Another Dimension: Interplanetary Trailer Slingshots Strategy

By Graham Smith on November 12th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Coming from Uranus to check my style

I was lamenting with friends, as we gathered for whiskey and cigars, that there was no space combat game that took into account gravitational pull. I wanted the Kerbal Space Program equivalent of space combat, a game that involved slingshoting projectiles around solar bodies and towards their intended target.

So it is and so it was and so here is the trailer for Interplanetary, a strategy game where you do just that.

As the site explains, the game is designed for short skirmishes against other players or AI, and there’s three different weapon types. That all makes it sound a little like a extraterrestrial DEFCON, which, yep, is a thing I would like to play.

Interplanetary is currently in closed alpha but they seem keen for folks to try it out.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. kalniel says:

Warheads. 1997

2. Cinek says:

Looks quite interesting, though if not the fact that I tried Defcon – I wouldn’t know anything from that trailer.

3. Rath says:

Coming soon: John Crichton & Wormhole DLC.

4. Kefren says:

I’ll stir fry my enemies in my wok.

5. DeepQantas says:

You can probably just eyeball it.

6. Ciaphas22 says:

I wonder if they also have a function where you have to convert calculations from metric to imperial.

7. SuicideKing says:

Do you even need explosives for interplanetary warfare, wonder? Just get something big enough into your target’s orbit…

• nitehawk says:

Also my favorite example from the site, Sneaky the Cat.

If you catch somebody at orbital velocity going the opposite direction of you… you can throw just about anything into their path to annihilate them.

I am kind of excited about a game like this, using orbital mechanics not just for fun and profit… but destruction.

• frightlever says:

Ssshhh. If you think about it too hard most space combat will probably be about throwing bucket loads of chaff at each other. Not exciting…

• Phasma Felis says:

Well, generally you’re looking for “fast and precisely aimed” more than “big and somewhere near the target.” But yeah, there’s a certain smallish fraction of lightspeed (can’t remember off the top of my head) where any matter explodes on impact with a force equal to its weight in TNT. Much beyond that, explosives are just redundant.

Edit: Wow, “smallish fraction of lightspeed” was a huge overestimate. “Rick Robinson’s First Law of Space Combat: An object impacting at 3 km/sec delivers kinetic energy equal to its mass in TNT.” That’s about one ten-millionth of lightspeed, and it just goes up from there. At 10% of C, a fluffy down pillow will hit like a nuclear bomb.

• Universal Quitter says:

Coming from interplanetary orbit, I highly doubt you’d have much luck with precision, unless you’re dealing with a guided projectile of some kind, tailored to the atmosphere of each target planet. That seems to be outside the scope of this game…

I think the big, heavy weight concept is far more realistic than explosive space artillery. I mean, we ARE developing rail-gun technology in real life, right?

8. karthink says:

Looks like you’ll be getting your own squad after this, Graham.

9. LTK says:

It seems rather simplistic as far as targeting is concerned. Strategy games aren’t usually about figuring out how the payload makes it to the target; you just point and click, and the game (or your subordinates) takes care of the rest. Having to plot the trajectory yourself just seems like busywork. Dealing with the constantly shifting battlefield that is the solar system could be interesting, though.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Looks pretty interesting to me, combining Strategy with Artillery games. It’s not that often someone tries a genre mash-up with Artillery games. Hell, the entire genre has pretty much been stagnant since Worms 1.

(And a name drop just for the heck of it – Scorched Tanks on Amiga. The best Artillery game of all time.)

• frightlever says:

I played the Kerbal demo and hated it. Some people like it. Some people look at long division as the Devil’s work, some people build rockets. It’s not going to be the next COD franchise but there are plenty of ballistics geeks who’ll provide a market, I guess.

What helps for me is that I now recognise when people tell me that a game is great and that I should try it, they really mean they like it and there’s no point me arguing with them about it. I should just be on my way, until I can get home, where I punish them with my Voodoo dolls.

10. Sp4rkR4t says:

Just tried it, not very impressed at all really. It’s a nice concept that just doesn’t translate to a very good game unfortunately.

11. Sidewinder says:

Never played Gravity wars, then?

12. Darth_Pingu says:

Damnit, now I gotta reinstall Dishonored – again!