Bugbear Cans Next Car Game Kickstarter, Releases Demo

By Nathan Grayson on November 23rd, 2013 at 11:00 am.

If the highway to the danger zone were a literal thing, this would be its last exist.

FlatOut creator Bugbear’s next car game, Next Car Game, crashes and burns like nobody’s business – in a good way. Unfortunately, its Kickstarter crashed and burned because nobody offered it their business – in a bad way – so Bugbear’s elected to pull the plug. Fear not, however, for your fantasies of mangled metal and tires soaring like majestic rubber eagles haven’t gone up in smoke just yet. Bugbear plans to continue the project via its Early Access program, and there’s already a playable physics playground demo out right now.

Bugbear explained its premature Kickstarter shutdown in an update:

“Although our Kickstarter campaign has attracted tremendous enthusiasm, during the last couple of weeks it’s become obvious that we are not going to meet our goal. Because of this we have decided concentrate on our efforts on the pre-order campaign.”

“As a thank-you to our faithful fans, we have decided to release a PLAYABLE technology sneak peek, and it’s available RIGHT NOW to all our pre-order supporters. The sneak peek features a playground that we use internally to test various features various like car damage and environment destruction. The best thing about it is that you will get a chance to have fun and wreak havoc with an amazing 24 cars!”

And if you haven’t pre-ordered? Well then, your chances of being mauled by an actual bugbear (aka, hobgoblin, bogeyman, or bugaboo) are exponentially higher. But also, you can get your fill of Next Car Game with this sneak peek trailer, which really isn’t very sneaky at all given that it’s publicly available to millions of people on YouTube.

Is it bad that I kind of just want the final game to be a bigger, better version of that? A carnival of physics-based car calamities? A free space for my wildest machinations to run wild/drive like an idiot? I guess this is why I don’t play many racing games.

, , .

PoulWrist says:

The techdemo is pretty great, runs very, very fluently, and looks quite good. Can’t wait for this thing to be tuned and upgraded and textured for a full game :)

2. Baboonanza says:

I hope they have better success in the future because after watching that video I would very much like a modern Destruction Derby using that tech. I would have becked them right now if the KS was still open.

3. SuicideKing says:

Hadn’t they released a similar tech demo before as well?

• Neurotic says:

You might be thinking of the thing they released a few weeks ago, which was a tech demo of the original FO, from 2002.

4. Tei says:

This is really good, raise the level of destruction. hahah… make me want to play a game where the end is just a serie of machines that chew on your car, so only bits of metal end the race (a Portal-ish like joke).

5. LionsPhil says:

I discovered they had done this, rather annoyingly, just a few hours before I went to finally get around to backing it.

I don’t really get this give-up cancelling when they still had a few days left, given how some KS projects spike up violently at the last minute. (Possibly due to chronic procrastinators such as myself. :( )

(And FO2′s try-before-you-buy car area was a bit like that Nathan. Albeit with fewer grinders. [Plus it and the first had high-jump minigames.])

• InternetBatman says:

They don’t spike up that violently (normally about 10 – 20% of total). This is especially true for larger games.

Henke says:

Yeah, NCG was barely at 25% of it’s goal. Not very likely they would’ve made the final 75% in the last week.

• LionsPhil says:

I wonder how much that dreadful name was to blame.

PoulWrist says:

You can, however, still back it at nextcargame.com in their original campaign, which they launched before kickstarter.

6. AlienMind says:

Yeah, I’d like this. I had even backed, but this is not DRM free and will probably be STEAMONLY.

• Awesumo says:

I don’t know why they even bother – Cracking steam games has been refined to precise art by pirates… usually they are available within an hour of their US release… (VERY annoying when you bought it legitimately but have to wait 3 days for you *digital* copy to be shipped across the Atlantic for the delayed EU release date.)

• Tuco says:

Mostly because the point of releasing a game on Steam isn’t to tie it to some uncrackable DRM, as much as to tie it to a service that a lot of people like and offers a lot of useful features.
        That, and just the fact that a lot of people also have already invested in Steam a lot and they tend to like having some sort of continuity in their game library.

On a side note, being pretty much uncrackable until day one release is already something that Steam can brag -as a “DRM”- above a lot of competition.

7. Licaon_Kter says:

The KS page now says “Funding Canceled: Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator about 23 hours ago.” WTF?

8. PopeRatzo says:

Look, just put the thing in an updated Paradise City and I’ll give you my ATM pin number and we can leave it at that. You can even give me DJ Atomika, who I miss like a brother.

9. bit_crusherrr says:

Disappointed this wasn’t going to meet its Kickstarter goal. This was the first Kickstarter I actually backed, I really want to see more destruction racing games.

10. Darth Grabass says:

I’m flashing back to Carmageddon 2. Yes, I’d love a larger game that was essentially just that.

11. Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

*click play*
    *click mute*
    *sip coffee and watch*

Yea man, that’s pretty neat. I’m don’t understand the Pig-Pen like clouds of dust following a collsion, but it looks really fun anyway. I’d like to see “Hollywood Mode” where at the first collision the car bursts into an enormous explosion with fireballs flying everywhere.

12. Life Glug says:

I backed this, paying extra to get an exclusive car, before it went to KS. Just based on a video posted on this site.
    The tech demo is fun but the inverted mouse camera rotation is doing my head in.

As others have mentioned, this reminds me of Carmageddon 2. That game had quite a good repair mechanic in which you could expend points scored in order to gradually repair your car. The effect had a very satisfying sound and look.

13. gwathdring says:

“FlatOut creator Bugbear’s next car game, Next Car Game, crashes and burns like nobody’s business – in a good way. Unfortunately, its Kickstarter crashed and burned because nobody offered it their business – in a bad way – so Bugbear’s elected to pull the plug. ”

Why I read RPS. :D

14. PedroTheHutt says:

I feel they would’ve lost nothing over letting the campaign run its course, for a while the Kickstarter for The Mandate looked like it was going to fail but a video by Angry Joe a few days back brought the thing back to life and now it’s suddenly back on track to reaching its goal, potentially even with a couple of days to spare. You never know when some major Youtuber suddenly feels like plugging your game halfway through the campaign and causing a resurgence in donations. But oh well~

15. Shooop says:

Just a crazy thought, but maybe they should have gotten a real demo like that ready before starting their Kickstarter so potential backers would have had a better idea what to expect and spread the word around the web better?

16. rockman29 says:

Watch this if you want to get an idea what the demo offers, great video, lots of great crashing :)

LGR Plays BugBears Next Car Game

17. DrManhatten says:

Looks like if you are not

* A RPG (Action or other)
    * A Zombie/Horror theme game
    * Another OH look at me I am so RETRO game.
    * A mediocre adventure game
    * A reboot of a totally boring click & point puzzle game (yes I am looking at you so-called Myst successor)

Your changes on kickstarter are rather slim!

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Been starting to get the same impression myself… Which is unfortunate; because what we really need is people creating new “types” of games.. new genres.. new topics.. but 90% of them wouldn’t reach proper funding.

• InternetBatman says:

Really, your statement comes down to pointless broad griping from someone who couldn’t be bothered to look at what’s actually been happening.

Recently successful games (in the last two weeks) include:
      Nectar, a game where you play as a bee; Girl and the Robot, a 3D game that takes cues from Ico; Night in the Woods, a 2D platformer with a unique artstyle; Chaingang chase, a six-player game where you control people linked together on a chaingang trying to escape; Scale, a 3D platformer about changing the size of almost every object around you; and faeria, a hex and card based multiplayer game.

The “retro” look is a way for developers to create within their means. If they didn’t use it, they wouldn’t be able to get enough money to make their games. Limitations define all artforms.
      Zombies have a very tough time on kickstarter. You just don’t see most of the zombie games, but for every Confederate Express there’s ten barely functioning DayZ clones.
      RPG is a broad category. There have been two good-looking RPG/business sims in the last month alone.

However, your complaints are even more ridiculous when you look at the categories of games you listed:
      No retro games; which means no cheap games.
      No horror, adventure, retro, point and click, or RPGs. So presumably kickstarter should be supporting driving games (besides Road Revenge), FPS, RTS (excluding Plannetary Annihilation, and genres that are both unknown but take a very expensive, highly-skilled team. Or in other words, you’re complaining that Kickstarter isn’t serving up AAA games left and right, despite having a total budget smaller than GTAV.

• DrManhatten says:

No actually I am just sick of these retro 8bit looking games using retro as an excuse of having zero graphics skills!

And yes there is occasional the one or the other gem like The Mandate right now. But then you see crap like a Myth successor (which you can hardly call a game but maybe it is just me not understanding what people found so fascinating in a completely cheap and crappy looking pre-rendered CGI graphics rudimentary puzzle game) pulling in a million.

And yes driving games really have a hard standing on kickstarter the only successful one I’ve seen was the spiritual Road Rash successor and that one just about barely made it.

At the moment half of the projects in the popular section are: RPGs, Rogue-like games or adventure games (so yeah maybe you should take a look again)