Chip Off The Old Block: Chuck’s Challenge Released

By Adam Smith on November 8th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

When I was at school, before I discovered Doom deathmatch, I used to spend my evenings trying to beat every fiendish level of Chip’s Challenge. Wikipedia informs me that there were 149 levels in the version that I owned and I’m not convinced I saw more than a hundred. Tile-based, ice-sliding, crate-pushing, switch-hitting puzzlers aren’t my favourite forms of entertainment, but it’s more than nostalgia that has kept spiritual sequel Chuck’s Challenge on my radar. Developed by Chip’s creator Chuck Sommerville, it’s a puzzle game and creation tool all in one and it’s out now.

The 125 levels included with the game teach players how the various puzzle elements work and that knowledge can be put to use in the creation suite. User-created puzzles will be available to download, with the best placed under a spotlight every week.

Chuck’s Challenge itself is under a different light, Steam’s Green Beam, and anyone purchasing on Desura will receive a key if it arrives on Valve’s store. There’s a short demo, with both play and creation modes enabled, on Desura.

How long until we see a Kickstarter campaign for a different Chuck?

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. LionsPhil says:

…same video twice? Much prefer the old robots-and-technology theme to this fast-spiky-beast one.

And Chuck Rock had some pretty cool title music on the Acorn.

• Adam Smith says:

Oops. Fixed!

• Sharon says:

Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,…..http://goo.gl/uZpmvQ

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Had Chip’s Challenge on the Atari Lynx, never realised Chuck Sommerville had anything to do with Chuck Rock… Are you sure? Neither Moby Games nor Wikipedia gives me any connection… If I had to choose between the two I’d say Chip was the better game, Chuck Rock had amazing sound (not just the title music) and good graphics.

2. I Got Pineapples says:

I was just thinking a couple of days ago that it was kind of suprising the indie nostalgia machine hadn’t jumped on Chip’s challenge.

Also, Boulderdash. That’s another one we haven’t seen like thirty versions of yet.

• Jams O'Donnell says:

Unfortunately, I suspect a modern Boulderdash (or, since I was a BBC kid, a modern Repton) would be a physics-filled nightmare.

• phlebas says:

There was a Boulder Dash on the DS a few years ago that turned out pretty well, as I recall the levels were in themed worlds with a few different gimmicks. A bit less pure but no overly fancy physics stuff. I always preferred more puzzle-focussed variations like Repton over the arcadier Boulder Dash – updating them would need some smart new mechanic(s) while keeping the challenge pure and tight rather than introducing precision physics.

I was hooked on the Win95 version of Chip’s Challenge for a while but got stuck on an evil spirally maze level and never went back. The new one definitely looks interesting.

• Casimir's Blake says:

Perhaps you haven’t seen Boulder Dash XL? I wouldn’t blame you if not, it looks horrible. However the retro mode makes up for it.

• oyog says:

There’s always Pushcat. That certainly looked Boulder Dash inspired.

3. Danda says:

This game has been developed by the creator of the original Chip’s Challenge, so I think it’s only fair to support it.

4. InternetBatman says:

I really wanted to back this on Kickstarter when I saw the pitch, so I’m glad it’s out now. Out of all the features, I find the rewind one interesting, because frustration is central to my memories of Chips Challenge, but also great success when I reached the end. I wonder if that’s just nostalgia for a bad mechanic, or if it will change gameplay dramatically. Still looks like great fun.

5. frightlever says:

There’s a lot of this sort of puzzling in “Ittle Dew”, the Zelda-style game.

6. Alien426 says:

I think Clark looks better. Time for a PC release.

7. Koozer says:

What’s Haunter doing in there?

8. Wang Tang says:

Oh how fondly I remember playing CC with my best friend. We would play alone and exchange lvl codes in school, or play together, taking turns… we beat all of it, but so much frustration was involved :D

9. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

Seems like the sort of thing that would work better on Android …. oh, it is…. and it’s free. Result!

10. DrScuttles says:

Don’t even joke about a Chuck Rock Kickstarter; I swear that every time a retro game or series is mentioned these days, someone somewhere starts planning its Kickstarter. Still it’s better than a Chuck Rock FPS I suppose.