A Walk In The Dark Is No Walk In The Park

By John Walker on November 11th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Gorgeous shadowy platformer A Walk In The Dark was officially released a year ago. However, via the magic of that green, green light, it’s now launching itself all over again via its appearance on Steam. I’m pretty convinced that Greenlight isn’t working so well, but it’ll be interesting to learn whether these much-delayed indie releases give games a second bite of the money pie.

In the 2D, side-scrolling game, you play as either a sleek, leaping cat, or a young girl who inverts her gravity rather than jumping. And each is trapped in a world crafted by a sadistic lunatic who over-ordered spikes and spinning blades. The result is a super-precision platformer, where brushing against an obstacle means instant death, and back to the start of the level. However, levels are very brief, so this is never too hideous a setback.

I find the need for perfect control to be as much a test of patience as it is skill. But then of course it’s evidence that I’m a gaming genius whenever the patience pays off an I get past a tricky sequence. And it certainly does help that deaths see your character collapse into smoke, in a really quite stunning animation. That and the calming, Einaudi-like piano music helps to maintain my calm.

You can now pick the game up for a fiver on Steam, or you can still buy it directly from the developers for £4.

, , , .

1. Grey Poupon says:

Sounds like Super Meat Girl.

2. Ross Angus says:

If only RPS had some sort of tiny furry journalist who specialised in reviewing such games.

3. hunsnotdead says:

Such great aesthetics and beautiful music. Why waste it on a torture platformer, why? :O

• GameCat says:

It’s also a platformer which does one horrible thing (at least it was year ago, maybe they fixed this) – spikes that kill you even when you’re touching them from the side. :x

strangeloup says:

Hm. Can’t say the gameplay really appeals to me — these insta-death platformers are far too frustrating — but having the first words of the description on Steam being “In this action platformer you play as a cat” piqued my interest.

There aren’t enough games where you play as a cat. Or with a cat.

5. SuicideKing says:

Looks really nice, music was lovely, and the fox parts were played very gracefully. Might pick it up.

6. edwardoka says:

Lovely art style. Rather like the cat sections, but surely I can’t be the only one who thought “obvious VVVVVV mechanic rip-off is obvious”?

• empyrion says:

Yup, looks like a cross between Super Meat Boy, Limbo, and VVVVVV. Better to copy something good than to create a terrible original game I guess…