Coulrophobia Begone: Devolver To Publish Dropsy

By Adam Smith on November 21st, 2013 at 11:00 am.

This is an odd little tale. Dropsy is a creepy but carefree clown living in a grotesque world. He has adventures of the pointy, clicky variety, although without the swarms of words that usually accompany such journeys. The people and things of Dropsy’s world communicate “through visual icons”, most of which are probably also creepy and/or grotesque. The clown is trying to clear his name following a fatal circus fire. Those three words rapidly conjure the odour of burning grease paint and the sound of screaming elephants. That’s not the odd part of the story though – the odd part is how the game’s production has unfolded. A failed $25,000 Kickstarter was followed by a successful $14,000 attempt, which is still running, and now Devolver Digital have picked the game up for publication, offering “additional development, marketing, and production funds”.

This video explains how the traditional adventure style gels with Dropsy’s ‘open world’.

Devolver’s CFO, the inimitable Fork Parker, had this to say: “You had me at visual dialog. We’re going to save a boatload of cash on localization.”

Wonderful.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. pilouuuu says:

Well, this could be interesting.

It reminds me of Weird Dreams on the Amiga and Sanitarium for some reason. And Ronald Mc Donald.

2. Meat Circus says:

You know, I’m beginning to think that Fork Parker isn’t real. Like global warming, or brown people.

• Shooop says:

Whaaaat? Who has my president been sending drones after (and getting a Nobel peace prize in the process for) then?!

3. Monkeh says:

Devolver really should slow down a bit, otherwise I’ll have to demote Valve from being my favourite publisher.

• The Dark One says:

I saw it mentioned elsewhere, but: Dropsy mask in Hotline Miami 2. Do it do it do it do it!

4. Oasx says:

The character of Dropsy has been around for a while as sort of Make your own adventure stories on the Something Awful forums, the threads have always been fun, so it is nice to see the second kickstarter be successful..

5. suat88 says:

Good news….Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

6. virginiaejones says:

▂ ▄ ▅ ▇ Good News My Buddies ▇ ▅ ▄ ▂
    …”Can you have some spare time to sit back in your chair having your laptop with you and making some money online for some interesting online work “said Jenny Francis in the party last night ….see more what is for you there to increase your pocket money============ W­­W­­W­.J­o­b­s­5­3.­ℂ­­ℴ­­m