Reset Wants Your Money, Offers Gameplay Tutorial

By Nathan Grayson on November 14th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

I have a theory: Reset is a prequel to Hard Reset, which is named as such because it's a lot more difficult since you're being shot at by robots all the time.

Reset is a snappy, apt title given its game’s time-rewinding proclivities, but at this point most of the Internet knows it simply as That Really Pretty Game With The Ultra-Sad Robot (Who Is Actually Not A Robot) Standing In The Rain And Each Piano Key Strikes Like A Glass-Shard Encrusted Dagger To My Tear Ducts – despite a recent trailer with a bit of puzzling. But are we looking at a truly excellent, moving experience, or just another case of Dead Island trailer syndrome? Well, we won’t really know until developer Theory Interactive has crowdfunded money coming out of all its wazoos, but it has offered a video tutorial to whet your appetite. See Reset in actual, non-cinematic action below.

It still looks pretty decent, I suppose, but the environment is actually quite bland and confined. But then, Reset is far from finished, and Theory’s gone to Indiegogo for a reason. The puzzle, meanwhile, was (I assume purposefully) quite basic, and while a few other games have used a similar single-player co-op mechanic before, there’s still tons of untapped potential in the idea.

Reset’s Indiegogo campaign – which is currently about a sixth of the way to its €65,000 goal – also offers a number of new details, including:

• Unique single player co-op mechanic with 33 individual puzzles to solve
  • Gorgeous 16 square km open world island to explore and get lost in
  • Smart, haunting but beautiful storyline
  • True next gen immersive PC experience enabled by in-house tech Praxis including:
    • Physically based multilayered materials
    • True HDR rendering
    • Volumetric lighting
    • Dynamic day and night cycles with accurate star positions
    • Dynamic weather effects including highly realistic cloud simulation, rain and fog with varying density
    • High quality multichannel audio

An open world? Mmmmmm. I very much like the sound of that and am now significantly less worried about the prospect of claustrophobic mousetrap environments. I’m more than happy to look at Reset’s sun-dappled, green-devoured world from a distance, but I’d much rather be able to reach out and touch it as well.

If all goes according to plan, Reset will be out sometime next year. I certainly hope it ends up playing as nicely as it looks. Do you plan on backing it?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gap Gen says:

With that music and the way he’s sitting, I imagined the trailer would begin “Hi guys, I’m Alpo Oksaharju from Theory, and today my wife ran over my dog.”

Nice trailer gimmick, though.

• LTK says:

He does look very resentful about having to present the game without having had any coffee.

2. MattMk1 says:

Hmm… Hope this is just a very rough proof of concept and not a reflection of how imaginative the finished game will be, because the idea of using time travel to solve a situation which would be better addressed by finding a box to stand on doesn’t especially grab me.

Portal got around a similar issue by a) having fairly smart puzzles, generally speaking and b) having a backstory which helped justify occasionally having to jump through illogical hoops.

• SillyWizard says:

Well, hang on. This was pretty clearly a “let’s show the concept at its absolutely most basic” video. They could do brilliant this with this, and it’s pretty evident to me that they’re working on it quite hard, so I’m inclined to be optimistic.

Making the player time his own movements and actions with potentially several looping instances of himself…oh man. It’s a wonderful idea!

3. Chizu says:

I certainly like the idea. This tutorial is obviously extremely basic, and I hope they come up with alot more ways to make use of your time powers.

It reminds me of the Clank sections from Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time, which had some fantastic puzzles later, and used a very similar mechanic, with you able to record several versions of your self to play back simultaneously to solve puzzles. I sure felt smart when I figured some of those out.

4. Viroso says:

It reminds me of Misadventures of PB Winterbottom. The core idea is awesome, but playing Misadventures I saw that in practice it isn’t as fun because it is prone involve a lot of re-doing and waiting. That happened in some levels of Braid that worked similarly, but in Braid it wasn’t so evident.

Maybe they’ll work it out in this game, but who knows.

5. Nixitur says:

But I don’t want to reset my wants money. =(

6. Megakoresh says:

This could be very cool puzzler if they add the speed element to it. Like for instance a ramp you have to slide down with obstacles on it that you can remove one at a time and then reset and try to slide such that you fit in time windows when older you removes the obstacles. Sort of predicting where the player will be after reset and creating combos to travel to the end objective faster. So the concern I suppose is that the game doesn’t appear to have any speed to it.

7. yhancik says:

I love how “Smart, haunting but beautiful storyline” is sneaked into the features list, among “co-op mechanic with 33 individual puzzles” and “True HDR rendering”.

8. Dermott says:

more about reset in german:

game looks like a promising puzzler!

9. SaVi says:

He thought of it afterwards, not beforehand. But I understand how to get confused by this stuff.

10. SillyWizard says:

I hope if your robut touches your other robut which is invading the time-stream a singularity occurs and game over.

11. GamesInquirer says:

Bland & confined? He clearly says it’s a test area to show people the reset system.

Not that it wasn’t obvious even if he hadn’t said that. We’ve seen some real gameplay.