Major Lasers – SWTOR: Galactic Starfighter Videofied

By Nathan Grayson on November 18th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Did you know that there are ships in Star Wars? It’s true! I was under the impression that everyone just skywalked everywhere (I mean, why else would anybody name someone that?), but nope, space ships. They fire lasers, too – colorful bouquets of molten, flesh-searing doom. Delightful. It’s like a giant, often fatal rave up there, the raddest of space parties. Don’t believe me? Well then, you’ll just have to watch this trailer for Star Wars: The Old Republic: Galactic Starfighter: The Coloning.

See? Just like a rave. Anyway, Galactic Starfighter’s new and (hopefully) improved off-rails space combat will add multiple classes and roles to spice up 12 vs 12 battles.

Since SWTOR is F2P, this content will¬†eventually be available to all. First, though, subscribers – with all their filthy, filthy money – will be able to saddle up and start kerploding everything in sight on December 3rd. Next up, players with preferred status will join the fray on January 14th, and then finally – after pretending to leave you out in the cold, only to stick a foot in the door and mumble, “Awwww, come ‘ere you, but don’t let anyone know I did this” – Papa EA will open the floodgates to everyone else on February 4th.

So then, the unavoidable question: who’s still playing this? And for those of you who left for less space-y (or differently space-y) pastures, is ship combat – a largely new, potentially disconnected game mechanic – enough to rope you back in?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Blackcompany says:

I got all excited about this. Finally – a space combat game set in the Star Wars universe.

Then I realized its just an add-on, and that I would have to play their MMO in order to enjoy this.

Sorry. No thanks. I hope the SWTOR players enjoy it. I do. But the MMO just isn’t for me.

• bleeters says:

As far as I’m aware you can play this from level 1. Which is kind of strange, but I suppose it does make it plausible to just never do anything but this if you so desire.

• VileThings says:

Just because it’s not common doesn’t make it strange. I actually like when online games give you a choice. GW2 did it with structured PvP, which you can access from the get go, without leveling up your toon first. Then again, they are not dependent on subscriptions.

• huldu says:

The problem is that those space fights are so boring and repetitive. You’d claw your eyes out after just a couple of hours.

• Exxar says:

This is not the on-the-rails PvE space combat already in the game. These are new, off-the rails PvP 12v12 space fights. So it shouldn’t be boring and repetitive unless you usually find PvP to be like that.

• jrodman says:

I do, but many will not. I wish them luck in their coloning.

• Awesumo says:

As I remember it the space game gradually unlocked as you levelled – so you need a max level char.

• Iskariot says:

We desperately need a new -Xwing or Tie-Fighter game, preferably an open space sim (like Elite) but in a Star Wars universe. I would pay big bucks for that, if it delivered quality-wise.
      Imagine the joy of traversing the Star Wars universe, encountering giant space slugs in asteroids, being chased by immense, beautifully modeled and detailed giant imperial star destroyers, pursuing careers like smuggler, trader, bounty-hunter etc. or landing on Nar Shadaa, dealing with the Hutt, or buying weapons at a Mon Calamari shipyard…..

This is a game that should have been made ages ago.

• c-Row says:

I’m still excited. And it arrives just in time when my friend and me will have finished the Hutt Cartel expansion on both sides.

2. BobbyDylan says:

Lol. New content for TOR. Isn’t that like changing the music to a party that everyone already left?

3. Zhiroc says:

Since it’s PvP-only, no I won’t be playing this aspect at all.

4. RedViv says:

So if I manage to be the greatest of all in this addon, will I be secretly abducted by aliens to save their home from an invasion?

5. lerxster says:

Insert standard SWG lament….

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Still waiting for SWGEmu to implement Jump to Lightspeed. I always spent more game time above the planets than on them. Probably still years off. Lamentlamentlament.

• Koozer says:

I spent a lot of time saving up the best materials from my mining operation to build the best pew pew lasers for my ship.

Pootling along in an X-wing in the empty vastness of space, spotting a group of TIE fighters and telling R5 to divert power to the front deflector never got old.

• Alexrd says:

Yeah, I’d rather play something during the timeline of the movies…

6. ulix says:

Since I’ve been waiting for Nintendo to make an actual new Star Fox game for the last 15 years, I have to ask:

Are the tube-shooter segments of SWTOR any good? How do they compare to, say Star Fox 64 or Sin & Punishment? Can I just play them and ignore the rest (the MMO-parts) of the game? How many tube-shooting stages are there?

• c-Row says:

Each of the space sectors has two or three stages, though you probably won’t stand a chance in some of the higher-level stages unless you upgrade your ship equipment – which, as far as I remember, has a character level requirement for the upper tier items.

You can, however, ignore most MMO-parts like PVP, crafting and the auction house and just pretend it was another KOTOR game and play it for the character’s story arc.

• nizzie says:

As someone who played the hell out of Lylat Wars 64, it’s not. It’s ok, but not good enough to keep you genuinely interested. The missions feel too bland, combat isn’t as fun as I remember LW to be, so to me it became a mini game I used to do once a day when I got too bored with questing and before I closed the game.

7. Crimsoneer says:

I wish I could keep playing TOR, but the F2P model just…arg. I feel so, so shafted as a non-subscriber, despite the fact that I spent around 70 or so quid on the game and a few months worth of subscription.

• jrodman says:

Honest question: Would you feel more or less shafted if you kept subscribing all this time?

• Wulfram says:

From my point of view I got 8 huge campaigns and spent ¬£3, so I don’t feel at all shafted

8. SuicideKing says:

The fights seem very 2-D here. But still, may give it a shot in Jan.

9. Chaz says:

Spent 2 days downloading 25Gb or so of this during a free trial back before it went free to play. Then spent a mere few hours playing it. Man it was SO BORING! Honestly, how do you take a franchise like Star Wars and end up making something so dull out of it?

And yeah, setting it in the Old Republic was a bad move, that’s not the classic Star Wars everyone loves.

10. dean93 says:

its so cool..Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you dont check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

11. hotmaildidntwork says:

Why is this video not set to a pulsing techno soundtrack?!

12. P.Funk says:

I hate this game. I hate it so much. Its awful and it sucks and its sucking up all the potential of the IP while its sitting there sucking.

SWGEmu, wait for me.

13. OscarWilde1854 says:

Do these starship laser guns EVER run out of ammo? That video is just “pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-” nonstop… the entire time… Because if there is one thing unskilled players truly need. It’s unlimited ammo.

They should implement that in CoD… imbeciles running around just holding the trigger down and hoping to hit someone… That’s what this game seems like.

14. Phasma Felis says:

Look at that variety! They’ve got The One That’s Sort Of Like a TIE Fighter, *and* The One That’s Sort Of Like An X-Wing!