Mathematical! Adventure Time: Explore The Dungeon Launch

By John Walker on November 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am.

It’s entirely thanks to RPS favourite Craig Pearson that I have Adventure Time in my life. And thank goodness. What a joy it brings. And I’ve so, so many episodes still to watch! I’ve even completed the stupid, surprisingly entertaining Android Super Jumping Finn, in a desire to enter that world. So it’s with some excitement that I notice Adventure Time: Explore The Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! is now out. Also, fear, because if it’s rubbish, it’ll rather spoil the water. I’m going to take a look today. Meanwhile, there’s a launch trailer below.

It’s surprising to see the game listed at £30 on PC. It rather changes my expectations of it, than if it had appeared at, say, a tenner. This now needs to be something bigger, more involved, than you’d imagine from a cartoon with the attention span of a ADHD-riddled kitten. Well, we shall see.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Gap Gen says:

Oh my glob you guys.

But yes, not paying £30 for this. I assume it’ll bottom out in a Steam sale at some point, though.

EDIT: Also it seems like from the trailer that they didn’t record any new dialogue or footage for the game, which strikes me like they don’t really care.

• John Walker says:

That’s definitely not the case. A ton of new dialogue.

• Gap Gen says:

Ah, neat. I just thought the intonation on Bubblegum at the end was weird and assumed they just grabbed it from an episode. My bad.

• Bull0 says:

Is “footage” the right word when it’s a cartoon? They don’t actually film it on location in the Candy Kingdom, or so my wife insists

• Gap Gen says:

• Harlander says:

Most video probably doesn’t go onto rolls of film of multiple feet in length any more, animated or live-action

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, for sure, just something about “footage” in this context felt wrong. I’m used to hearing it used in terms of found footage, documentary footage, etc. When they stick deleted scenes on a Simpsons DVD they don’t call it “new footage”. :P I’ve been Bull0, your wednesday off-topic language navelgazer, thanks for taking time out to join me today

2. MajorManiac says:

I was introduced to Adventure Time by watching TV with my daughter. I also highly recommend The Amazing World of Gumball.

• Gap Gen says:

You should totally show your daughter The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, if you think she doesn’t have enough psychological problems yet.

• wodin says:

Love Adventure Time..thanks to my Daughter aswell;)

She has a fair bit of AT stuff for Xmas.

Blimey also love Gumball aswell..

• JimboDeany says:

I am a massive fan of Adventure Time and to a lesser extent Gumball, I do not however have any kids so can’t blame them for getting me into it……

• Winged Nazgul says:

Sadly, my kids are way too grown for Adventure Time. Happily, I am not. I watched a few shows to find out why the Internet was obsessing about it, got socked heavily in the feels and fell for the weird dystopia of Adventure Time.

But I think I’ll wait on the eventual Steam sale for this one.

• Commissar Choy says:

That show has too many feels sometimes.

• Gap Gen says:

There’s the sad point where children push away from kids’ stuff while they’re flailing about as teens trying to figure out what being a grown-up means without realising it means you can do whatever you like and eff the haters. It’s actually a pretty good show for teens; deals with a lot of relationshippy stuff, and has a protagonist who is basically going through the awkward phase of figuring out what’s a bad idea to do the hard way. (In fact, its eye-level characters are about 13 and 30, I guess, though if you ignore the awkward teen stuff Jake can pass for younger).

• Baines says:

Finn is 12 when the show starts. I think he is supposed to be around 15 or so now. I don’t know if it still holds true, but the idea for the first few seasons was that he would age with the show.

3. KeyboardGato says:

This is one of the rare games that i’ll be able to play with my gf.

4. Bull0 says:

Hard to see it living up to the price tag, but I do love me some finn & jake

5. frightlever says:

Also, Bravest Warriors:

And Steven Universe:

Bravest warriors is AT quality in my opinion but Steven Universe is pitched quite a few IQ points lower so far.

I haven’t read a good review of the AT game yet but when it hits pocket money territory I’ll bite. Oh and please don’t tell me thirty quid is pocket money.

• Commissar Choy says:

Oh man, I cannot recommend the Bravest Warriors enough. Absolutely in love with that show. Also the comics for AT and BW are both so good it’s ridiculous.

6. GamesInquirer says:

There are plenty dungeon crawlers or 2D games or pixel art games worth 30 or more, I don’t think these trailers show anything against that kind of pricing. But you’re right in the end as the actual game is rather simplistic with little variety and depth. I don’t think a lower price would save it though. It’s just not a very deep, very good dungeon crawl. Unless it changes a LOT past the first 11 or so floors I did last night.

7. DrScuttles says:

Yeah, I’d happily pay £10-£15 for some light, simple Adventure Time fluff. It’s £25 on the 3DS though. Is that normal price for 3DS games? I don’t know.
    But then you can play as Lemongrab and I’ll likely buy it on a whim at full price just because of that.
    Oh and I see on Steam everyone’s favourite Satanist, Peppermint Butler is DLC. Hmm.

• BenLeng says:

UNNNNNACCEPTABLE!

• Kitsunin says:

3DS is actually pretty interesting in that different games cost different amounts. It seems that they’ve finally realized I’m willing to pay more for something overhyped like Fire Emblem than the latest Harvest Moon game.

• realitysconcierge says:

That it has that DLC is rather terrible. I remember a time when doing something like that on release would’ve had a pitchforks and torches mob storming the castle.

• Mokinokaro says:

It’s the preorder bonus put up for those who want to buy it after release, which is slightly better than standard day 1 dlc stuff.

• Baines says:

Not really.

The positive: You get it free if you pre-order. Support a game, and you get rewarded for your early adoption.

The negatives: It convinces people to be more accepting of DLC. It also convinces people to pre-order, which can be a bad thing for consumers. (In a perfect world, pre-ordering would be fine. But it isn’t a perfect world. Beyond the simple chance that you just won’t like a game, we have publishers and developers who abuse the pre-order system to grab as much money as they can before word gets out that their game is bad.)

• Bull0 says:

Preordering makes sense in lots of contexts, where supply might be an issue. With digital stuff delivered over the internet, it’s an irrelevance, you’re kind of just giving an interest-free loan to a third party. But yeah, the point about making preorder bonuses available after the fact and that being a relatively Good Thing(tm) compared to general day-one DLC does stand, imo.

8. mfcrocker says:

Is it me or does the framerate look like butts?

• Mokinokaro says:

It’s intentionally jerky in cutscenes. They’re going for an old school feel.

The actual gameplay is quite smooth.

And, yes, for those wondering it’s not worth the full price. It’s basically a Gauntlet clone with some AT humour and references. Wait for a sale.

Also, no online play really hurts it.

9. commentingaccount says:

John, if you haven’t played Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?! you need to. It’s a great game, ran through it last week. There are two versions. DS and 3DS. The 3DS version is better due to more musical tracks and a higher res screen to use. Plus a weirdo extra if you use the Konami Code on the titlescreen. It cannot be described, it must be seen.

• Capnpaddy says:

It never released in Europe so it would have to be an imported DS game which would be a lot of effort considering the length of the game and response it got.

10. lowprices says:

I’d love a good Adventure Time game. Sadly, the reviews I’ve seen suggest this is a big barrel of bumwater. Shame.

11. tyen says:

I see lots of glowing love for this series in the comments, which I wasn’t really expecting.
    I can see now that it’s hard to be a sourpuss when the thing you don’t like is all rainbows and weird unicorns.
    I like that other people like it.

• lowprices says:

Adventure Time is the current face of Kids cartoons it’s acceptable to like, the same way Spongebob was a few years back.

• Jack Mack says:

I think you’re already on the wrong track if you care about which kids cartoons it’s socially acceptable to like.

• lowprices says:

Personally, I don’t care. Watch what you want to watch. It just appears to me that at any one given time there is one cartoon aimed primarily at children that adults are happy to declare their love of. Spongebob, My Little Pony, Adventure Time…

• Niko says:

Thing is, there’s quite a lot of stuff in Adventure Time that kids won’t get, so it’s more family-like.

• Gap Gen says:

Right, a lot of kids’ stuff today realises that the gatekeepers of their child’s entertainment are adults, so it helps to make something that they actively want to watch too.

• The Random One says:

*weird rainbow unicorns

12. Tei says:

*lemonogre voice* ACCEPTABLE */lemonogre voice*

13. Piecewise says:

Unfortunately, from what I’ve seen and heard, its an uninspired dungeon crawler with an emphasis on mindless grinding. Made by the same people that are making “Smurfs 2: the video game”.

• siegarettes says:

To be fair, they also made the remake of A Boy and His Blob, Contra 4, Shantae, Mighty Switch Force, Aliens: Infestation, Double Dragon Neon, Batman: Brave and the Bold etc. so it’s not like they *can’t* make a good game, they just happen to do a lot of licensed products, likely with smaller budgets and time constraints.

14. The Random One says:

It looked pretty jerky on the trailer and lots of reviews are pointing out it’s not very good. That’s an absolute shame, as Adventure Time’s creator Pendleton Ward absolutely loves video games and I’m sure he would have wanted this to be excellent. Also, he’s alive, in case my bizarre choice of verb tenses made you think he had died.

15. nicolejscott says:

▂ ▄ ▅ ▇ Good News My Buddies ▇ ▅ ▄ ▂
    …”Can you have some spare time to sit back in your chair having your laptop with you and making some money online for some interesting online work “said Jenny Francis in the party last night ….see more what is for you there to increase your pocket money============ W­­W­­W­.J­o­b­s­5­3.­ℂ­­ℴ­­m

Comment on this story