The Voorhees Legacy: Camp Keepalive Available For $5

By Adam Smith on November 18th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Kevin Bacon died before I was born, which means there’s some sort of horrible Bacon zombie at the head of those dreadful conga lines. Like Johnny Depp after him, one of Kevin’s first feature film appearances was as the victim in a soon-to-be long-running horror franchise. They both die while lying on a bed and even though I’m more scared of Krueger, the removal of Bacon’s rind is far more disturbing. All of that is a bloody prologue to the meat of the post – splendid turn-based tactical puzzler Camp Keepalive, which is heavily inspired by Friday the 13th and other horror creations, is now available DRM-free for $5. There’s even a demo for Windows/Linux/Mac.

Counsellors have skills, which can be used to keep themselves and the wandering children alive, just like the camp’s name says. Progressing through levels introduces complex map layouts and increasingly dastardly monsters. I particularly like the predictability of most end of turn outcomes, with behaviours clearly explained, coupled with elements of randomisation, such as where children spawn and how they conduct themselves. Like tiny idiots is how, traipsing straight into the maw of the nearest werewolf or Lovecraftian obscenity.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. razgon says:

Either I’m too old, or something is wrong with my brain, but I don’t understand pretty much all of the above article?
    I think it was the “Kevin Bacon died before I was born” statement that started me down the dark path of non-comprehension.

• killias2 says:

Kevin Bacon was in Friday the 13th (the original), and he.. died in it. Johnny Depp was in Nightmare on Elm Stret (also the original), and he died in that.

Camp Keepalive is a game based on riffing movies like Friday the 13th.

• soopytwist says:

Actually I think you’ll find Camp Keepalive is a remake of the 1985 game from Domark, called Friday the 13th. I had it and it was shit.

Oops, and I see someone already pointed that out.

• Stan Lee Cube Rick says:

Actually I think you’ll find Camp Keepalive is very much not a remake of the 1985 game from Domark, called Friday the 13th. I had it and it was silly fun. If you came across a dead character you could just take whatever weapon you had and kill them right back to life again. Good times.

2. OpT1mUs says:

Great little game :)

@Razgon

I think he meant in the movie, Friday the 13th, where his character dies.

• razgon says:

oh…for some reason, my browser decided to not show any links whatsoever, leaving me rather clueless as to why Mr. Adam wrote as he did.

• GallonOfAlan says:

I assumed he meant the 1985 “Friday The 13th” video game by Domark on the C64, which is similar graphically and gameplay-wise.

3. Frank says:

Yay

4. ucfalumknight says:

Mr. Smith, let’s not also forget the amazing Jennifer Aniston in the amazing blockbuster and multiple sequel gut spilling Leprechaun!

5. dean93 says:

its so cool..Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you dont check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

6. SkittleDiddler says:

Paying $5 for something I could have created decades ago on my Apple IIgs seems a bit odd, but it takes all kinds of folks I guess.

Bugamn says:

Well, create something and sell then!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Seems I misplaced my IIgs back when it became obsolete. You wouldn’t happen to have a spare one, would you?

• kikito says:

I’ll sell you mine for $5000. It’s a steal, you are going to get it back so fast with your awesome code skills!

• DestroyYourEgo says:

kikito says:

^Awesome^ On Camp Keepalive- this looks interesting. I LOVED Friday the 13th on the NES (and I still do). This looks like that, but point and clicky. Nice!

• sPOONz says:

Thanks for sharing with us your missed opportunity!