Waaaah: Toddler Horror Among The Sleep Crawls Into 2014

By Nathan Grayson on November 15th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Among The Sleep – aka, the scary one wot has you playing as an impressively nimble baby – has proven to be quite an intriguing prospect. Between the extreme vulnerability inherent in playing as a squishy crymachine and the wealth of themes (imagination, attachment to parents, etc) it could explore, I’m definitely looking forward to seeing how far it toddles. Unfortunately, that won’t be happening too terribly soon, as Among The Sleep is snoozing right past its late 2013 release date, tossing and turning in the nightmare realm of development until spring 2014 instead.

Developer Krillbite explained that it’s been working very hard to craft a singular experience out of the diaper-clad first-person frightener’s many chapters, and that’s taken some time. A Kickstarter update (via Polygon) explained:

“The most important thing for us is to make the game as good as possible. Going forward this involves streamlining the game overall, adding detail, implementing voiceovers, localization, optimising the Oculus Rift implementation, improving menu & GUI, and lots’n lots of testing and bug fixing. In addition we still have to nail the launch details with distributors like Steam and GOG.”

“With that in mind, it looks as though Among the Sleep will be released early spring 2014!”

So then, patience until then. Don’t get too fussy about it, though. There’s a free demo available for all who’d like an (admittedly rough) idea of what the final game will be like. For those who’ve played, what do you think? Is the future of horror babies? Is that what the genre’s been missing all along?

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. chris1479 says:

Can someone please tell me how i track if someone has answered my comment?? I click on the profile and it’s useless, I can’t see any of the comments I made :(

• DrMcCoy says:

Is that even possible here? I thought it wasn’t.
      And I always hated how it’s not possible.

RPS, feature request: Subscribe to replies, subscribe to comment thread and subscribe to all comments in a post. Including getting the new comments send to my email address.

• chris1479 says:

Most sites just use Disqus which is really nice and easy to use. I can’t believe RPS doesn’t, Disqus would HUGELY improve the coherence and depth of discussion when people have time to mull things over and drop back into the conversation later on – before umpteen articles have already displaced it that day.

• Deathmaster says:

And other sites use fancy HTML5 , where RPS uses amazing .gifs. If you don’t like it, just leave.

• Low Life says:

I don’t know how customizable Disqus is, but I wouldn’t want a comment section with those horrible up- and downvote buttons.

• chris1479 says:

It doesn’t have to be Disqus it could be anything I don’t care, it’s just a shame to make lengthy posts and have them evaporate into the ether because you didn’t make a bookmark and then Ctrl-F them randomly to check if there are any responses.

• Viroso says:

I dislike Disqus and I think it’d be a huge improvement over the current comment section.

• aldo_14 says:

I always just Ctrl-F for my name.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

The right thing to do is integrate the posts with the forums, á lá Ars Technica.

• The Random One says:

Then I would finally be arsed to create a RPS forum account.

• BrainFlush says:

I was going to ask the same thing but I figured they just don’t have this option, and to me it is quite inexcusable. I like Disqus and the irrelevant up/down vote button which is a fun little side game when commenting.

Otherwise RPS needs to fix this as I am done posting. I have a life to live and bookmarking/refreshing the page to see if anyone responded is a fools errand. Not in 2013.

svendelmaus says:

It’s much more work to have an argument — but I’d argue for that being a feature, not a bug. :)

2. somnolentsurfer says:

This demo has the scariest washing machine I’ve ever seen in a game.

3. SooSiaal says:

Bummer, was really looking forward to this one

Jalan says:

Excellent, no doubt I’ll be completely strapped by year’s end anyway.

The similarity, loose as it is, this game has to Stuff of Legend has always had me hooked. If only there were some actual story teasers being rolled out.