No-One Expects A 30 Minute Video Of Dragon Age Inquisition

By Alec Meer on November 12th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

Quick, quick, before it’s pulled!

Unless of course this is a clever marketing ruse, wherein giving the impression that this half-hour of in-game Dragon Age 3-ing is somehow illicitly-obtained makes everyone frantically watch every second of it. WE ARE BEING TRICKED DON’T WATCH THIS VIDEO WHATEVER YOU DO

This footage was captured at Finnish games expo, or so the story goes. We know the truth – it’s Mike Laidlaw wildly waving his iPhone at his own monitor while someone runs a large and noisy fan in the background to simulate crowd noise.

Shaky cam funtimes means it probably doesn’t afford a decent look at the graphics, but hopefully it’s more helpful in terms of understanding how combat works.

HERE IS A SUGGESTION WHICH WILL NOT BEAR FRUIT: why not comment on what you think of Dragon Age Inquisition, rather than how you felt about Dragon Age 2? Honestly, everything’s been said about that already.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. MuscleHorse says:

Comment on how I feel about DA:I: Cautiously optimistic. I enjoyed Origins, bland as it was, but a later entry in the series weren’t all that.

• UmmonTL says:

I haven’t played DA2 so I don’t feel the need to comment.
      So, DA:Inquisition looks good (yay graphics) which is to be expected.
      The combat seems to work well and I like pause&plan style of DA1. It seems a bit too slow to me, my guess is that they want you to fight in real time for most smaller encounters. In DA1 I remember that almost any encounter could go bad quickly if you didn’t micromanage your guys which was kind of tedious but I still want the fights to feel frantic.
      I must admit that I skipped over parts of the video but what will make this game will be the story, the world and the characters. Everything seems to be competently made but without standout features, a very safe bit of gamedesign.

• eQuality_Ninja says:

Ummon says it best; it’s going to boil down to whether it has a gripping story. It will also be helped tons by not having grind for the sake of grind. And the graphics do look delicious.

Cautiously optimistic, but will wait on a WIT before making up my mind…

• seruko says:

after ME3 and DA2 this is a must not buy. Never forget. Never forgive.

• tumbleworld says:

Yeah, the video is reasonably encouraging. It looks like the micromanaged battles won’t be vital every time, which is nice, and they seem to have taken the “corridor zones” criticisms on board, too. I’m less convinced by the whole shtick about ‘your choices will have meaningful consequences’, but we’ll see.

Despite the video narrator’s comments about conflict being the heart of DA, it’s always seemed to me that party interaction is the true heart. If they do a good job there, and make the game Not Bloody Stupid(tm) this time, it could be good fun.

• Jaybrand says:

Not very excited about this one…never finished DA 1, ME 1 or ME 2. Never played DA 2 or ME 3.
      No matter how much the series’ appeals to me I feel they lack something in terms of pacing or such. Unimportant micro management and plodding around takes the joy out of it for me.

While this look pretty, I couldn’t help but focus on the clipping straight through the grass and stones on the ground and the synchronised dancing enemies when the character is watching the siege.

Feels like a boring girl in a pretty dress…doesn’t really keep your attention very long.

2. Jimbo says:

The Witcher 3 will be better.

3. Sakkura says:

Fetch… the comfy chair!

4. Ny24 says:

I really liked Dragon Age and I liked Dragon Age 2 too! And I’m also really looking forward to this one.

Hopefully this information was of the most importance to everyone here. Thank you.

5. Orija says:

Do not read! Do not read!
    This is a mispost!

6. Low Life says:

A competing title will be better.

I had no idea they were already showing this much of the game. Isn’t it coming out in late 2014 at the earliest?

• Pan Vidla says:

Well, it says “pre-alpha build” in the upper right corner, so I think they still have quite a lot of time to finish it.

• BobbyDylan says:

Mhe. EA needs to learn what the stages in development mean. Battlelefield 4 was in “pre-alpha” right up until a few weeks before release.
        Admittedly, that’s because we got released a Beta version….

7. lofaszjoska says:

It has pretty colours.

8. Ross Mills says:

This isn’t new, it’s been around for a while.

The Red Lyrium issue looks like it might be investigated further. I like this.

9. I Got Pineapples says:

I’m going to get this, because I like me some RPG, I liked DA:O and have little self control, but I’d be more comfortable about if they’d at least acknowledged that they made some serious missteps with certain parts of the Dragon Age series.

• Grygus says:

They have, actually. This is why a lot of players are cautiously optimistic about this game.

• eQuality_Ninja says:

Back when ME2 came out, Bioware was the bastion for actually listening to fan feedback and making a genuinely better game; ME2 was light-years ahead of ME1 in terms of mechanics (and personally I think character-interaction and story too). Let’s hope that same instinct survives, regardless of how people may have felt about their recent efforts (which again, did actually take on feedback).

• mouton says:

Wait, what?
          ME2 had many improvements, yes, and I enjoyed it. But it was widely lambasted for many other things: removal of Mako, while welcomed by many, reduced the whole game to a long corridor. They introduced thermal clips, because it felt more familiar to your chest-high-wall-shooter crowd. Story was presented effectively, but it made even less sense than in ME1. Many character interactions were quite unnatural – like Ashley/Kaidan and Liara acting all hostile/cold all of sudden. Lots of fanservice was introduced, in terms of suddenly being able to hump all the aliens.

Most of the above was due to Bioware listening to fans, apparently. I’d rather they didn’t.

• Longtime Listener says:

The Bioware forums, never have I seen such a hive of scum and yaoi fangirls.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Perhaps they stopped listening to the “fans” after all the shit flinging and threatening to stalk and kill BW developers children and other lovely stuff. Perhaps the BW forums is now used as a filter to hold the people they shouldn’t listen to.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Interesting. I really enjoyed ME1 – it was my favourite game of all time – until ME2 came out.

I lost my ME1 endgame save, so had to go back to ME1. And I really struggled without after playing ME2. The combat (vanguard charge!), inventory (no more ridiculous fiddling), lack of Mako (turns out I wasn’t much of a Mako fan) and better loading times (elevators, I look at you) etc put ME 2 out in front for me.

And just to clarify: Vanguard Charge.

• killias2 says:

I actually beat ME1 and enjoyed it a lot, but I stopped playing ME2 halfway through. There were unambiguous improvements, definitely, but they streamlined too much of the game away. I also thought the story was a lot weaker, with almost all of the focus being on mediocre sub-plots.

I’m not shitting on BW overall. Just complicating the story a bit.

• Enkinan says:

I’m with you, same thing happened for me.

• TimePointFive says:

Same exact experience I had.

• gi_ty says:

Same for me as well. I really enjoy ME1 and played it straight through and all the side quests I could find. When it came to ME2 I just got really bored with it. It still sits unfinished on my hard drive with like 7 hours on it. As far as DA O and this new one, I had the misfortune of playing the original on a xbox and it was a inferior experience to what i saw my friend doing on his pc. That being said it does seem it could be really great as long as it doesnt stray to far into the streamlined/easier game play.

10. ecat says:

I can’t watch all of it right now but the start looked familiar… Yes, I watched this one a couple of months ago

From memory I don’t think I was too impressed.

11. InternetBatman says:

It looks like an MMO. That’s not good or bad in it’s own right, but it means that if it works (a big if), it’ll scratch an entirely different itch. I’m far more excited for Project Eternity.

12. Rizlar says:

Any news on not making the player character look like a complete dork?

13. bladedsmoke says:

That video makes it look like an action RPG with too much action and not enough RPG. I’ll reserve judgment until the reviews come in, though.

• RobinOttens says:

“In Dragon Age Inquisition there will be a lot of fighting. Conflict is really the heart and soul of the game”

Yeah, let’s hope that’s just expo hyperbole. I mean, the other games had lots of combat as well, but at least in Origins the balance between that and the talky bits was 50-50.

Inquisition looks OK enough otherwise.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Aha.. haha. Well, one can always hope, but I wouldn’t expect them to mean any meaningful conflict resolution outside of combat.

14. karthink says:

How do I feel about DA: Inquisition?

Very good.

It will have the usual Bioware-isms, the internalized ones that no one talks about. Such as how you only get to make decisions in dialog menus and not, you know, by doing things. Such as how every decision will be unsubtly signposted so the player knows she’s traveling down one of three carefully authored branches, and will be full of imposed gravitas and hamfisted ethical quandaries. Such as the usual disconnect between Bioware sanctioned canonical deaths and the ones that the player effects in combat. And such as the now near-total segregation between the narrative bits and the gamey bits, especially after ME3′s “narrative mode”.

And then there’s the dialog wheel: Good for offering binary choices and cinematic moments, terrible for actual player expression or role-playing.

But this video shows they’re working on rectifying at least some of these things. And it looks great. So yeah, good.

• Orija says:

You forgot to mention the perfunctory nature of the romance that culminates in a scene of people rutting in their underwear.

• Yosharian says:

It’s not the rutting that is the problem, but the embarassing dialogue that usually precedes it.

• karthink says:

I did not forget them. I was talking about Bioware’s tendencies that few players spare any thought to because we’re conditioned to them, not the evident, egregious and embarrassing missteps they continue to repeat game after game. Besides, the romances are not an endemic problem in their games’ structures, the way the things I mentioned are. The fact that they do camaraderie really well proves this.

• Yosharian says:

Note that the dialog wheel seen in the clip is not colour-coded like in the previous game. Hopefully that is an indicator that they have thought harder about dialogue choices in this game.

• karthink says:

Naw, the problem with Bioware’s dialog wheel is that it only allows you to (i) respond to questions, and (ii) seek exposition.

There is no way to, say, express an opinion. I don’t think this is a failing of the wheel, just the way they’re using it. There’s nothing there for someone looking to roleplay a character. (Compare)

The ability to step into the shoes of a character completely different from me is something only RPGs offer (pen & paper, tabletop or videogames). But what Bioware’s been making are indulgent fantasies, first and foremost.

I believe that when it’s done right, an RPG can help the player self-actualize and explore their psyches. (Laugh if you want. I’ve played PS:T. I really, strongly believe this.)

• Mad Hamish says:

But the people have spoken I’m afraid and they need voices. Expensive voices.

• Reapy says:

Interesting, when I saw the ME conversation wheel I immediately thought all RPGs should use it forever more. The problem with dialog trees for me is you basically are playing guess the author intent when selecting an option. I find it way more immersion breaking to get into those dialog loops (let me ask you about the Iron Guards, Ok. 1. Where do they come from? 2. Why are they Iron??? 3. That’s enough about the guards. ) After you cycle through each question you can accidentally fall back into those loops, it is just very weird.

The other is, what really honestly is the consequence of choosing an option? There is a screen shot with 15 different choices, great what do they all do or change in the game? There may be 15 options (which slows down the pace as you read and reread the options to choose a response, also breaking immersion.) but perhaps only 3 or 4 effective outcomes. I don’t really care if they have 3 dialog options that map down to one outcome, I would just prefer to select my general reaction my character will have, not be surprised by the outcome, and enjoy ‘new’ dialog spoken by my character rather than having read all the branching trees.

Anyway, maybe I’m a wierd RPG player, but I’ve generally not has as much fun in one of them post KOTOR basically when they went console and behind the back 3d. I much prefer stronger sandbox style worlds like mount & blade for building a character and roleplaying. Ultimately NPC reactions aren’t going to be that satisfying to me, and for all the personality they may have in a dialog sequence, when the combat engine takes over, all of that is thrown out.

I’ll probably try DA Inquisition even though I haven’t played an RPG in a while, the world, scale, and character animations just look so pretty it seems to be a waste to pass up on it. The tactic fast forward/slow down sorta thing looks like it could be a lot of fun to boot.

Still, eh, there have been few RPGs where the story has ever gripped me, but more has been exploration and combat being fun and challenging that I have liked.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

It’s a genuine relief every time somebody else mentions something like this, because I do occasionally worry that I’m the only person who cares about these things.

There are so many cargo cult-ish assumptions about “video games” and “RPGs” in general that tend to go completely unexamined, and BioWare is a particularly amusing offender with DA2′s bizarrely streamlined fetch quests and junk items.

• Rizlar says:

What concerns me is the ‘save wounded’ or ‘burn down entire village because you are a dick’ choice. These sorts of decisions would be so much more interesting if the outcomes and morality involved were ambiguous. At the moment Inquisition seems like more of the old good choice/bad choice routine.

• TheBarringGaffner says:

Don’t leave out the generic plot and setting, and the same one-note cast that’s been in every Bioware game since Baldur’s Gate.

• souroldlemon says:

omg karthink uses effect as a verb correctly. Never seen that before on the webs.

15. Yosharian says:

The game looks so much better than DA2 right now it’s just a complete joke how many people are making stupid comparisons with that game.

That said, I’m not sold completely based on what I’ve seen so far. I am cautiously optimistic. I’m expecting a dumber game than DA:O, for sure, but as long as the specific complaints from DA2 have been dealt with, it’ll be an enjoyable game.

Bioware isn’t the classic developer it once was, but it’s still capable of making enjoyable RPGs. The main thing I hope is that they learnt some harsh lessons from ME3, because that game was a real fucking mess, worse than DA2 even.

Specific comments:

1) Already mentioned this, but the dialogue wheel looks much better, it’s still binary choices and probably often illusory ones at that, but they’ve gotten rid of ‘this is the smiley jokey choice! this is the big tough guy choice! this is good guy choice’ bullshit that plagued DA2. Looks good so far.

2) Open world style looks fricking _awesome_, and I am loving the use of seamless transitions; remains to be seen whether those seamless transitions will be the exception rather than the norm, but regardless that’s something I’ve been wanting to see in RPGs for a long time. Time to get rid of those godamn load screens, people.

3) Combat looks very ‘heavy’ and chunky, and the way the main character moves is excellent. Overall very impressed with the animations and character ‘tone’. Tactical view looks ok but will it be designed-around or bolted-on? Time will tell.

4) Questing looks very hands-off but whether this will turn out to be empty promises is another matter. For the moment, looks great. They need to go with the advances Skyrim made, and improve further. And obviously make the quests not suck balls in the character and writing department, since we’re talking about Skyrim.

5) Total control over equipment and appearance of main character AND teammates? Can I get a hell yes? Really excited about that.

• takfar says:

The very first thing the developer says in the video is a comparison to DA2. It just can’t be avoided. DA2 was an all-time low point for Bioware, and they know it, and they need to convince players that the series is moving back on track.

Me, I *might* buy the new DA, but only if it’s well reviewed by serious players, and then again only at a discount, maybe a couple years down the line. I’m in no hurry to give Bioware any of my money.

• Yosharian says:

When I said ‘stupid comparisons’ I mean stuff like ‘This looks more dumbed down than DA2′. Obviously _comparisons_ will be made; it’s stupid ones that irritate me.

• Cinek says:

“The game looks so much better than DA2 right now” – I’m yet to see that cause combat in this video looks very much like DA2 with pimp-up graphics.

• mouton says:

” I’m expecting a dumber game than DA:O

Eh, while DA:O wasn’t dumb per se, It wasn’t exactly intelligent either, past some brilliant companion dialogue. It does seem like you are overly glorifying the earlier game here. It reminds me how, after ME3 came out, all of sudden people started saying how great and intelligent and better the story in ME1 was, even though it was practically the same.

• tormos says:

Personally, I always thought that the stories in ME followed a fairly linear decline, with the exception of the end of ME3 which fell off the bottom of the scale

• Longtime Listener says:

Mass Effect’s writing was always terrible. I’m still amazed people were surprised by the ending. The instant they introduced Precursors I could have told you the rest of the entire story. It’s the most rote, predictable and downright boring kind of sci-fi you can get.

Why couldn’t we get Anachranox as a trilogy instead. That was good sci-fi writing. High concept, quirky off beat tone, surreal settings and characters not written to be romanceable.

• MichaelGC says:

Possible giant memory-fail, but: who are the Precursors?

• Stellar Duck says:

Precursors? Isn’t that Halo?

Granted, I’ve never played Halo past half of the first game, but I seem think it’s from there.

As for Mass Effect, I quite liked the first one and when I finished it I was genuinely looking forward to them fixing the flaws and making the next one better. Instead they made it worse all round and I honestly have no idea why I bought the third one. It was even worse. Every step of the way they got worse.

When the end came I was just glad to be rid of it, finally.

• Longtime Listener says:

Its a catch all term for a trope that has now been driven in to the floor. Unfortunately Mass Effect is probably one of the dullest interpretations I’ve seen though I have to admit at least admiring the fact it manages to have all three of the cliche endings . http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Precursors

A studio with free access to EA’s money hose really should have no excuse for such bland writing.

• mouton says:

Actually, Precursors were one of the few things that really made sense in ME, with all that cycle of genocide and stuff. And I did like how they were revealed to be quite non-pacifist in ME3.

• mouton says:

While I like the premise of ME games – the inevitability of AI singularity – ME1 story made no sense at all and was as bad as ME3 in most respects.

Both have you pursue magical alien device starting with the letter C. Even better, while C-thing in ME3 might make some sense by altering the parameters of that other C-thing that everybody hates, the Conduit in ME1 made no sense whatsoever. I mean, it allowed Saren to get into the Citadel. Great. That’s something he could have done unopposed as a Spectre. But he started killing people left and right. Why? So he could get into the Citadel, via a portal half a galaxy away. Oh okay.

• Yosharian says:

ME1 was about dropping onto planets and exploring in your souped-up Tonka toy explorer-mobile. And tossing people into the air with psychic powers. And having sex with aliens. And shooting people in the face with high-tech sniper rifles. And going WOOOOSH into hyperspace like you’d always dreamed of doing as a kid in your very own space ship. When I think Mass Effect those are the things that made it great. The slightly-flat-in-places story isn’t the point of ME, really. I think a lot of the problems of the ME series stemmed from those elements disappearing in favour of LOL, CHOICE and IMPROVED STORIEZ. Want to shoot people in the face with sniper rifles? Sorry, LIMITED AMMUNITION LOL. Want to play explorer-man in your Tonka toy? Sorry, we got rid of that, enjoy this new PLANET SCANNING LOL. Sex with aliens? Sorry no sex with aliens, unless you count romancing a space suit as an option. And the psychic WOOO PEOWWW BOOM BAJZONG got replaced with just one WOO and maybe a small BOOM, just made the whole thing less fun to have to sit in cover and wait for cooldowns.

• Yosharian says:

Oh I agree with all that, I was quite disappointed with DA:O originally when it came out. I’ve grown to like it more since then, and I’ve completed the game about 3 times with three completely different characters. It’s a good game, not a ground-breaking, epic follow-up to the BG series or anything, but a good game nevertheless.

DA2 was pretty mediocre by comparison.

ME1 is a bit more contentious; I think ME1 did a hell of a lot of things really well, even if it did have some glaring flaws.

• brassdragon says:

I think Bioware’s forté is setting up interesting situations and dramatic premises… and their great downfall is making those setups pay off.

One reason players look back fondly on the narratives of earlier installments is because their imagination could still fill lots of blanks e.g. ‘where do the Dark Spawn come from?’, ‘Who is Flemeth?’, ‘Why couldn’t the Protheans stop the cycle?’, ‘What is the impact of Shepard being resurrected?’, ‘What’s the origin of the Reapers?’ etc.

Maybe the disappointment comes from the actual answers to those tantalizing questions often being half-hearted, inconsistent, poorly thought-out or glossed over.

There is something to be said for a writing team deliberately plotting themselves into a narrative corner and then writing their way out with creativity and lateral thinking… As I understand it, that’s how most of Breaking Bad was written. But for every Breaking Bad, there is a Lost or Battlestar Galactica.

And although Bioware delivered in the past with twists like Revan and the Glorious Strategist, I think most of the follow-throughs in both Dragon Age and Mass Effect have been exceedingly weak, which leads to the perception of early parts being ‘better’ in terms of plotting.

• Wulfram says:

I don’t think they’ve got rid of the tone icons (smily face etc), it’s just that the only dialogue choice we’ve seen so far has been a “choice” wheel rather than a “tone” wheel. The choice wheel never had those icons.

Also, I don’t think the companion’s look will be totally under player control. They’ll change based on what you put on them, but it’ll reflect their style.

16. Keymonk says:

I hope they include a salute button so you can return it when all those polite people salute you. Anything else is just rude.

17. Gap Gen says:

Hurray for more “getting your dragonage on” jokes.

18. Wulfram says:

I worry about the exploration focus in DAI, because I don’t like what exploration tends to mean in RPGs.

What we’ve heard of the story makes me think they’ve given up on trying to do anything except the most standard fantasy plot. Which may not be a terrible thing – DAO was pretty standard plot wise – but isn’t the lesson I’d wanted them to learn from their latest games.

19. kyrieee says:

Seems awfully sunny for how much rain there is

20. Zaxwerks says:

Well it looks like another game where they will have had to hobble gameplay features to accommodate the limitations of gamepad controllers… oh joy… I only wish it was economically viable for companies to be able to produce a fully featured PC game first with ultra high resolution graphics and proper use of our 105 keys and mouse before then hobbling features for consoles, rather than doing it the other way around.

21. Keyrock says:

grumble grumble Dragon Age 2 grumble grumble

The combat looks a lot less MMO-ish than the last entry, which is good. I also like how the character leaned to one side and put his hand down occasionally when running along uneven ground, which is a nice touch. The controls looks very much controller-ified. Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Also, where the fuck is mah Jade Empire 2, BioWare?

22. Laurentius says:

Looks interesting but seriously I like cRPGs nevertheless for all possible variations ( or tbh rather lack of them) I feel tired with all present fantasy settings. I would love cRPG more or less set in contemporary time without obvious goal of saving the world.

23. RakeShark says:

I actually prefer that my first look is through a shakey-cam, that way the graphics and the 7.1 surround aren’t the wow-wee-wow focus of the presentation. So what I saw:

- Hot-spots on flowers. Seems they’re going more for the Witcher style of interactive flora than Skyrim style, which for gameplay purposes is fine but it looks like the flowers stick out like a sore thumb in the “LOOT ME!” sense, where as with other games they were more a part of the background.
    - The main dialogue choice prompts seemed very useless in terms of decision-making, with the only information about those choices being the footnoted “Defend Keep, Leave Wounded”. Why have two lines of information when one will do?
    - The small animation touches of climbing up a hill and walking the side of a steep grade were nice. Though the mud-footed strained walking seemed strangely out of place on a rock/sand beach. Though, I did see a few times where the player walked clean through shin-high fake rocks as opposed to stepping on/over them.
    - It seemed the particle effects aren’t persistent, footsteps will literally melt away right under where you’re standing (at 16:33 in the vid).
    - The tactical mode doesn’t leave a reference marker to where you just told your dudes and dudettes to go.
    - It seems strange, that “OVERKILL” moves make destructible scene clutter explode, but wide-swinging basic attacks go straight through the same destructible scenery without so much as rustle.
    - Seems a lot of effort has been put into the overt outward appearances of the different types of keeps, but didn’t seem to have a lot of smaller subtle touches to differentiate between the roles. The presenter said the captured keep was the military style, but it just seemed to be the enemy keep with less raging fires and rubble and more guards and iron spike bars.
    - The dragon animations are very nice. They do look like they move and act with weight.
    - Again destructible terrain point comes up, but the arena where it can happen is very obvious.

DA:I looks to be very themepark-ish with set pieces spread out over vast stretches of irrelevant geometry.

24. Drake Sigar says:

So here’s what I’ve noticed most about DA3 – it visually looks good. Both Dragon Age 1 & 2 are just a constant blur of cracked muddy brown, and DA2 seems to strip so much detail from environments and character models. What’s the first thing we see in the video? Lush green crossings. And there is more life in that desert than there is the forests of previous DA’s.

25. Incompleteness says:

I like how there’s Spanish voices coming from the rip in the fade near the cave.

26. Megakoresh says:

Pre-Alpha looks almost as good as Witcher 2. Almost.

Still not exactly sure how combat operates. It looks like action, but I know there is a pause-plan phase where you can issue orders. What I am interested in is how the action combat controls. I hope it’s something like Dark Souls mixed with a bit KoA: Reckoning.

Let’s see what will this game bring us. I never viewed DA2 as a bad game. It was rushed, but that was EA’s fault, not BioWare’s and DLCs for it were good. So far DA team hasn’t really done anything disappointing.

There’s only one thing that’s definitely concerning:
    Lack of humour. Humour was the best innovation of DA2 and an ingredient that is always missing from all the other BioWare games.

27. guygodbois00 says:

“WE ARE BEING TRICKED DON’T WATCH THIS VIDEO WHATEVER YOU DO”
    I will heed this warning.

28. Flea says:

Console movement, camera and combat, console graphics, console mechanics, gamepad controls… all the reasons why I’ll reserve my opinion for a PC gameplay video. It will be a whole different game.

29. TheMopeSquad says:

The most prominent thing that I’m seeing here is that it looks like a bunch of other games that are not Dragon Age. Surprisingly not a bad thing because the series had very little going for it in the first place.

30. kud13 says:

Looks interesting enough. I’m not the greatest fan on Bioware (putting it lightly: i’m yet to finish a Bioware game), but this certainly looks intriguing in some aspects, at least.

31. Goringsly says:

Some of these armor sets are looking more like interesting rock formations rather that anything wearable. I wish the designers would borrow a little bit more from history to make things look less silly. Maybe not to that extent that the Witcher series does, but just a little bit.

32. Astalnar says:

Is this really Dragon Age? You sure? I mean, are you really, really sure? Everything looks so fresh, dare a say vividly green, and lush. Everything is so bright. I love bright.

33. plugav says:

I knew it! I knew that Finland was a ruse!

34. noodlecake says:

I enjoyed both. I thought 2 was much more daring and less generic in lots of ways with what it attempted to do, despite it’s flaws. Definitely keeping my eye on this. :)

35. 2late2die says:

I’m gonna keep this short.
    DA3 looks promising.
    It’s sad that things like “full weapons/armour control over your and other characters” is now a feature that needs highlighting as opposed to a given.
    W3 is probably gonna be better, if only because Witcher games have more mature stories and characters, and because CDP clearly is making a wide spanning game. With that being said I see no reason why I couldn’t enjoy both games.

• kud13 says:

this.
      And Dark Souls 2, and Project Eternity.

There’s a ton of major RPGs coming out in 2014, everyone should find something they like.

I like the idea of “your hero is one of an entire organization trying to save the world, as opposed to “unknown farmboy who is also the chosen one”, which is basically almost every other Bioware game to date.

It remains to be seen if Bioware can do proper choice and consequence this time.

• Reapy says:

I almost LOLed at that, and NOW YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE EVERY PARTY MEMBERS GEAR! TOTAL CONTROL!!!!! I was like what the hell is this 1985? That it is a big feature?

• Zekiel says:

I always find this slightly funny – Greatest CRPG Ever Planescape Torment had extremely limited control over party member gear. Didn’t stop it from being Greatest CRPG Ever for a lot of people.

• Keymonk says:

If you think about it, you suddenly end up feeling a bit like a dictator of some sort. ‘No, don’t wear that, wear this.’ ‘But it looks stupid.’ ‘I said wear it. >:C’ ‘okay. :c’

36. Lemming says:

This is the game franchise that was supposed to evoke the Bioware glory days of Baldur’s Gate, right? Just checking.

• Nick says:

DA:O was, then that sold bucketloads so they decided the best thing to do was totally change it into a shitty ARPG with a crappy dialogue wheel and terrible characters/writing.

• Reapy says:

When I read about the sale of EA to bioware I basically was saying R.I.P. bioware, and I still hold to that. EA influences had its tendrils snaking throughout DA:O (RPG Man that demands money to continue on) and basically then drove it into where it is now.

• Zekiel says:

It was the obvious thing to do. All the hardcore RPG fans who loved DAO would buy it anyway, but think of all those God of War fans out there! Won’t someone make an RPG for them and their precious spending power?

And so DA2 was created.

• brassdragon says:

One of my key issues with Bioware is this penchant for ‘me too’-design.

Instead of doing their own thing (i.e. deep, epic roleplaying games for nerds), they get ‘inspired’ by other successful titles, whether it’s Gears of War or Dark Souls or Skyrim or World of Warcraft etc.

They really need to find (or regain, depending on your point of view) their own mojo.

• Lemming says:

I think the mojo is already working for inXile and Obsidian.

37. PopeRatzo says:

Q4 2014.

That receding point on the horizon where all the best games exist.

Every game you want will be released in Q4 2014.

38. C0llic says:

Not one thread of Python quotes?

I’m impressed at RPS’s restraint, but also secretly saddened.

39. icemonkey says:

Wow, to be honest im absolutely blown away, this is going to crush Skyrim in terms of fun gameplay and of course DRAGONS.

The graphical prowess on display here is phenomenal, the amazing particle effects, the dynamic lighting on spells, flaming swords, they even cast multiple shadows, the sub surface scattering through the dragons wings at the end got me too. The animation here is so good, its the first game ive seen that acknowledges inclines when characters and even dragons are walking on them an interacting with them. im nerding all over the place here. I need this.

Not only graphically but in terms of gameplay this looked amazing , i cant wait to get my hands on it, the real time and tactical combat looks fantastic, i do hope they bring finishing moves back though.

40. Hypnotron says:

This game looks extremely repetitive, boring and uninspired to me. Run around slashing brain dead NPC monsters from scene to scene? The strategy view also looks completely gimmicky. There’s no real point to it because the monsters are completely stupid.

The only thing that will sell this game is marketing and graphics. It’s all window dressing.

41. Rostbiff says:

This looks like an upgrade from Da 2, but I hope they remove levelscaling and add monsters that can wreck you if you try to defeat them too early in the game, it makes you tread with more caution. It really puts me off killing a dragon at level 1 ala Skyrim/Da2.

42. bar10dr says:

Let me just say that I will not be pre-ordering this game then, I’ll wait a month until the brave userbase who actually trust bioware to make a good game these days to come to their conclusion, and then I’ll decide to get it or not. My guess? Its going to be another cakewalk movie set made for consoles, I feel I have to set my expectations very low in the hopes of being proven wrong.

43. Stark464 says:

Its hard to tell what this version of the game build is. Is it a vertical slice? Is it a representation of what they hope is the final product, but still not fully formed in some areas? I like the look of what they’re going for, but I really don’t like that ‘wildly slashing at enemies who don’t even react to being hit but just lose a bit of health’. Hopefully they’ll implement some sort of mechanic that makes hitting stuff with a big flaming sword, look like it.

The Witcher 3 is focused a lot on combat, but that is seemingly to be more realistic and robust (more sword-fighting animations, target certain parts of enemies etc. Half the people at CDP actually do sword-fighting apparently.) But again, I don’t get to be privy to ‘pre-alpha builds’ that often so I can’t tell how reflective this is. I’m hoping just the graphics and core features.

44. Ninja Dodo says:

Is it weird that this is mostly exciting to me as a glimpse of what will be in store for Mass Effect 4? Dragon Age always seemed more interesting to me on paper than in practice (seeing it played, that is). I heard many a good thing about the first one, but could never get over the apparent blandness of the setting enough to try it myself. Even with the greatest quests it’s hard for me to get into a game if I don’t like the world. Same with much of Elder Scrolls (particularly Oblivion).

Dragons combat looks like it could be seriously good though. I like the tweaks to the dialogue system and animation/environment interaction as well compared to earlier Bioware outings.

45. 2helix4u says:

My first impressions are it looks like Old Republic in the frostbite engine. The problem is the flashier you make the animations the more obvious it is that the fights are just draining numbers from a massive sink of hitpoints that stumbles around then makes a linear melee attack. The nice animations make me want it to just go full God of War or Mount and Blade and have actual combat. Dark Souls is a great compromise between the two, The bigger environments have the same SWTOR look where its either narrow canyons with single paths or open spaces with nothing happening.

46. pipedream says:

It looks really impressive! I hope the story and gameplay matches the quality of the visuals.

Comment on this story