Mourning Glory: The Shivah – Kosher Edition

By Adam Smith on November 22nd, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Wadjet Eye are situated within an extremely comfortable niche. I think it’s a niche. It’s bigger than a cranny or a nook but probably not big enough to be referred to as a rift. I haven’t played all of the company’s published output, which includes externally developed titles as well as their internal creations, but despite my fondness for the Blackwell series, The Shivah is the game that I always associate with founder Dave Gilbert. It’s a quiet game about mourning, morality and murder, starring a Rabbi who is grappling with questions of faith. News of the Kosher Edition’s release, with updated graphics and a new soundtrack, is reason enough to take on the role of hazzan and sing its praises once more, even if John did mention its existence just over a week ago. A demo is available and if you’d like to stroke a synagogue, the Kosher edition is also available for touchable screens, with a revamped interface.

The Kosher Edition costs $4.99. The next game from Wadjet will most likely be the final entry in the Blackwell series, which I spoke to Mr Gilbert about briefly following the frightful Halloween giveaway.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. mzlapq says:

Searching for previous post on RPS is so horrible, even Adam Smith won’t do it!

2. mrmalodor says:

Oy vey! I am at work and cannot play!

3. Michael Fogg says:

Is Wadjet Eye in fact named after an item in Spelunky? If I called my game dev house after an in-game item I’d go with ‘Exploding Buckshot’.

• Stellar Duck says:

I’m not sure how serious you are, but no, I rather doubt it’s named for something from Spelunky as Wadjet Eye predates the game with a couple of years.

The Wadjet Eye comes from the Eye of Horus.

• The Random One says:

Just to clarify, the Eye of Horus is another name for the Wadjet Eye, a symbol of luck and protection used by ancient Egyptians, and not, as one might think, a 1995 underwhelming Heretic clone that Rubert Clobett covered recently. Well, it may be both, actually, but that’d be a coincidence.

4. Henke says:

I saw this pop up on Steam yesterday. The screenshots alone depressed the shit out of me. :(

5. mr.black says:

I personally enjoy that sort of detailed personal stories, with character traits depicted in minimalistic, but strong and clear strokes, so I’m glad it didn’t go forgotten.
    Yeah, as all WA games, it’s beautifully written, psychologically atmospheric (erm.. you’ll get what I’m trying to say. Eventually. Probably.), has nice pixel-art and mostly logical Golden-age-Lucasarts style puzzles.

Comment on this story