War Thunder Tanks Next Month With Ground Forces Beta

By Graham Smith on November 15th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Little tank, all alone. What do you see?

Just as World of Warplanes takes flight, so War Thunder is crashing down to earth. In a good way. The free-to-play flight sim is launching a Ground Forces beta on December 4th, letting tank fanciers join the fight.

If you want to join the beta, it’s not as simple as signing up and hoping you get a place. Developers Gaijin Entertainment are assigning new challenges every day, and those who seem “most determined” by completing or attempting to complete those challenges will be allowed into the beta.

You can see today’s challenge here, and page is updated daily with your new orders. Here’s today’s:

Destroy the following number of enemy fighters:

Arcade — 30 fighters
History — 10 fighters
Full Real – 5 fighters

You can track your progress on the ‘Profile — Achievements — Special’ tab in the menu.

So far they all seem to involve shooting down lots of planes, which is fair enough, I guess. War Thunder is currently the 17th most played game on Steam. Warframe is at number 16. I can’t wait until Warface is on Steam and we finally get a three-way war-off.

In War Thunder’s case, there’s a good game lying under the ridiculous name. Gaijin are experienced flight simmers, responsible for the likes of Wings of Prey, and the game is pretty, fast-paced, and provides good competition for Wargaming.net’s World of Warplanes.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. derbefrier says:

Just recently got into this game. Lots of fun though the. F2P scheme leaves a little to be desired but its acceptable. Think I have been spoiled by path of exile in that regard. Still its a fantastic game and this will only make it that much sweeter.

2. mtomto says:

So is this a seperate game from Warthunder? :S
    …or is it tanks and planes on the same map? :D

Probably seperate, but still… I’d switch from WoT/WoWP to Warthunder if they could make it work together somehow.

• johnkillzyou says:

There will be crossplay in some modes I believe, and they will both function from the same launcher.

• WalkableBuffalo says:

WoT and WoWp are separate anyway so I don’t see how them working together is relevant. Not to mention that WoWp is pretty abysmal. There’s no reason to switch totally regardless, if you’ve invested time in WoT there’s no reason to abandon that and totally focus on WT

• mtomto says:

I’ve played WoT to death and have little interest in that anymore. I like WoWP, but if tanks and planes are together on the same map in WarThunder, then that would be a little more interesting. Just imagine taking out some pesky artillery with a stuka – that would be nice.

• ludde says:

Tanks and planes on the same map. Eventually ships as well I believe.

Have a look at this video for some early footage. Tanks on tanks at the start, and then planes on tanks about 11 minutes in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tQmJZ4tSg8

Gap Gen says:

I heard they were in talks with Findus to sponsor this game, although in the end they elected not to change the name to Ground Horses.

• Stiletto says:

They basicly neigh their way through the battlefield.

The workponies of any army!

4. Ephant says:

“most determined” my ass. I’m not going to grind stupid challenges (this one isn’t as bad as yesterday’s) for beta access. I really lost respect for Gaijin.

• SprintJack says:

Then you wouldn’t make a very good beta tester anyways, i guess.

• Koozer says:

It does seem like a pretty good solution to the problem of most of your ‘beta testers’ just casually trying your game a few times without writing a single report. Those with proven dedication to getting in would be more likely to be helpful in testing, even if it just means they play a lot and generate lots of juicy statistics to analyse.

5. Eightball says:

As a World of Tanker, I hope this game is good. Both because more tanks = more better, and because a little competition will hopefully make Wargaming up their game. I like World of Angry Houses a lot, but WG’s approach to balancing leaves much to be desired.

• DarkFenix says:

From what I’ve seen, if you’re after tanks, then stick with World of Tanks, WT has very little to offer in comparison. If planes are your thing, stick to WT because WoWP sucks.

6. Immelmann says:

“Whether Gaijin can similarly challenge World of Tanks, I don’t know, but tank combat tends to be just, well, better. Combat flight sims – especially of the somewhat arcade-y variety – tend to suffer because there’s not a lot of cover up in those skies. World of Tanks worked because you could hide behind buildings, snipe from high ledges, and basically play the game as Counter-Strike-with-treads.”

Not to sound rude, but I expect better than this from RPS. All this says is that you’ve no idea what you’re writing about. I’m more of a tank person too, but I understand that air combat is a completely different style. It’s not supposed to be about cover, it’s about outmaneuvering your opponent. This is like comparing pCars to NFSMW because ‘when how will you know where to go if a defined track isn’t laid out for you?’

• DarkFenix says:

You expect better than what? Opinions? This is a blog, not a news site.

And I agree in any case, outmaneuvering an enemy is rather one-dimensional as far as gameplay goes. Ground combat has significantly more variety and depth.

• SamC says:

>”outmaneuvering an enemy is rather one-dimensional”
        Heh, I chuckled a bit there, since it literally actually adds another dimension.
        But I also agree, some of the more interesting maps are more fantasy based, with crazy caves and arches to dive through and maneuver around. I get kind of a Crimson Skies vibe from some of those maps.

• Immelmann says:

Yes, but RPS typically maintains a certain standard of informed opinion, which this is not.

• Dominic White says:

Yeah, it’s… kinda badly written.

The tank combat looks so much more tank-ish than World of Tanks anyway, and the air combat is actually a flight sim with various assists put on at lower realism settings, unlike World Of Warplanes, which is basically WoT in the air, health-bars, ‘critical hits’ and all.

War Thunder just gets no respect from the PC gaming press. It’s kinda sad.

• zeekthegeek says:

Word. I can never go back to a WG.net game after playing WT (especially seeing the shitty opinions the WG.net staff put out there about gaming).