Dieselpunk Disquiet: Insomnia Kickstarts

By Adam Smith on November 8th, 2013 at 9:06 am.

I briefly mentioned online RPG Insomnia when it first came to my attention a couple of weeks ago but now that the project’s Kickstarter campaign has started, it’s worth revisiting. Studio MONO are eager to point out the differences between a massively multiplayer roleplaying game and their game, which is online but not from the same mould as WOW and its ilk. If it all comes together as planned, it seems like it’ll have the strengths of a single player game, including scripted and procedural quests, alongside larger events involving more than sixty players. The art design, described as ‘dieselpunk’, is lovely, in a rusted and charred sort of way. Do make sure to look at the team photos. Lead developer Anatoliy Guyduk is terrifying.

It’s the setting that keeps me interested, even as doubts about the online gubbins bubble up in the back of my mind. It’s the sort of grimy industrial sci-fi that tickles my fancy.

With a great deal of work already completed, MONO are hoping to fund the final push (although they still have a May 2014 release window) and need $70,000.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Alien426 says:

In other steampunky game news: the terrarian Windforge is on Kickstarter as well.

• Sharon says:

Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,…..http://goo.gl/uZpmvQ

2. Themadcow says:

Anatoliy Guyduk’s mugshot is intentionally a bit scary but Vasily Savin wins the prize for “most likely to have severed heads in his fridge”.

lhzr says:

hey, not cool, they ripped off the face noir logo: http://4logpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Face-Noir-logo.jpg

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Look Bioshock-y to me.
      If you ripoff a ripoff of a ripoff of Art Deco, does it make a sound?

lhzr says:

yeah, well, i’m not too bothered about the face noir or insomnia logos in themselves, it’s just that i’d expect a bit more originality out of an indie studio and this sort of thing kinda lowers my interest not just below the pledge-level, but also below the play-video-level.

• AngoraFish says:

So… a slightly elongated six sided shape is now copyriteable?

• Lanfranc says:

Different shapes, different textures, different fonts, different layouts. They don’t look all that similar to me, honestly.

• SillyWizard says:

Wow, yeah, that’s really quite a stretch. :/

4. XhomeB says:

I don’t know why, but for some reason it reminds me of that awesome looking post-apocalyptic RPG Troika Games wanted to make before they unfortunately were forced to close… There’s a video of it on youtube.

Anyway, I have only one word to say: WHY?! WHY an online game? Talk about a wasted potential, sigh.

5. InternetBatman says:

It’s fairly hard to get MMOs funded, but their incredibly low goal might help them. I haven’t seen any research, but I would guess that the problem is that people have a harder time feeling ownership over an MMO, and feelings of ownership and participation drive a lot of kickstarter.

6. Lemming says:

I have to admit when I saw the head line and the article image, I thought I was looking at a game staring Vin Diesel.

7. aliksy says:

I’m not really interested in an mmo unless it does something different, like not having a lot of tedious vertical progression or time sinks.

8. hypercrisis says:

This might be the most bland and uninspiring art direction I’ve seen in a long time. ‘dieselpunk’ is that really a thing?

Hidden_7 says:

Yup. It’s to 1920’s-50’s Americana (think big muscle cars) as Steampunk is to Victorian Britain. The pulp genre it uses as its base is similarly inspired by the times it pulls from, all film noir and dime store detective stories rather than Jules Verneish adventure yarns.