original Cretaceous zone and the Paleolithic. Of course, man and dinosaur didn’t exist side by side, but Pixeljam have used their own brand of magic to create the impossible.

The game progresses through three distinct time periods in Earth’s history, two of which are historically impossible, but our flawless video game logic makes it not only possible, but sensible!

That does seem sensible, as does the pitch. Pixeljam have experience in development and budgeting, and I’d like to see them take on a larger project.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

amateurviking says:

Clever girls…

2. Viroso says:

I’m still confused about what’s a Dino Run 2. Do you backtrack? Is a playthrough something kinda like FTL or Binding of Isaac? If you are too slow do you die?

Maltose says:

Try playing the original:

Dino Run was basically a runner (not endless though, from the version I played) where you were trying to outrun a wall of magma while collecting secrets, points, etc. I assume Dino Run 2 will be similar.

3. Syra says:

EXCITE.

I do wonder about the Trex sound now, everyone riffs on the JP sound but that’s just a mash up of some random animals being thrown in a blender. How do we KNOW?

• Skabooga says:

For a second there, I pictured Spielberg throwing random animals in a giant blender and recording their death screams for use in his movie. Then I parsed your sentence correctly. I’m not sure I would have been able to watch Jurassic Park again otherwise.

4. blobb says:

WHAAAA?? HEY HOW COME THERE’S 8-BIT PIXEL ART?? I THOUGHT IT WAS 2013 !!!!?? WHAT’S GOING OOOOOONNN????

SO IRONIC

5. SominiTheCommenter says:

The music was great.

6. SillyWizard says:

The guys in this video all look like they could use a shower.

7. trjp says:

I loved the original – it’s the best ‘endless runner’ there is because there’s so much stupid stuff to find out about in there…

I struggle a bit with throwing large sums of money at a sequel tho because – despite their considerable efforts to explain it, I’m not really seeing a huge amount of ‘new stuff’ here – and the original is a hard act to follow!

• Konil says:

If I’m not mistaken, the original one isn’t either procedurally generated or endless. It features a fixed ammount of cleverly designed levels.

8. KirbyEvan says:

Sweet, I was a big fan of the first game.

9. Geen says:

YES, YES!
    I goddamn loved the original, so my money is being jammed into my disk drive right now.