A 105 Minute Documentary About Minecraft For No-Pennies

By Alec Meer on November 12th, 2013 at 7:00 pm.

who's that guy?

Minecraft: The Story Of Mojang was a 2011 crowd-funded documentary about Minecraft, featuring interviews with a host of big-name developers: Tim Schafer, Todd Howard, Chris Hecker, Peter Molyneux and some Swedish guy in a hat. Although he doesn’t wear the hat much in this.

General sentiment I heard was that, despite high production values and a fine roster of talking heads, it was perhaps too fluffy to yield much in the way of true insight. So it’s probably best if one approaches it as celebration rather than investigation of Mojang’s ubiquitous block-building/smashing game. The good news is that there is no longer any need to spend money in order to watch it, for its 1hr44 entirety is now free, free, and thrice free on the YouTubes. I’ve embedded it below for you, for fear you might hurt your fingers if you tried to visit a different webpage.

The folk behind it, 2 Player Productions, are the same outfit who’ve been documenting the making of the Kickstarted DoubleFine game now know as Broken Age. They seem to know their way around a video camera alright, but from a few brief watches the film is perhaps cut from cloth a little too similar to the INSPIRING MUSIC AND LOW DEPTH OF FIELD approach used in similar feelgood-ish docs, such as Indie Game: The Movie. But it’s a lot of good-lookin’ film for free, so I shouldn’t grumble so. Until now the movie cost between $8 and $20, depending on how fancy-pants an edition of it you wanted, but the YouTube version goes up to 720p so all should be well.

Hey, has anyone here ever played Minecraft?

, .

1. SillyWizard says:

I used to play Minecraft but then I took an arrow in the knee.

2. Tei says:

A note:
    They use images from the unoficial RPS server (with others) taken from this awesome video.

Yay us :DD

LTK says:

Haha, I was wondering why they used the Painterly Pack for the official documentary! And by all rights, they should, because the default textures are ugly as sin.

• zeekthegeek says:

Word. I’m friends with Rhodox/Kas of Painterly and he deserves so much more love than he gets. And now you can get his textures on little dice block things and build awesome looking mc shit for reals :> Link is up on his site. (painterlypack.net)

As for the documentary..well the doublefine stuff is better but for free this is pretty okay! Not exactly any hardhitting questions answered here.

3. Dr I am a Doctor says:

More like, Minecraft for no-penis

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

dont sign your posts

Gap Gen says:

*Touches thumb to index finger in a short of open palm, then extends index finger upwards with the third finger at an angle*

4. Ultra Superior says:

graphics look like ’93 at best

5. Stevostin says:

Never played Minecraft. Terraria was dangerous enough, thank you.

6. BLACKOUT-MK2 says:

It’s odd. Of my brief time with Minecraft, I spent more time doing anything but crafting a mine.

• The Random One says:

I crafted a mine, but I don’t think I ever mined anything out of it.

7. FurryLippedSquid says:

Edited, because it was a rubbish post.

Crimsoneer says:

It’s a great documentary IMO – far better than Indie Game The Movie. One to watch!

welverin says:

I was entertained when I watched it a while back.

10. AtomicTroop says:

So do they actually credit Infiniminer in this documentary?

• NormanTimbers says:

hahahahaha no.

not even one mention of wurm online. Skip to the end, they suggest that his hometown inspired him or some shit to be poetic. They also try to compare him to Carmack. Made me laugh. Gross java.

This is far from hard hitting, this is feelgood crap.

Nothing against minecraft of course. Not like he abandoned it after a month.

11. RagingLion says:

Huh. I actually paid to watch this on a whim within the last month.

I don’t regret it, but the fluffiness is probably fair – wouldn’t say it had a real vision behind it, but it was all rather nice given the soundtrack and production quality. Was interesting to see the Mojang guys had gotten to the place of realising how influential Minecraft was and their insights that came from that knowledge.

12. Urthman says:

That’s a pretty impressive texture pack in the opening shot of the video, and some really nice water shaders.

• bstard says:

Beyond The End, The Nether and further away as Far Lands, hell, even passed The Void, is (tatatata tromtrom) The Outside. They say it’s crap your pants scary!

13. Dowr says:

They went with the “fluffy” approach rather than the “analytically insightful” approach because games developers are honestly not that interesting – they sit in a room and code; draw ;animate or model all day.

Their backgrounds are pretty much “my parents got me a Commodore 64 and I learnt to program that way”. You wont find underdog stories or anything of the such here.

14. Armante says:

I enjoyed the first part they released as a sort of trailer. Liked the music, the shots.
    The full length kinda loses the plot, brings in some lame outside stuff trying to show the impact in the rest of the world, education, and it just didn’t work well. Still worth a watch, but yeah, coulda been better

15. ludicrous_pedagogy says:

Does this have quite so much needless swearing as Indie Game The Movie does? I would like to use both docs for Games Design Club at the school I work in, but that element of the ‘reality’ of games design really annoys me, and could potentially get me into trouble if I used them.

16. Colej_uk says:

It’s pretty interesting, but it doesn’t feature any of the risk or drama that Indie Game The Movie had. Because the documentary picks up after Minecraft is already a huge success, there’s no real drama at all. The documentary is basically the crew hanging round Mojang for a few days, interspersed with interviews from various Minecraft gamers.

Still pretty cool and interesting though. They go into the creation, the success, and the fanbase. Don’t expect a narrative, but more of a factual exploration of Minecraft.