TowerFall Ascension Bringing Co-op, New Everything To PC

By Nathan Grayson on November 16th, 2013 at 3:00 pm.

That's they get for bringing a bow-and-arrow to an explosives and magic and wizards and cave fight.

True story: during IndieCade, I walked past Ouya’s tent, and a good 50 percent of it was taken up by massive TowerFall stations. They were facing out of the tent, obscuring the remainder of the tarnished wondercube’s lineup like some massive fun planet eclipsing a dying sun. The metaphor for the state of the platform, as you can probably tell from that simile, was palpable. But it’s OK because everything’s still amazing on PC, and we’re getting the biggest, best version TowerFall has to offer (along with PS4 or whatever I guess). TowerFall Ascension will offer a new co-op quest mode, 50 new levels, and countless new items. Sorry Ouya. Maybe don’t try to prevent huge audiences of people from playing games next time. Karma and all that.

(Admittedly, Ascension is coming to Ouya too – just three months after PC and PS4 for reasons.)

So yes, it’s the same game of human pincushion you knew and longed for from afar, but with a whole, whole lot more stuff. That said, one fairly major feature is still missing: online play. Maybe that’ll change down the line, but right now creator Matt Thorson doesn’t seem too in love with the idea.

“There won’t be any online at launch, sorry,” he tweeted. “It’s really meant to be played together with friends.”

Shame that, but it’s understandable. TowerFall is stupidly fun when played with friends/enemies/rival street gangs, and online would take away from some of the person-to-person purity of it.

TowerFall Ascension will rise from Ouya’s ashes in early 2014. Who’s got it in their crosshairs (which they’ve affixed to a bow-and-arrow for some reason)?

, , .

1. Greggh says:

This article sounds Ouya-envy XD

(jk, Ouya sucks, so there’s nothing to envy about it…)

2. epmode says:

I’ll never get tired of reading the comfy couch justification for a missing online mode. Sure, it may be better if your friend is in the same room but some of us don’t have that kind of opportunity anymore.

• mechabuddha says:

Whereas I hate playing with strangers, and never use online co-op for my games. That being said, I totally get where you’re coming from. Which is why options should be the standard, rather than online-only or couch-only. Let us do both!

• Yglorba says:

But online isn’t just for playing with strangers. Some of us have ended up in different states (or even countries) from the friends we’d like to be playing games with… or sometimes it’s just snowing or raining out and people want to get together to play a game without coming over.

• The Random One says:

My problem is that I don’t have two controllers (well, I do, but one of them is an off-brand USB PS2 controller that doesn’t sit well with most modern games) and I don’t have a couch in front of my PC so one of us has to sit in the uncomfortable office chair (usually me because I am a good host). Also I have no friends because I am an unlikeable arsehole.

• Monkeh says:

Adding local co-op is a lot less work than adding online co-op. For most games it would mean having to re-write huge parts of the coding, so basically devs will almost never add online multiplayer if they hadn’t planned on it from the start.

• Gnoupi says:

That’s the main reason. Adding local coop, it’s usually just another agent in your scene, controlled by another controller. Nothing you haven’t done already, in theory, in your game.

Adding online requires knowledge of network coding, techniques to handle lag, lost packets… you can’t just repeat the scene from far, you need to find an efficient way to synchronize both… A lot of factors, and a different skillset than the one required by making the rest of the game to begin with.

And that is, if you planned it to begin with. If you didn’t, then you might as well rewrite a large part of your engine, because you won’t be able to add it efficiently at this point. And since they planned to be a couch brawler for a console in the first place, it’s likely this wasn’t the case.

• Caiman says:

Yeah, I take that justification to mean “we couldn’t get it working over the internet satisfactorily”.

• Phasma Felis says:

If I wanted to play games with invisible assholes, I’d just play against the computer (that is, single-player). At least it won’t call me a fag.

3. Bobtree says:

Yet another game trailer that’s full of screen-shaking. It’s almost like they don’t want my money.

4. Siimon says:

Local coop? Shut up and take my money!

5. Rick Kolesar says:

I played this at PAX and it was the best 4 player experience I had in a long time. The game was worth it, but adding all this content is just icing on the cake! Can’t wait!

6. MellowKrogoth says:

It’s pretty stupid to harp on Ouya because they’re trying to secure exclusive titles… you know, like every console out there. I’ve never seen an equivalent agressive denunciation of Playstation/Wii/Xbox exclusives on RPS.

Ouya has enough defects and problems as it is, they should be enough material to criticize it without making some new ones up.

• jamesgecko says:

That’s definitely happened.. Exclusivity was brought up with at least Skulls of the Shogun and Braid, iirc.

• Premium User Badge RobF says:

Thing is, if you’re trying to position your console as an open alternative to the big players, you don’t emulate the worst parts of what the big players do. Which is precisely what Ouya have been doing with their rush to secure exclusives.

That they’re asking for longer exclusivity periods than the big players too. Well now.

• Bull0 says:

Nobody ‘made anything up’. It’s something Ouya are doing, and it sucks. Besides, this is far from the first article or first site to criticize it.