RPS Asks: What Are Your Plans For The New Consoles?

By John Walker on November 11th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

This November is a very big month in gaming. It’s traditionally the biggest month in the gaming calendar, but this one knocks the others into a hat so cocked it’s balancing on its brim. It sees the release of both the Xbox One, and the PS4. That’s enormous – previous console releases have been staggered, the PS2 appearing a year and a half before the Xbox, the Xbox 360 beating the PS3 to the shelves by a full year. That was all seven long years ago, and this time the battle is head to head, just a week separating the two black boxes’ arrival into the world. With them comes a slew of launch titles, some exclusive, some cross-platform, and what both Microsoft and Sony must be hoping will be their biggest Christmas ever. So where does that leave you, the fine looking PC gamer?

While we at RPS certainly believe the PC to be by far the best way to experience games, the perception that we’re in some way anti-console is entirely imaginary. We all own them, we all play games on them. Until about a month ago, when my PS3 coughed its last and bleeped its three deathly bleeps, I had both the current gen consoles plugged into my telly. And indeed have a cupboard full of their ancestors, going back to the Megadrive. No console can match the PC for its extraordinary freedoms, the instant and open access to a range of games so vast as to dwarf the consoles combined, and the intricacy and complexity available to its games. But that doesn’t mean we don’t enjoy sitting back in a comfy armchair and waggling a controller when the game is right.

And we know the same is true for very many of you. So we’re very interested to learn how readers plan to approach this month to end all gaming months.

Did you pre-order them both six months ago, and are now desperately wishing you could be one of those who gets an accidentally shipped early delivery? (Can we just take a moment to acknowledge Microsoft’s gall at having an unboxing video removed from YouTube because of “copyright violation”.) Or are you waiting to see how they go down, undecided on which to pick until a consensus is formed? Maybe you’ll wait a year for the inevitable revised versions, and pick up the old one at a significant discount? Or do you have absolutely no intention of picking up either?

Does the leap forward in tech concern you over your current PC build? It’s been an odd five or so years, with the consoles delaying their replacements a lot longer than was expected, leading to a significant drop in the progress of fidelity. When the big-budget, cross-platform games were coming out on eight-year-old hardware, they were far less likely to make demands of the PC, and so the biennial update has rather faded away. But what about now? As developers learn the new consoles, they’ll start pushing the tech farther and farther, and a middling PC might not keep up much longer.

Of course, it’s entirely possible that you’re placing your bets with the Steam Box, recognising that your armchair experiences needn’t rely on a plastic box that also wants to be your DVR, Hi-Fi system and teasmaid. Or do you wish the whole thing would just go away so you can get on with playing your elaborate RTS across three monitors and seven keyboards?

Let us know below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

Top comments

1. Haplo says:

I tried to build a house in a forested rural area once, but I was informed by the local council that it simply wasn’t backwoods compatible. :(

1. Nicodemus Rexx says:

If I get one it’ll be the PS4, though not anytime soon. Still a bit chapped by the sudden insistence on a “Pay for Play” multiplayer scheme, even if they give you a bunch of other stuff with it. (Could I just forgo the “free games” and play multiplayer without having to pay any money, please? I pay free on PC all the time…)

Also, the lack of out-of-the-box backwards compatibility means I’ll need to replace my PS3 first (died) because I need my Uncharted, dang it!

2. spectone says:

I was going to buy a PS4 I had all the money saved and then I just went and blew it all on textbooks for self education instead. I don’t have a console, I would have liked to have a PS4 but I would rather learn electronics so I can build my own console. I’d only want to play games from the 70′s, 80′s and early 90′s anyway.

3. GTRichey says:

PS4 preordered. Lately I’ve been using my PS3 or Vita for the majority of my gaming. My laptop could handle most things alright when I bought it (I never cared to much for cranking graphics up to crazy levels), but has started to struggle quite a bit more. Would buy/build a custom PC, but that’s prohibitively expensive here in AUS to get anything remotely future proof so here’s hoping Valve is onto something good with those Steam Machines (which I’m glad they went with over box if only because it conjures up Daft Punk).

4. Shadram says:

I’ll buy one of them at some point, but not until there’s a game that warrants the purchase. All there is at the moment are graphical updates to the normal annual AAA churn that I’ve not bothered with this generation, can’t see why I’d start now.

5. Jason Moyer says:

I will buy a new console when Visual Concepts is allowed to make a new NFL football game, and only then if there’s no PC version. Until that time, I’m content with Wii exclusives/emulators and NFL 2k5 on my old Xbox.

6. Chaz says:

For the time being I’m not going to bother with either of them. I’m more excited at the prospect of these new VR or AR sets being developed and would rather save my money for them. To add to that I currently have a huge back log of PC games to get through as it is, without adding to it with those from a new console release. Not that there’s much, if any, that I’m excited about among the new console game releases anyway. Also there’s the money aspect. Right now I would rather spend that kind of cash on upgrading my PC.

7. pertusaria says:

I’m considering buying a PS3 if I can get one of the early-ish models that was backward compatible with the PS2. Problem is, I’d also have to buy and licence a television (unless they change the media licencing system in Ireland first). If I get this far, it’ll be the first non-handheld console I’ve owned.

Pretty tempted by a 2DS for the re-release of Ocarina of Time and a few other games that I can’t play on the DS, though.