Indiesaurus: Dino Run 2′s Indie Guests

By Adam Smith on November 22nd, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Dino Run 2: Dino Harder (not its actual subtitle) isn’t simply more of the same. There are still dinosaurs and they’re still fleeing the Doom That Lurks At the Left Side of the Screen (actual Lovecraft story), but the variety of playable Cretaceous critters encourages exploration as well as fleeing. A recent update provides information about the Pachycephalosaurus. It’s a dinosaur with a hard hat growing out of its head, which means it can bash through rocks, topple trees and stun other creatures. Unlike the Triceratops, which is also a demolition dino, the Pachycephalosaurus is small enough to dart through tunnels, and agile enough to leap and bound. Pixeljam have also announced a set of “dino hats, heads and customizations based on characters from well-known indie games of the past and present”. There’s a picture of those below and I’m currently struggling to identify them all.

OK, I’m missing something obvious here and no doubt people will point out what a thicko I am when they tell me where I’m going wrong, but who the heck is the rather psychedelic chap on the rock near the centre? It’s probably from a game that I reviewed or have otherwise expressed my love of, just to make my inability to recognise prehistoric pixel art renditions of characters even more embarrassing than it already is. It’s one of the few skills that I thought I possessed.

These indie dinos will be included in the special edition of the original Dinorun as well as the sequel. Dinorun: SE is due early next year.

Success for Dino Run 2 is far from certain. Pixeljam currently have around $45,000 of pledges with a $175,000 target and less than two weeks on the clock.

, , , , .

1. Dr. Shenanigans says:

Adam, I believe that chap is the main character from Hyper Light Drifter.

2. ironman Tetsuo says:

Pretty sure that is the Hyper Light Drifter on the rock in the middle! Shame on you.

3. Kefren says:

Top right, black and white, is that Bruce Lee being chased by the ninja? http://www.gamenergy.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Bruce-Lee-C64.jpg

4. GROM says:

gonna try : journey, castle chrashers, meatboy bandaidgirld, dr fetus, world of goo? that eye with sticks coming out, commander video, machinarium, bastion, fez, hyper light drifter, braid, spelunky, retro city rampage, don’t starve, skulls of the shogun and I think mark of the ninja with that bandana? yup I suck at naming them as well!

• Geebs says:

Vvvvv, alien hominid, sword and sworcery, possibly guacamelee, incredipede

RaveTurned says:

Grey & green dino in the top-right – virus named TOM.

Also bottom right are Steve, Creeper and Skeleton from Minecraft.

• TonyB says:

The four things to the left of Don’t Starve guy represent Battleblock Theater.

• TonyB says:

Oh, and I’d say the ninja is from N/N+ rather than Mark of the Ninja.

• Nixitur says:

Neither N nor Mark the Ninja wear a bandana in-game, but in official artwork, N is often portrayed as wearing a red bandana that flows when he’s running which is all the time.
            So, yes, it’s probably that guy, especially given the shape of the head and the color.

• The First Door says:

In N+ he wears that bandana by default in game, if it helps?

5. Geebs says:

I’m waiting for the indie game which ends up featuring its own protagonist as a special guest

6. archdrone says:

The thing below the hyper light drifter is the plant from Paradise Lost: First Contact

Edit: Which did anyone see that those to projects are doing cross overs? The post on Paradise Lost stuff looked cool

7. lautalocos says:

i was incredibly dissapointed when “the Doom That Lurks At the Left Side of the Screen ” didnĀ“t give my any results on google.

8. Ross Angus says:

The Flare Path Foxer is tough this week, eh?

9. rapchee says:

is it only me or are dinos with human heads are fairly disturbing?