Bullet Bros Grapples Jeep To Helicopter, Self To Kickstarter

By Graham Smith on November 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Vehicles + grapplling hooks = yes.

Bullet Bros is a co-op Contralike with physics, in which you can use a grappling hook to tether a jeep to a helicopter before fighting other much larger helicopters. It’s up on Kickstarter now.

I like this line from the pitch video:

Any time I laugh, or when people are playtesting it, if they laugh at something ridiculous, even if it’s a physics glitch where a helicopter flips upside down and chops you in half, that I never even intended to happen, I’m leaving that stuff in.

Yes, this sounds like the kind of person I want making my videogames.

The game is being developed by Jason Stokes, a former environment artist at ArenaNet on Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2. He’s been working on Bullet Bros for a year now, and the footage from the Kickstarter pitch video suggests he’s made some decent progress. Now he’s looking for funding so he can hire help. Mainly, that’ll be a programmer who can write better physics and networking code, but he outlines other plans on the page itself.

Watching the video and looking at the screenshots, it reminds me of Intrusion 2, last year’s criminally overlooked and similarly co-op, physics-enabled Contralike. That one had a helicopter with muscly arms in it, which it would use to crush you and then pump in the air in victory.

More Bullet Bros screenshots:

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Ergates_Antius says:

Didn’t we just have a Contra-like game with “Bro” in the title?

• Squirly says:

We did (Broforce), but it’s a very different Contra-like which does different things.

Also, we could use more contra-likes so I’m game.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Broforce is even more Contra-like. This has physics

• Sc0r says:

But I liked super mario bros.
      super mario dudebros on the other hand…

2. InternetBatman says:

This game just looks like a barrel of fun. You missed the best shot though, the upside down helicopter chopping people up with its blades.

He is surprisingly honest about discussing his weaknesses, which is nice.

Also, I love the tags. Graham’s just having a dynamite day today.

• Unclepauly says:

I keep seeing posts where people reference “tags”. Excuse my complete ignorance but can anyone explain wtf is a tag. Please.

• Kefren says:

Alt tags – text descriptions of images, added to help screen readers and the like, so that if – for example – you’re blind, you can still find out what is going on on the web page. RPS adds funny descriptions to theirs sometimes (as many people do), so it is fun to check the alt tags. Strangely there was only one in this article when I checked.

On a PC you hover the pointer over the image to see an alt tag. On mobile devices there’s no equivalent behaviour, so you can’t read them.

svendelmaus says:

Actually, Safari seems to show them if you press and hold, when it pops up the Copy/Open pop up. Doesn’t appear to work for Chrome on the iPad though.

LTK says:

The above person is wrong. Tags are keywords applied to articles so they can be easily found in the archive. They’re below the article, above the comments. So, everything piracy related can be found at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/piracy/. A lot of times the writer will leave a one-off joke in the tags, just for fun.

• InternetBatman says:

Yep, I was referring to journolike.

• Kefren says:

I was the above person, and yes, I see that a different type of tag was meant and I was wrong. Have a lovely weekend good sirs and ladies.

3. LionsPhil says:

Intrusion 2 was a great lark (and its physics/procedural animation put a lot of AAA games to shame, especially the wolf and grabby lizard-y antagonists). Don’t remember it having co-op, though. Am I missing out?

Screwie says:

Steam doesn’t list it as co-op, so I guess Graham is mistaken.

Still, a co-op Intrusion 2 sounds fantastic, and as such I am instantly interested in this Kickstarter!

4. Maritz says:

Jeep and helicopter side-scrolling coop fun: immediately made me think of playing Silkworm on my A500.

Damn, when did I get so old? :(

• Atrocious says:

Yep, same. I was instantly hoping for a silkworm remake.

But co-op on the same screen doesn’t seem to happen a lot on PCs.

• smeghamr says:

Yep definitely more Silkworm-alike than contra. Another game sadly confined to generation gap obscurity =[ That title music for Silkworm made me wet. And we need a proper spiritual sequel ‘cos we all know SWIV was shit.

• Maritz says:

I seem to remember the jeep getting stuck on stuff quite often in SWIV, but overall it not being that bad. Definitely worked better as a side-scroller rather than top-down though.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I was thinking of SWIV :) Loved that game. So much PEW

5. draven says:

Just registered to praise Intrusion2, that game contained all the fun of Contra and Little Big Planet in a tiny 4-hour package of insane gameplay. It’s also really broken, but in a WTF? OMG… LoL! way. This one looks quite similar with HD graphics, so welcome be it, and the guy seems really honest. I’ll back it hoping it gets a Linux release…

• jonfitt says:

Broken how? This is the first I’ve heard of Intrusion 2 and it looks really good.

It seems one of the places where Intrusion 2 was “criminally overlooked” is RPS where they only have one preview and a note about it being in a Humble Bundle in June.

• Baines says:

The physics certainly seem to create issues.

The physic mechanics also often make the game seem more “fake” than pre-set fake physics, as they are a bit janky. The spots where physics work right actually makes the spots where it goes wrong, or at least doesn’t go realistic, stand out more.

As for the game itself, I cannot help but feel that it was depending on its physics engine to sell the game more than its other gameplay. It’s not bad, but it also isn’t polished the way a regular non-physics attraction side scroller would be polished.

6. Lemming says:

When I saw that yellow trike I had this going through my head. … But when your wheels get you theeeeeeere, things will turn out riiiiiiight!

7. Stevostin says:

Vehicule design is just plain fantastic

DrScuttles says:

Good gods, that first screenshot made my heart skip a beat as I assumed some kind of Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors inspired game. But then again it could just be because I drank all the coffee.

edit: Lemming and me are on the same wavelength it would seem!

• waaaaaaaals says:

It’s the car with the tentacle thing coming out of the top, it looks so much like half of the weird as hell plant car things off that show.

I am ok with this.

9. lautalocos says:

this reminds me a lot of cortex command.

spitscreen co-op game, in which you can melt the floor to go below your enemie base and surprise him.

oh, and you can fill a ship with crabs, send it to your enemie base, and see how the tons of crabs just crush him into a bloody pulp. that game was fun

10. psyman says:

The vehicles look so cool and satisfying, really inspired art design!. The rusty yellow colour scheme and industrial sci-fi style is very attractive, reminds me of the power loader from Aliens. Definitely going to donate.

I wish Battlefield or Halo had vehicles like this, it would be hilarious.

11. Shooop says:

While I’m definitely on board with the idea of “Woah that can happen? Leave it in, that’s amazing!” And I can imagine the laughing fits to be had while playing co-op and trying to move two vehicles tethered together around.

But after two horrible misfires on Kickstarter I’m done handing people money before I can tell what their finished product is going to look like.