Path of Exile Adds New Content, Expansion Coming In March

By Graham Smith on November 12th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Path of Exile, aside from being the name of my freelance career thus far, is a free-to-play action-RPG which Adam liked a lot even in its early beta stages. It came out of beta just a few weeks ago, but its developers are already outlining the next four months of post-release patches leading up to the first expansion in March.

A video explaining the additions of the first patch, 1.0.1, is below.

Most of the newly added content is there for everyone, but there’s a new microtransactional dance animation. Buy me a drink sometime and you can see my microtransactional dance animation.

Major Content/Features:

• Added support for the Descent: Champions race events and Race Season Five.
  • Added a new Dexterity support gem – Enhance: This is a world-drop-only gem with three levels that only performs its function at level two and above.
  • Added a new Strength skill gem – Purity of Fire: Casts an aura that grants fire resistance to you and your allies. Higher levels increase maximum fire resistance.
  • Added a new Dexterity skill gem – Purity of Ice: Casts an aura that grants cold resistance to you and your allies. Higher levels increase maximum cold resistance.
  • Added a new Intelligence skill gem – Purity of Lightning: Casts an aura that grants lightning resistance to you and your allies. Higher levels increase maximum lightning resistance.
  • The new aura gems are available to certain classes from the “Intruders in Black” quest and to other classes from the “A Fixture of Fate” quest (both in normal difficulty).
  • Added four new Unique items, all of which were designed by supporters.
  • Added three new cosmetic microtransactions: Golden Spectral Throw, Discipline Force Field Effect and Scion Dance Animation.
  • Two new Achievements have been added: Capture the Flag and Zombie Horde
  • A checkbox has been added to allow Guild Chat to be hidden.
  • New art has been added for Endurance, Power and Frenzy charges.
  • Eight new vendor recipes have been added in two groups of four, including ones for changing which bandit quest reward you chose.
  • To change your bandit quest reward, use the book that you receive from the recipe in the appropriate difficulty. If you had Eramir’s reward, you will need a skill point available to change away from it.
  • When race prizes are awarded in Race Season Five onwards, the remove-only stash tab they go to can be accessed from any non-event league. You cannot access it in the first two weeks of a ladder. This means that your race prizes can be removed from the tab in Domination or Nemesis (but can’t be put back in). When the next four month leagues start, the prizes will not be available in the first two weeks (to keep the early race fair).

Check out the full list of patch notes over on the official forum.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. nrvsNRG says:

Had a long break after closed/open beta but this is basically all ive been playing since it went live.
    Great first patch (the only thing they’ve really nerfed is a gem I never really used) so I’m pretty happy with things and they will only get better I’m sure.

2. Fattsanta says:

Had a good stint with it when it launched, kind of bored now. Maybe this will spice things up.

3. boats says:

This is my current game of choice when I want a 30-60 minute burst of the clickies.

Faldrath says:

Let me plug our RPS guild in there, Rock, Paper, Exile. If you want an invite, send me a message (I’m “Faldrath” there as well).

Still hoping RPS will do a WIT – after all the attention D3 and Torchlight 2 got, it feels only fair. Especially since PoE is one of the few good stories out there about F2P done right.

daphne says:

Seconded on the WIT request. RPS knows full well that the typical F2P scumbaggery gets the page views, but I hope they take the long view on this one. These guys are doing the right thing with their model, and their approach needs to be supported and encouraged.

Also, this is the king of the ARPG genre. Its systems ensure that with each content update, be it minor or major, the possibilities offered by the game increase in an accelerating fashion. Some might dispute that status now. None will do so in two years.

• frightlever says:

Trouble with a WIT is that PoE takes a while to get your head around. You think you’re playing D2, and then you realise that you really aren’t. It’s pretty deep, right? Whereas D 3 (can I even put those two next to each other?) is going to play the same for each character class on each run-through, PoE allows for a ton of different builds.

People who want to stick with one character they can re-build as necessary are going to struggle with their philosophy.

5. SirKicksalot says:

The one thing PoE needs: more monster types. It sure feels like Snakes On A Planet Of The Apes out there. BORING.

• Mokinokaro says:

The animations need a bit of work too. Something just feels off about the combat due to them.

• Baines says:

It needs a lot of things. It feels a bit too much like a game made by fan committee in response to the backlash against a certain other series.

Like the art work in general. It doesn’t feel like a dark and gritty world so much as a game made to look “dark and gritty” because that was the big thing in the backlash against the D-game (and even Torchlight took heat from some for not being dark and gritty.) Even if it works against the gameplay at times.

Or the passive skill tree, that really seems like a committee-of-“hardcore”-fans response to games simplifying skill trees and attempting to make games where you didn’t spend your first three characters just figuring out how to make your fourth.

It has some nice ideas, but the end result feels hollow and soulless. And set in a world that I just don’t care about. (I think I made it through a grand total of one “conversation” or log entry, and even that I zoned out of almost immediately. The world just isn’t interesting to me, and all the thankfully optional long conversations don’t make it any more interesting.)

• drinniol says:

Uh, I figured out the passive tree with my first character, it’s not that hard unless you randomly choose skills that are all over the place.

I’m with you on the story, though. I would have read it if they made it so you can bring the full text up with a click but that skips it, and listening to the painful voiceover isn’t gonna cut it when the smash smash action is so compelling.

• Baines says:

The passive tree isn’t bad, but it is made to look more complicated than it actually is.

The odds of “messing up” a build also vary by class. I found the witch to be fairly straightforward. The archer girl was in comparison more complicated. The big fighter guy almost requires you choose a weapon type to focus on before you necessarily have really felt out the weapons, much less know what the better late-game gear will be like.

The lack of a full-respec is a game extender. With only a few individual respec points, the odds are that you won’t be able to “fix” a build where you find you’ve spent points in an area that you later found to be sub-optimal. Instead you are expected to start a new character with your new knowledge. (I found the aversion to respec potions in Torchlight to be equally silly.)

• MattM says:

@Banes Its hard to satisfy both the pro-respec and the anti-respec crowds. I’m strongly pro-respec and the current system in PoE doesn’t really work for me. I’d like to switch from a minion focused witch to an elemental one with greater tankyness but 4 respec points isn’t nearly enough .

• Ich Will says:

@MattM – separate servers?

• MattM says:

Yeah, I’d be fine with that.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

I find people being anti-respec funny tbh. Giving people the choice doesn’t mean you HAVE to do it. Yet people will complain that they simplified the game when if they wanted to they could still level a new character and not use the damn respec. It’s floored logic at best.

6. boats says:

Why does the first paragraph of almost every article on this site feature the author talking about themselves? You guys and gals pick out good games and put them on my radar, but I always need to cross a moat of ego to get to the goodies.

• Smoof says:

It’s that self-deprecating humor I love so much about RPS and these Brits* in general.

*Though I know Graham is Scottish, so…sorry about that.

• Horg says:

The Scots are Brits. For now anyway.

• Ich Will says:

Line up a million Scots with a million barge-poles from Fort William to Inverness and we may be able to make a part of Scotland that is not British. I’m sure that’s how plate tectonics works.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Somebody missed the joke

• Waldkoenig says:

It’s because everyone on RPS is an alcoholic. The words just flow better if you talk about your own adventures first. /sip

• luckystriker says:

“Path of Exile, aside from being the name of my freelance career thus far…” Seriously? This didn’t make you laugh? For me, this hilariously self-loathing gem was worth the price of admission, really.

• BooleanBob says:

I don’t really agree, but ‘moat of ego’ is a devastatingly brilliant phrase and deserves recognition. The well-meaning prolix everywhere will have been wincing at that one (I know I was).

7. Snakejuice says:

I’ve always been against or suspicious towards “free to play” models but I’m starting to think that a sensible and fair “free to play” model like PoE might be the best way to develop a game. If you want lots and lots of post release support and content it’s a very good incentive to keep developing as long as there is any intrest left in the game.

8. Brocktoon says:

Did they fix the map yet?

9. Velko says: