Starbound is Betabound, Landing Around Dec 4th

By Adam Smith on November 26th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

If ‘arrangements go through with Steam’, Starbound’s first beta will be available around December 4th. I’ve opened a can of fizz in celebration of the fact because Starbound’s procedural planets and penguins look splendid, and December 4th isn’t much more than a week away. Instead of counting down the days until Christmas, I’m going to start counting the days until Starbound, even if it might not be quite as punctual as Daddy Jesus Claus.

For more information about the probable status of the beta, which may be the first of several releases, check out Nathan’s post here. For more of what to expect from the game, read the updates. Any of them. They speak of wonderful things, including newly added random events, morphball tech and castles, like the one in the picture above.

There’s also a tree supported by “a couple of springy plants”, created by the latest terrain generation code. This is the kind of thing I hope to discover during my journeys in space.

, , .

1. Chalk says:

Been looking forward to this.

Looks like it will be an endless amount of fun, in a huge universe!

2. Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

FINALLY!

3. Leb says:

My buddies and I have been waiting for this since the pre-order first came about!

4. Forral says:

YES YES YES YES!!!

Finally, been following this game for what feels like an eternity.

5. MuscleHorse says:

Had told myself I wouldn’t be buying any more games until the Christmas sale after Nuclear Throne this week. Looks like it ain’t happening.

6. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

Woo! Got this for pre-order at the first available opportunity. As long as it’s Terraria but more of it (with laser guns) I’m happy, and the dev blog posts leave me in no doubt it’ll be great. Anyone wondering about this really should give the site a read – the dev blog posts have been incredibly consistent and informative, and are a great example of a dev communicating with the fans.

7. Bobka says:

So ridiculously exciting. I am prepared for potential over-hyping and disappointment, but I am still madly in love with the concept and promise of the game, and I don’t regret sinking 45$ into the pre-order. Can’t wait!

8. dE says:

Starbound puts my view into perspective. Everytime I want to snarl and laugh at Star Citizen “I want to believe” fans, I remember how much I want to believe in Starbound. Can’t wait. Although technically proven: I could and did wait.

9. noodlecake says:

So how is this going to be any different to Terraria? It just looks like Terraria with a nicer art style and the same gameplay on different worlds except everything is skinned differently. :S

• Bull0 says:

Travel between different planets rather than different instances of the same basic planet type, etc

• derbefrier says:

Yeah same here I guess people just realy loved terreria and want more of it and even though I didn’t like that game this does basically look like terreria on steriods.

• noodlecake says:

There is A LOT of content in Terraria. I don’t see how this can possibly be more saturated with content than Terraria. I have Terraria installed now and started playing it again and got bored (mainly because I have nobody to play with. My gaming friends are all gaming philistines) before I’d scratched the surface of all the new stuff they added since I last played it. I think it was still in beta back then..

• Bull0 says:

It’s different. The building works differently and it has a story and quests and stuff. Inventory items like guns are procedurally generated versus Terraria’s fixed roster of items. Honestly “Terraria in Space” is useful shorthand for describing the game to a layman but from all reports it plays quite differently.

• Chalky says:

The production quality in starbound is far, far higher than Terraria. There are multiple story lines to explore, randomly generated questing system, full mod support (including automatic downloading of mods from a multiplayer server if that server is running mods), a huge quantity of procedural content including randomly generated planets, creatures, weapons, NPC villages and dungeons.

I got bored of Terraria because of how shallow the content became – it gets to a point where everything is just a reskin with bigger numbers. Starbound has far more depth and variety.

10. JasonD says:

While waiting a LONG time for this, I’ve gone and looked at other guys to hold me over. I’ve absolutely gotten hooked on Asteria! http://playasteria.com has been worth every minute I’ve put into it!

• Kestrel says:

Awesome! It’s like Terraria without art direction or a soul!

• Gravy100 says:

It does indeed look terrible, and its called ass-teria….

• Bull0 says:

Cor, you guys are meanies

• JasonD says:

If Terraria had the time saving mechanics that Asteria has, I might be spending more of my time in Terraria.

11. Syphus says:

Why am I hearing this on here first and not from their site?

• Bull0 says:

This is all based on a tweet from one of the devs.

• irongamer says:

I was thinking the same thing. I spend too much time on those forums and I still missed it. Admittedly I don’t look at the twitter ticker as my ingrained ad blocking vision automatically ignores those vertically shaped website components. Looking forward to the beta!

Harlander says:

It’s probably because every time the word beta* is uttered near the CF forums, the SNR goes to minus infinity as a million voices ask where the beta is and are, sadly, not suddenly silenced.

*or a word that sounds like beta, or some kind of tortured numerology that makes the “Half-Life 3 confirmed!” meme look sensible

• Stardreamer says:

Because RPS is just that awesome. :)

12. Memph says:

Really excited, although after Terraria 1.2, this has much to contend with for my top spot. I feel one big reason I’m able to spend countless hours pottering about in Terraria is the absolutely pitch-perfect ambient/psy flavoured soundtrack. It’s mesmorising and I can listen to it all day. The one thing that really holds it back though is the necessity of creating other worlds and having everything stuck on one of them, with no easy way to back and forth. It’s this feature i’m really looking forwards to in Starbound.

• nimbulan says:

Starbound has a fantastic soundtrack as well (you can download a good portion of it if you preorder from their website) though it is a very different style from Terraria.

13. Stardreamer says: