Sentris Selebrates Its Funding With A Free Prototype For You

By Alec Meer on November 21st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Music-making (sort of) puzzle game Sentris (as posted about by the boy Nathan last week) has now been given its $50,000 Kickstarter green card, and while the campaign will be all but over by the time these words reach you, you can at least join in with the celebrations if you don’t mange to pledge in time. Dev Samantha Kalman has released Sentris’ prototype to the public, the one that was on show in the pitch videos, in both PC and Mac flavours (with Linux provided on request, apparently). It’s only 39 megabytes, and as we all know game quality directly equates to filesize, so it must be rubbish. That’s why Peggle and Tetris are so awful.

A quick play suggests it’s definitely onto something, and the idea that music creation can steam as much from error as it can from following orders (in this case tagging specific blocks on the rotating spheres) is an appealing one.

Though it did mean that my first attempt resulted in what I would expert Kraftwerk to sound like if they put Rob Ford on synths. It’s going to take me a fair bit of figuring out yet, if I’m to create something I don’t feel abjectly ashamed of.

You should probably watch this video before playing, like I didn’t do:

This link goes directly to a Dropbox download of the prototype; if it’s dead I’d imagine you should check the Kickstarter page for possible replacement sources.

There should be around a dozen hours left on the clock by the time you read this, so if you want to lob a few bonus groats into its current $53k plot, here’s where to go.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Niko says:

Everything in my field of vision is swirling clockwise after playing this game, what neurophysiological trickery is this?!

2. Armante says:

There just doesn’t seem to be much ‘game’ to this.

• The First Door says:

I disagree! The pushing blocks into the center mechanic looks like it could be easily used to create some rather fiendish puzzles!

3. Bluerps says:

I’ve heard that criticism, that a game with a small filesize can’t be any good, several times recently, and I am baffled by the utter stupidity of it. Why would anyone think that quality and filesize are connected in any way?

4. WhatKateDoes says:

I think the demoscene has tried to show what amazing stuff can be done in so few kilobytes!

..mostly specifically something like this amazing 4 Kilobyte production. Thats 4k.. including music, visuals, the lot :O

5. Kitsunin says:

I’m really impressed! The bass sounds at the beginning were kind of terrible, but by the end I really loved what it was doing. The puzzle game nature of it is neat, since it means you’re encouraged to place your sounds in a structured (Musical?) manner to solve the puzzle, while simultaneously being given a considerable amount of freedom.

6. hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

I wasn’t terribly impressed by the video of this quite some weeks back, but it’s a lot more fun to play than to watch. I’ll be watching to see how this develops; the concept is promising. My only real concern at this point is that without either a huge number of puzzles (like Free Cell game numbers huge) or some randomization, it could get stale fast.

7. DuneTiger says:

I feel like I’m watching a display that would be on a terminal in front of a hapless dude in a scoop-like helmet, sitting somewhere on the Death Star while poking at unlabelled buttons and slowly easing levers up and down…. now that I think about it, why was the Death Star so frigging manual to begin with?

8. suat88 says:

Good news….Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://goo.gl/f6e95V

Comment on this story