Retroesque FPS Wrack Puts Up Its Dukes

By Alec Meer on November 13th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

I'm wracking my brains for a funny caption here HAHAsnurk

“I write you in regards of the puppy Advert I want to run in your Office, Its an English Bulldog pup 10 weeks and 2days old puppy a male and I have him for adoption to any good person willing to Take proper cares of him show him love and give him a good home. I will like that the Ad is run for 3 weeks only. Gorgeous Male English Bulldog Pup for free Adoption to a good home where he will be proper taken care of. The Baby is only 10 weeks 2 days old, the puppy is absolutely gorgeous! beautiful markings, nice big head and chest, perfect tail and a personality that can’t be beat! Boss is Registered/registrable, Current vaccinations, Veterinarian examination, Health certificate, Health guarantee, Pedigree. Interested persons that can provide him a good home should please email me at (redacted) for more information about him.”

Sorry about that, I couldn’t think of anything new to say about jolly, ultraviolent, cel-shaded, Doom’n'Duke-esque FPS Wrack on top of what I wrote last year, so I thought I’d share some spam I was sent instead.

Sorry, yes, Wrack, which I first posted about last year. Here launch trailer here:

Looks pretty slick for what it is, but I suspect it may need to be a little more offbeat for my tastes. That said, after another visit to Binfinite’s uneven attempts to fuse the cerebral with the mindless, there is something refreshing about a game that basically says, “fuck it, bang bang bang ha ha!”

Wrack’s now hit beta stage, and marked that moment by launching on Steam Early Access. Beta in this case entails overhauled textures, effects and levels, so despite the retro thing it looks significantly spanglier than it did. That’s on top of existent draws including a level editor and a score by Doom composer Bobby Prince. $15 if you want to take a punt on it, and more info is here.

Also I should advise you that I’m almost certain that puppy I mentioned isn’t real, so please don’t ask me to put you in touch with the advertiser.

, , , .

1. empyrion says:

XIII anyone? Took a while for another game with this style to come along. This looks pretty good, fast-paced too.

• zeekthegeek says:

Borderlands?

• empyrion says:

That does look a little bit different though.

• JimboDeany says:

XIII was the first game that I thought of when I saw it and if it’s anywhere near as good as that then this should be a cracking game. I’m yet to see another game get the comic book feel of XIII with the little pop ups for head shots etc.

2. Eukatheude says:

“fuck it, bang bang bang ha ha!”

Yes, that’s my kind of game.

Anthile says:

That’s funny. Most of the spam I get these days is with a naughty sounding but nonsensical headline and a large quote from one of the works of the great Charles Dickens.

Fitzmogwai says:

A Sale of Two Titties?

RedViv says:

Regarding Our Mutual Friend, President Ogumbe Nrande

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Great Sexploitations?

• Scumbag says:

Oliver Twisted Genitals?

• whatfruit says:

David Cockerfield

Anthile says:

Sadly, none of the above. It actually looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/IyvG5vV.png

Gap Gen says:

Most of my spam now comes from a flatsharing site that keeps sending me emails despite the fact that I unsubscribed, deleted my account and emailed them directly asking them please to stop. I might write a script that emails them twice daily with the same message until they do something.

Bluerps says:

Most of my recent spam consisted of dozens of weird mails that had a random string as a subject and one to three other random strings as content. Most of the senders seemed to be random too.

I think I would prefer puppy spam.

4. LionsPhil says:

Dear “retro” game developers:

I’m very sorry you apparently could only afford broken old CRTs you found in skips during the ’90s. However, for the rest of us, that whole blurry, chromatic abberation thing you’re doing? Not nostalgic, just annoying. Hurts the eyes. Stop spending processing power making things look deliberately worse than they did.

• Carnevil says:

I think that’s just an effect the guy used on the trailer. The game doesn’t normally have that effect. See? :)

Warm regards,
      “Retro” game developer

• Eonfge says:

He Carnevil,

Cool to see how the project is taking up shape. It’s a fun and challenging game and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Eonfge

Revisor says:

Please explain, why
        1) you outsourced the trailer to someone who doesn’t understand your game
        2) released the trailer even if you don’t like the music (YT comments) or the effect.

• Carnevil says:

Certainly!

1). He gets it. He had just been using a certain filter on the character screens to make them look better, and by mistake it got applied to all the footage. It was going to be removed, but some personal stuff went down at the last minute and it sort of fell through the cracks.

2). We were waiting for some new stuff to come in, but it didn’t make it in time. We went with the best thing we had available that hadn’t been used in a trailer before.

In a perfect would, everything would have been 100% optimal, but sadly that’s not the world we live in. We’re doing the best we can, and I’m still very pleased with the result!

@Eonfge: Thank you! :D

• LionsPhil says:

Well thank goodness for that. Now confiscate their copy of Adobe After Effects. ;)

• Viroso says:

Ah, let’s stop calling these FPS games retro.

The looks aren’t retro, neither is the music, as a whole the game’s aesthetic is not retro. Then there’s the gameplay, but I think it’d be better if we didn’t call fast paced rocket jumping secret finding FPS retro.

Let’s just call it something like awesome or perhaps even “arcade” even though the name doesn’t make sense for the genre. Or maybe we could even bring back the name “Doom clone”.

• Ravey says:

90′s shooters themselves aren’t retro – retro is imitation of a style that is no longer predominant.

• Viroso says:

Yeah I understand that, but I prefer some other term for this sort of FPS action.

• LionsPhil says:

This one has a rocket-jump in the trailer, albeit a slow and careful one, so it’s at least more worthy of the monkier than, say, Hard Reset.

• Carnevil says:

I agree with you 100%!

We didn’t set out to make a throwback, or “retro” game trying to appeal to nostalgia. We made this game because we believe it’s a fantastic genre of game that’s underrepresented and can stand on its own two feet today. Our flowchart for doing things isn’t “Did Doom do it? YES/NO”… rather, it’s “Is this fun right now, and does this make sense in the context of our game?”.

We don’t view it as “retro” or anything. We just view it as a different genre of game – an arcade-style FPS! We could care less whether or not it’s been awhile since someone made this type of game (and I would argue that there’s never been a game really like this). The important thing is that this is a fun game right now that fun in its own right – not because “Hey guys, remember Doom? Eh?!”

5. Jekhar says:

So, what does this bring to the table to justifiy a buy over just using existing freeware like Nexuiz or Sauerbraten/Cube 2?

• Carnevil says:

It’s a completely different genre. Those are multiplayer arena shooters (though I know Cube 2 does have single player), whereas this is a single player arcade-style shooter. It’s got a lot of arcade-style elements like kill chains, checkpoints, boss battled (inspired by games like Castlevania), and so on. I know it’s not unique to Wrack, but we’re trying to have a pretty robust modding scene too, complete with Steam Workshop, and an in-game “Featured Maps” system that lets you play showcased maps through our website right from inside Wrack itself.

• Jekhar says:

Oh, ok. Somehow i just assumed this was another arena romp. Thanks for the clarification!

• The Random One says:

How about Gun Godz? How does it compare?

• Dave Tosser says:

This one isn’t set on Venus with a hip-hop soundtrack. Also, you can jump.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when developers come here and post about their games. (Assuming it’s not an elaborate ruse of course. ;) ) And for me at least, things like that typically kick a game like this up from “That’s interesting.” to “Well! That’s Interesting!” if you know what I mean. :3

• Carnevil says:

Yes, I do! :) I just want to be able to clear up any questions people have and all that. I know it’s a new game that most people have never heard of, so there are bound to be questions/misconceptions. The bottom line: we care! <3

6. John Connor says:

This looks good but the best of this genre is Brutal Doom, which makes Doom/2 a modern masterpiece.

If there was a mod that randomly generated missions for Brutal Doom and maybe some kind of leveling system ala Borderlands 2 it would be the only game I need for the rest of my life.

• tangoliber says:

You can use Oblige to randomly generate Doom missions, and Brutal Doom will work with it.

I disagree that Brutal Doom makes Doom/2 a modern masterpiece. Zdoom and GZdoom do. Brutal Doom is good for a laugh, but I’d say its a step down from vanilla Doom 2 gameplay with vertical aiming…which is still unsurpassed by any FPS in my opinion. Nothing else has that perfect combination of speed, projectile dodging, and level design as Doom 2 with a good source port and good community levels.

Also, I do wish someone would do a good randomized level, permadeath mod for Doom 2, as that would be all I need as well. There was ManDoom, but it didn’t really go far enough.

• Ravey says:

Doom is awesome as-is…the smooth animation mods look quite promising though!

7. diebroken says:

“… and a score by Doom composer Bobby Prince”

Sold. Now, time to prepare for the 20th anniversary…

8. TimEatsApples says:

The “More From the Web” box at the bottom of this article is full of adorable pictures of puppies instead of the usual tech news/celebrity gossip. Please apply puppy spam to all future articles so I can continue to be enchanted by them.

9. Metr13 says:

Looks awful, really.

10. Sigh says:

“Sorry about that, I couldn’t think of anything new to say about jolly, ultraviolent, cel-shaded, Doom’n’Duke-esque FPS Wrack on top of what I wrote last year, so I thought I’d share some spam I was sent instead.

Perhaps my lack of inspiration is because, between Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad and Blood Dragon, the whole faux-retro shooter joke might be getting old, perhaps it’s because I was woken up five times in the middle of the night by the cat (who wanted to use me as a heat source), or perhaps it’s because I’ve just discovered that after years of eating Walkers Smoky Bacon flavoured crisps safe in the knowledge that they were in fact vegetarian-friendly, they’ve recently added ‘dried pork shoulder’ to them. Much as that probably only means a token sprinkling of bone dust and blood-soaked sawdust from the abattoir floor, it’s hit me pretty hard.”

>>>>>

I should try this approach. The next time I have a slightly difficult night I am just going to stumble into work and send my boss some spam emails and call it a day.

11. brokeTM says:

Has this any relation to Warsow?

It sure does look like it..