Get A Rush On: King Arthur’s Gold Now Out

By John Walker on November 11th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Soldat creators, Transhuman Design, have finally got King Arthur’s Gold out of alpha and onto Steam, heralding the official release. Looking like a cross between Terraria, Ace Of Spades, and a fever dream about some chickens. The launch trailer is a rather pleasant watch.

With up to 32 players in its multiplayer combat, it looks frankly terrifying to me. Remember when games were just about clubbing drivers to death and driving their cars into bridges?

It’s £6.29 on Steam, £7.20 on Desura, or $9.99 directly from the developers. The latter seems the best option, as more money will reach them, and you’ll get a Steam and Desura key anyway.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Williz says:

Now you’ve reminded me of this I’m destined to be playing it pretty much 24/7 for a few months now.

• Williz says:

Also just remembered I already paid for this too.. Haha sweet.

• The_Player says:

Should I buy it as well as 3 other copies to gift to friends right away? Spent all week-end with Risk of Rain, and this pxiel heaven looks as as delightful to me.

• BooleanBob says:

Given that it’s a mutliplayer game with a cover price, I think you might be better off buying 31 other copies of the game and your own dedicated server, just to be on the safe side.

Soldat was one of my first indie loves from a time when that word was used exclusively in the context of shit rock bands from Leeds. It was a side-scrolling proto-Hotline Miami, needing neither hypnotic beats nor weird crypto-Dada nega-narratives to evoke the same glorious feeling of poetry in violence, or violence in poetry, or SHOTGUNS ‘N’ HOVABOOTS. Plus it was well fun. Viva la Ruger!

• Williz says:

I was always partial to the FN

• MykulJaxin says:

I remember the moment when I figured out why everyone with sniper rifles would jump off ledges and go prone in mid-air… Turns out it acts as though you were prone on the ground. Loved Soldat. I actually picked this up this weekend and played the tutorial levels but have yet to properly play a game.

• Williz says:

In that case I would suggest that you should have bought this five minutes ago.

• SomeDuder says:

Looks amazing fun (Even if the trailer shows a group of 32 people that know each other IRL), but this seems another game where the community is extremely hostile, from the various Youtube vids and forum posts. Understandable – you build an amazing castle, only to have the dumb newbie that’s on your team fuck it all up. But it does make me hesitant to even bother trying.

Also read something about the developers being able to issue you a global ban, meaning you can’t play the game on any server. Not that I’m a griefer, but it does seem risky.

When it’s on sale, I’ll definately give it a shot in the hope that the above is just typical exageration.

• FuzzyBlueBaron says:

Actually, we took majority of that footage from public games we happened to be playing in– not scripted setups or specially organised matches.

Fwiw we’re really, *really* careful about handing out bans/reviewing them on appeal. Plus, anything short of outright hacking (or, I guess, serial griefing over an extended peroid) only generates a temp ban lasting a few days; so it’s not like you’re running a high risk of burning your money. ;)

• Glottis1 says:

I bought this game from a bundle a while ago and a lot of people talked about this game having a toxic community. I have played only 3-5 hours, but so far its not as bad as i tought. In-game chat is very active and a lot of players seem to be young, but its not that bad imo.

• DeVadder says:

I have played a few dozens of hours and the community is not toxic at all. If you are not outright griefing, most people on your team will hardly even notice what you do. Given you look like everyone else and shits exploding or dieing everywhere.
          I have yet to encounter any harasment not directed at the occasional griefer. Expect someone smugly showing a thumps up after you gracefully faceplanted into the wall right at their feet. But then again, i do thumbs up in those cases my own. On both sides that is.
          Long story short: Play it. It is awesome, hilarious fun. But do not take it too serious when on public servers.

• Reefpirate says:

I can testify that elaborate structures and hilarious scenarios happen very naturally and ‘spontaneously’ in this game. There are a lot of options for solving the puzzle of cracking the enemy’s fortifications, and cool little teamwork scenarios happen all the time.

I sometimes tire of gathering resources to build a good little tower only to have it kegged/arrow bombed/overrun with knights and enemy builders in the next 30 seconds… But sometimes well-built structures have a lasting impact on the game and it makes it all worthwhile.

And this game is full of hilarious moments, no doubt helped along by the awesome emotes system.

2. Vurogj says:

I think that’s the first time I’ve heard the Wilhelm Scream in a game trailer. I don’t know if that’s a good thing or not.

• Bobtree says:

Googling it indicates the Wilhelm scream is in the actual game and not just the trailer. That’s a showstopper for me unless it can easily be disabled or deleted or modded out. Dear developers everywhere, please don’t annoy your players with stuff like this.

• FredZepplin says:

Having played the game for, oh, 10 million hours now, I can say this doesn’t bother me at all whereas in hour number 1, maybe it did.

• Reefpirate says:

So I guess you didn’t play DooM either?

Some simple death sound effect really turns you off that much?

3. Paraquat says:

“Like a man of spiders…”

I think that’s sold it for me.

4. Njordin says:

But it´s older than Ace of Spades and Terraria. just fyi.

5. MM_rps says:

Hey I’m MM, developer of the aforementioned game. Just wanna say thanks for mentioning we get most profit if you buy directly from us. It’s true and keeps us going longer! :)
    Geti says thanks too.

6. Zankmam says:

I hope that there will be an active community on Tunngle.

7. Leb says:

Bought this cheap in a bundle a while ago, gave it a revisit with a buddy the other night and before we knew it we were deep into the night playing. Both archer and sword fighter handle well and there is actually some skill behind single combat (although large brawls often end up being hilarious bomb spams)

Building is a lot of fun as well, I would say more entertaining than minecraft/terraria because
    1) The building has an immediate and sometimes urgent purpose – BUILD A WALL HERE NOW
    2) Physics! While heartbreaking… watching your once impenetrable wall crumble is a thing of beautiful despair

8. FredZepplin says:

I’ve played this game since the early days, and I can say that it stays super fun even after playing it for several years. Perfect combo of total bedlam and rewarding opportunities for skillful play. It has a lot in common with Team Fortress 2 in my opinion, but is unique enough in itself to not require too many comparisons. The community is decent enough, and it’s helped by the fun emote/emoji system. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

9. Armitage says:

This game is unquestionably awesome. I play it almost exclusively despite owning BF4. If you have any interest, do yourself a favor and buy it. If anyone already has it and not sure if they like it, check out the roleplaying servers.

10. Smashbox says:

This game looks painfully fun. Is it gamepaddy?

Comment on this story