New Drox Operative: Invasion Of The Ancients Trailers

By Graham Smith on November 25th, 2013 at 11:00 am.

I hope this series runs and runs so I can make a Droperative 7 pun one day.

Drox Operative is a space-set action RPG in which the world around you changes whether you interact with it or not. You fly about, destroying spaceships and using the items they drop to tweak and level your own ship. As you meet new civilizations, they might ask you to help them expand or destroy their neighbour, and your action or inaction will help shape the galaxy.

A new expansion, Invasion of the Ancients, came out earlier this month. Now there’s a new trailer for both it and the base game below.

Adam liked the original game a lot when he WIT it last year. I’m just going to quote from Adam wholesale here, because this excites me:

A Drox Operative is, quite simply, a person with a badass spaceship who does whatever seems like a good idea at the time, with backing from a shadowy collective who provide upgrades and new ships when they see results. The operative might spend his/her time solving problems, creating problems, ignoring problems, but what’s essential is to use the space you’re given as a personal playground. Soldak provides a canvas, not blank but bristling with intent, and the spaceship, lasers and nuclear missiles are your brushes.

My only complaint is that the expansion is called Invasion of the Ancients, which maybe you don’t want to do when one of the most popular games in the world right now is Dota in its many forms, and that used to mean Defense of the Ancients. But hey. As far as bad game names go, this is pretty low on the chart.

Drox Operative (or ‘Droperative’ in my head now, and forever more) is by Soldak, the maker’s of the mechanically similar Depths of Peril. Drox costs $20, and $10 for the expansion.

, , , .

RedViv says:

Yeah, should have gone with Heir of this Space.

(P.S. Yadda Greenlight http://www.steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122180124 yadda blah.)

2. Asherie says:

-nevermind, forget it-

3. CobraLad says:

Greenlight link is required in that article.

4. Blackcompany says:

Drox Operative really is a fun time. Its an Action RPG….except when its not. Your decisions matter. Boy do they matter.

For instance…don’t ally yourself with the most militarily powerful race and go about haphazardly exterminating everyone else in the system in order to garner a military win, unless you are darn sure you can pull if off. I tried that once, only to find out three other races had formed an alliance, wiped out the Brunt (my allies) and now I had – quite literally – no friends, nowhere to dock, shop, repair or run to.

Drox is a blast to play, but it can punish you if you for what you do, or even don’t do. If you’re looking for an ARPG with a brain, I highly recommend Drox, or pretty well any other Soldak game out there, over any other titles in the genre. Yes, any of them.

5. exce56 says:

..Google is paying 75$/hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. On sunday I bought themselves a Alfa Romeo from having made $5637 this month. its the best-job Ive ever had.It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it out http://x.co/2pwze

6. the_leveller says:

I doubt they care one iota about their acronyms…

Ah balls, someone beat me to it

FriendGaru says:

This is a game that if it ever goes on sale, I intend to buy it.