If Global.GameMaker_Is_Free = 1 { Script_Execute(Download)

By Graham Smith on November 27th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

You can muddle through even with crap code like this.

At first, I thought of Game Maker as a tool for unskilled beginners to make psuedo, they-don’t-count games. Then Spelunky came along and took away my snobbery, showing me that the entry-level tool could be used to create fantastic games. Then Gunpoint came along, and replaced my snobbery outright with a permeating sense of bitterness and regret; the kind which penetrates deep to your core and gradually erodes all your personal relationships.

Consider me a cautionary tale, and make use of this offer: Game Maker Studio‘s Standard edition, which normally costs $50, is free at the moment.

Game Maker is mainly designed to enable you to make 2D games, putting them together with its drag-and-drop object system or via its forgiving scripting language, GML. It’s tremendously powerful for those just starting out, and blessed with a good set of in-built Help files and a strong community. For example, here’s Spelunky’s creator Derek Yu writing a still-useful Game Maker beginner’s guide in 2008.

To get the free copy of the game, download Game Maker Studio, select the beta update channel, install the offered updates, and then when prompted choose to register in order to receive an emailed key for the Standard edition. It’s not clear whether this is a time-limited offer, so get in quick. The Standard edition lets you do everything you’d want as far as making your game goes, and you can update for a free to the Professional edition later should you want to start exporting your game to platforms other than Windows.

Game Maker Stusstudio can be used for creating 3D stuff, as one of its developers recently demonstrated, but you’d probably be better off using Unity if 3D is your aim.

} else {
script_execute(ignore_news)

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Eschatos says:

Also everyone’s new favorite indie game, Risk of Rain, was made in Game Maker.

2. Kitsunin says:

I’ve been learning Python for a decent while, and I think that I’m pretty much at the point where I could code a working game, but I’m wondering, is Game Maker a good option even ignoring the fact that it’s easier to learn to use? I always thought it was something you could use to make a mediocre game if you don’t want to bother to learn to actually code, but I’m realizing that could have been an incorrect assumption.

• Moraven says:

The built in scripting language, GML, allows you to do quite a bit more and it is good to have some programming experience.

• LimEJET says:

GML looks like you could learn to code with it no problem. Also, I think you’ll find that working against a clearly defined framework that does all the heavy lifting for you is a lot easier to get started with than if you were to do all the rendering and event handling yourself.

El_MUERkO says:

I’m currently working on three different games using Gamemaker, gave been using it for over two years, really enjoying the experience. Hope to have my first release-worthy in March / April :-)

• Kitsunin says:

Sounds well worth checking out, even if the functionality were pretty bare it’s not like my plan was super complex in the first place (A primarily text-based RPG).

• Carrion says:

I also have been learning python and I too have aspirations of making a text-based RPG. Now I think I’m having an existential crisis, thanks to you…

• King in Winter says:

If you are going to make an Interactive Fiction game, you may find specialist software like Inform 7 more fitting to the task.

• Kitsunin says:

I was thinking more along the lines of the Rance series than a pure interactive fiction. I would need to be able to keep track of levels, stats, and relationships, and have some sort of party-based combat system, with the possibility of further mechanics (I’ve got a good understanding of where the plot would go, but the gameplay isn’t locked down yet).

I’m sure I’d need more control than something that specialized. Thanks for pointing it out though, might be worth thinking about down the line.

• B1A4 says:

Then check Ren’py – http://www.renpy.org/ – it’s all you need.

Python, for text based games, but very modable for stats keeping, invetory and tons of other stuff.

• Kitsunin says:

Thanks for the suggestion! I knew Ren’py was used for some good professional Visual Novels but I hadn’t considered that it might be robust enough to make what I was thinking of. From the looks of things, it might actually be exactly what I’m looking for.

onesandzeroes says:

Have you actually tried to make game in Python yet? Pygame is great if you want to learn how game code fits together, but it’s hard to do anything particularly fancy with it. Once you get beyond the basics of showing 2D sprites, Pygame doesn’t to have much to offer.

In terms of putting together a decent looking game, GameMaker would blow Pygame away easily. I haven’t really had a proper look at its scripting capabilities, but they seem decent enough that if you have logic complicated enough to require coding, that option is there.

• solidsquid says:

I’d say both are a good idea to learn. Game Maker will be easier to prototype things in and get something up and running, but I suspect it would be more limited than being able to write something in pure python. Also learning python would make it easier to move to other programming languages if that’s the direction you wanted to go.

Oh, and GameMaker is limited to 2D, but if you use Panda3D you can use python for 3D games (it has a python API library). You could also use Pyglet or Cocos2D (the version at cocos2d.org, not the ios port which seems to be better known) to target OpenGL more directly or just work in 2D

Basically, python will be more flexible and benefit you long term, but will require more work involved to build stuff

3. LimEJET says:

}

• Kitsunin says:

==

• Dozer says:

Classic coding error Graham. Syntactically correct, so the compiler/interpreter won’t complain – a single = generally means “assign the value of right-value to left-value”, while == means “if left-value and right-value are the same then true, otherwise false”.

So by writing this headline, you have set the value of Global.GameMaker_Is_Free to 1, therefore making GameMaker free. Thanks, Graham!

Thaham.

Don Reba says:

In GameMaker, assignment is a statement, not an expression. So, Graham’s mistake would not go unnoticed.

• Dozer says:

So it does produce a natural syntax error?

In C++ (the only language I really know) the statement “foo = bar” is also an expression of the value of foo after the assignment operation. Allowing you to write horrible things like “foo = bar = hanging_gardens_of_babylon = 4″. The statement “if( foo = someFunction() )…” is a legitimate but very unpleasant way of assigning foo the return value of someFunction and then doing something conditional if the result was not 0.

Ninja Dodo says:

From the help “= – Used to assign a value to a variable. Note that this can also be used for comparing variables in GameMaker:Studio and you may see this in examples and other peoples codes. However, this is a legacy from old GameMaker versions and you should use the == operators for comparing and = for assigning, as shown in these examples:” (http://docs.yoyogames.com/)

It’s designed to be forgiving, even if == is technically the correct way to do it.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

SIGSEV: Segmentation fault

• Beernut says:

Ah, that’s better! *lights_cigarette*

4. Kaeoschassis says:

I have one word for all you doubters out there;

Iji.

strangeloup says:

This is, unfortunately, not easily googleable, at least not for anything that seems relevant. Could you clarify at all or provide a link?

• Kitsunin says:

I had heard of Iji before but I have absolutely no idea why I never bothered to try it.

• Kaeoschassis says:

If that means you’re trying it now, I have done the world a service, and can go to bed happy.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

One of the most underrated games out there. I’m kind of amazed the author hasn’t cashed in on the retroidvania craze, because Iji got there first and did it better than most of the games that followed.

• The Random One says:

Ah, Iji. One of the first games I procrastinated to play, way before I had the fat games library I have today so it actually mattered. I still haven’t played it.

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, it’s really really good. I’m loving how it does character progression, it feels like it’ll be well worth coming back through for a second playthrough focusing on different aspects, and on a higher difficulty (Started on Hard).

strangeloup says:

I feel a bit dismayed that I got this in last year’s Steam Xmas sale, also bought a book (The Game Maker’s Companion, I think it was) and have still done bugger all with it.

In fact the sum total of my ‘actually making games’ work has been having a mad 18 hour dash over a weekend and making something in RPG Maker that was sort of a bit rubbish and about 45 minutes long.

• Lanfranc says:

That’s still 18 hours more than most people have done.

Oozo says:

I really can recommend working through that book. It takes a little while, obviously, but it’s pretty well done. And while I did not do much more with the tool (yet) than just recreate what the instructions told me to do, it did give me a bit of insight into the clockwork behind games, as well as an introduction to programming. That’s actually all I was looking for for the moment anyway, and for that alone, the tool and book are more than good enough.

Edit: Also, the community is very helpful. I never had to wait for more than a few hours to get answers for the problems I threw at them. Really a good tool for getting started.

6. seraphsword says:

Spelunky (the original)
    Risk of Rain
    Hotline Miami
    Super Crate Box
    Gunpoint
    Stealth Bastard

All games made in Game Maker.

I wouldn’t suggest using just the Drag and Drop stuff, learning GML isn’t that tough and it will let you be much more precise with your games.

• SquareWheel says:

As good as those games are, Super Crate Box crashes every 10 minutes for me, and Hotline Miami had some major issues too.

• Reapy says:

Right, risk of rain getting crushed when the screen gets busy and has some oddities. That it is made in gamemaker might explain that, however, at the same time it is very encouraging its strong enough to make games that can (I think) sell well and be popular.

• fish99 says:

Games that weren’t made in Gamemaker have bugs too.

• Dudeist says:

Fallout 3 crashes too sometimes and what?

7. geldonyetich says:

Yet another reason for me to regret having put down the money for a professional edition and barely touching it. My fault really, my general motivation is spotty on a good day, and it’s not improving knowing I could have sat around doing nothing and got a free copy of the standard edition which basically does everything I’d ever used it for.

Granted, I don’t find this quite on the level of insult-to-injury as seeing Yoyo Games has created a cool new compiler that gives their games hundreds of times better performance… and it’s a $299 upgrade to get access to it. You know, some developers would call that, “Fixing what’s broken about our platform” and give it as a free upgrade to their current customers, but what do I know about business?

No, I’m a better man than this, my wallet is safe from temptati- oh, what’s this? The autumn Steam Sale has begun? … I’m doomed.

8. fish99 says:

You can also upgrade the standard edition license you get to Pro for $50 at the moment, which I would do if I had $50 :(

(don’t be put off by Pro looking like it’s still $99 on the website, you put your standard license code in the upgrade box during checkout)

Also worth noting, none of this applies to the Steam versions, which are still full price.

9. kael13 says:

Thank you! I now have something productive to do during my Winter ‘Summer holiday’ before my next batch of Computer Science modules start. I genuinely needed something interesting to get me excited about coding. Seeing pretty graphics is always a good outcome.

10. SillyWizard says:

This is fantastic! I’ve been just about to buy the thing through Steam, and was just waiting around to see if it would be on sale within the next month. Perfect timing, YoYo!

Now all I need are tutorials on the several very specific things I want to do, none of which are scrolling-shooter or platforming-related, meaning 0% of the existing tutorials out there I’ve come across are helpful….

Whee!

lowprices says:

Dang. Bought this with actual money a few months back. If only I’d known…

12. Baines says:

Kind of interesting that this happened right after Unity officially added support for making 2D games.

(Unity hasn’t made a real 2D editor. Rather, it added features to the 3D editor aimed towards making 2D games. The end result isn’t much different from what people have been doing on their own, just that some of the work is already built in now. And apparently now has a demo that looks like a skeleton version of Super Crate Box, at least by watching the YouTube video.)

• Reapy says:

O.

Thank you, will investigate! I kinda sorta started doing something with the sprite batch 2 plugin, but unity always seemed really geared up for 3d. I honestly don’t know what is easier, as 3d models can be easier to generate content up to a certain threshold, but I guess for my ignorance of producing 3d models and animations, it’s always seemed more approachable to draw out some 2d art.

*edit* back from looking, damn those are some sexy 2d tools. Basically there is no excuse now for me to not get the platformer going I have wanted to do for a while. God the tools for making games are so amazing now a days. I would murder people to be younger and have all my free time back.

13. Draycen says:

Graham, firstly thanks for posting this as I too have been considering trying GM out for years.

Secondly, it’s not too late for you. Yeah you could have made something x years ago, but you didn’t. Don’t look back in another few years and think, “Ah, crap I’ve STILL not made something”.

Just go for it.

I personally will be making something for the reward of actually having made my own game; however crap it may turn out to be. As apposed to hoping to make my millions.

Good luck!

Ninja Dodo says:

Yeah, my first reaction when I read this was: awww… never too late, man!

My advice: Try to participate in one of the many game jams like Ludum Dare, Molyjam, or Global Game Jam sometime. That will give you a theme and a deadline, which is all the starting point you need!

Also, if you get bored doing tutorials just start making stuff and try to solve one problem at a time (via help file and google) as you encounter them.

14. Lobotomist says:

BTW Construct 2 is 33% at steam sale.
    Its much easier to use than Game Maker – and far far cheaper (if you plan to actually release games)

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

That’s the real question here – how much would one have to spend on compilers (or whatever, etc.) to make GM games playable?

Ninja Dodo says:

Unless you want to develop for Android, iOS, HTML5 or other platforms that are not PC and Mac you do not need the add-on modules at all. To be honest, the new YYC compiler is still way too early to use seriously – lots of bugs and instability, so I sort of question their decision to charge extra for it, rather than just making it a free update – but you do not need anything beyond the basic Standard or possibly the Pro version to make a release-able game. Hell, Hotline Miami and Gunpoint weren’t even made with Studio. They were made with the old, like really old, version (7 or 8). Both successful, released games.

This whole “man, why are you using this when you could be using BLA” spiel gets really old. Everyone has their favourite tool and every tool has its pros and cons. Game Maker is great for 2D games. Some people like it a lot, some people don’t. If you want to make 3D games, probably use Unity. If you happen to like one of the other 2D tools, that’s cool… but you don’t have to advertise it in every comments thread.

• Dudeist says:

I love Construct 2, but it is html5 oriented tool. For some games it is not enough, too slow still and other problems. If you need something better enemy ai and speed, GM is best for it. I tested all tools like this and I stay with GM:Studio for now. I hate it and I love it. It need some skill, but for 2d, 2,5d games is perfect tool.

• Lobotomist says:

Problem is that GMS is too middle ground.

(if you want all compilers) CS2 is 70$ (with steam sale) , GMS is 1000$, and Unity is free

So you see GMS loses on any account.
        Its not cheapest nor its most powerful or easiest to use.

No wonder they started giving standard edition for free.

• Dudeist says:

Very fast you will see, that Unity is not free and you need $1500 to make most of “of course” things in game. Even in 2d. Check free version limitations and you will see. Im working on 2d game and tested I think all tools for it, and finally I’m working in GM. Is not perfect, I like construct 2 more, but as I said, is not enough if you need fast calculations and something more.

And you not need $1000 for GM:Master but $799 and now only $499. And you need Master only when you want to publish on all platforms. Instead you can use Pro just or Standard free. But I’m not yoyo agent, do what you want.

• Dudeist says:

and CS2 is no compiler option, where GM is. It making games maybe 100x faster for calculations. I think this is important.

• fish99 says:

I kinda lost interest in Unity once I saw the price for the full version. Personally I prefer UDKs 30% after $10K model. I guess it all depends on your financial circumstances though.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

“Problem is that GMS is too middle ground.

CS2 is easiest to use but most limited — GMS middle —- UNITY 2D is hardest to use but you can do almost anything.”

That… sounds perfect.

Middle ground, here I come!

And thanks for all the helpful insights, everyone.

• Lobotomist says:

Middle ground might sound like cosy spot for you right now. But it actually makes no sense in long run.
            You will neither be making games with ease (like with construct 2) , and will soon come up with limitations searching for more powerful platform (Unity)

Not to say that if you want to deploy multiplatform (the only thing that makes sense) you will than need to plop 1000$ to get all the compilers.

Unlike 70$ CS2 or 0$ Unity

Ninja Dodo says:

@Lobotomist: Look I get it, you’re married to Construct. I’m sure it’s lovely. Go make cool games with, but don’t lie about its relative pricing and functionality (you’ve repeatedly ignored both my and Dudeist pointing out your comparison is inaccurate).

• Lobotomist says:

I agree. They are all good tools.
            Its just that i did research into all the tools lately. And this was conclusion i came up with.

Also GM was around for long time, so naturally people are very comfortable with it, and it has big fan base.
            While Unity and CS2 are rather new. Draw your own conclusions from that…

• fish99 says:

It’s $499 for the Pro Masters right now, and the regular price is $799 not $1,000. Also how many of those extra modules do you actually need? You could make and release a windows game with just the free standard version. Want to release on iOS too? Pay the extra $300 ($250 currently). If you’re just getting started in game production, you’re not going to need to release on windows, windows 8, windows phone, IOS, android, Mac and Linux.

Also Unity free has significant limitations, especially in terms of lighting and performance. The full version is $1500.

Ninja Dodo says:

Actually, GM Studio isn’t $1000 if you only get HTML5. More like $99 + $99 = $198, without a discount. Also Studio Master version isn’t even at that price at the moment. If you’re going to compare the two, be accurate.

[edit: Dudeist made largely the same point while I was typing]

Ninja Dodo says:

Just to add: Other than multi-platform export (which I love) the only Pro-exclusive feature I actively use is Texture Management (organizing sprites into custom texture pages) and even that only since recently when I was trying to improve the load times on a project. You can do without for smaller games.

If you want to develop only for PC or Mac, Standard is fine, really. The main reason to get Pro is if you want to have the option to add other platforms later. Though it gets expensive if you start adding a lot of them. You can get the all in one thing, but that also is expensive.

I originally got the HTML5 version before Studio was released, then got a free upgrade to Studio Pro + HTML5 and later bought Android separately. Eventually upgraded to the Master (everything) version when they had a temporary deal for that, though I mostly still only use Windows, HTML5 and Android. Tried Linux export a bit. Seems to work on virtual Ubuntu but not very compatible with anything else (a friend tried to run a game on Debian without success) so maybe give it some more time. YYC seems to work ok on Windows (though you probably need something really resource heavy to get any advantage out of the speed increase) but couldn’t get it to go on Android last I checked so I’m sticking with the regular compiler for now.

I’m still using GM8 for an older project, but I’m thinking I’m going to port it over to Studio soon because it’s pretty solid at this point and it’s basically better than 8 in every way.

15. dogsolitude_uk says:

“Otherwise, don’t let anything stop you. If you want to make a game, throw yourself in, muddle your way through, and you’ll definitely get more out of it than you put in. The alternative is becoming a dried-out husk of failed ambition and lost opportunity, like me.”

D’aww… Look, there’s this terrible lie that’s become endemic in our society that after a ‘certain age’ you cannot do anything new. It’s actually bollocks. I went from working as a legal consultant to being a web developer at the age of 35. I’m currently learning music production. :)

Why not download the thing, have a crack at making a game with it and post about your progress on RPS?

• Phendron says:

Self-deprecation is a less effort than self-improvement, take it from me (and Graham).

• Kitsunin says:

I think it was a joke…but you’re absolutely right.

• Graham Smith says:

The screenshot on the post is actually code from the game I am making – but thanks for the wise words. A lot of people need reminding of this.

• dogsolitude_uk says:

Thank you :) I just got fed up with people looking at me as if I was mad: “a WEB DEVELOPER? At *your* age? You should stick to what you know…”

I figured I’d rather have ‘Web Developer’ on my tombstone/obituary than “FSA Legal and Compliance Consultant”.

Regarding the music thing, I had a long standing regret about not going into it more when I was at Uni, but I figured I could either beat myself up over it, or get busy doing it, so I started applying myself to studying/doing music production the same way I did with HTML/Javascript/CSS and ASP.NET all them years ago.

It’s going pretty well tbh: I’m still at the ‘it’s a bit crap’ stage, but the weirdest thing is how much happier I am having a serious, non-work related creative outlet. I’m not going to be the next Aphex Twin, but by heck I’m enjoying it :)

16. DanMan says:

Being raised on a C64 I think I best stay clear of this witches’ brew.

17. MaXimillion says:

= != ==

18. sophof says:

Wow, I had no clue those games were made with GameMaker, that is a pretty impressive resume. In hindsight it makes sense for there to be software that does all the problematic but standard stuff for you for non-demanding games (graphically). I guess I simply assumed it was for kids to dabble a bit and that’s it.

Also, close that parenthesis!

19. TechnicalBen says:

Absolutely no options load for “upgrading”. No idea if it’s hidden behind menus. But the website seems to say “download then upgrade” as the entire instructions. :/

[Edit]
    Got it. Note to self. If developing offline/online combined systems, put user readable info for “unable to connect for this service” instead of “crash to desktop on disconnect”.

Seems it was just overload on their servers and the online form did not pop up when the offline part of the program launched.

Martel says:

Thanks for posting this, and everybody with all the information on what can/has been done with it. Snagged a copy. Not that I’ll ever do anything with it, but at least now when I don’t I can’t lament about the lack of a tool :)

21. Lemming says:

I applaud Gamemaker, Unity and their ilk, but sadly things like this just don’t help starry-eyed would-be game creators like me because you always have to have some artistic ability, be it pixel, vector or 3D-based. Yeah I could probably jump in and get scripting with some basic prototypes, but it’s just rather disheartening when you can’t have what you’re mentally visualizing right there on the screen to encourage you along.

• Berzee says:

That’s definitely how I feel about Unity sometimes, especially because the only way you can really do 3D without spending money is to use Blender…which multiplies the barrier of entry by about 46.

Pixel art is a little easier to get something that is at least recognizable as the object it’s supposed to be :P but it’s hard to get actually good at it if you’re just doing it as a stepping stone to getting a game finished, too much temptation to be hasty. (I was lucky in that my minor interest in doing pixel art for its own sake preceded my discovery of enjoyable 2D programming options).

I guess that’s why a lot of people use those Assemblee graphics for non-commercial projects, particularly the little fantasy-themed heroes. (Go to this GIANT PAGE OF GIFS IT WILL TAKE FOREVER TO LOAD and search for “Oryx”, the other stuff is kind of hit and miss but still some good things). Though nothing beats having custom art that belongs to your game and your game alone, of course. =)

• Draycen says:

Don’t forget that Mr Francis of Gunpoint fame put a call out to artisty and musical folk for this same reason. So dont let that stop you. Sounds like a lot of people are more than happy to help.

• Kitsunin says:

I know that feeling. I consider myself a writer more than anything, and it’s easy to get the feeling that people appreciate artists way more. Back when I was writing fanfiction I remember being told that “If you want a decent graphic for your fic you should pay a little money and commission one from an artist.” I mean, I get why you pay an artist for helping you, obviously I’ll pay if my plans of making a commercial game ever come to fruition, but when you’ve invested your own time into something just for the entertainment of others, and they go and say you should invest your money too because you don’t have every skill possible at one time…

…Well, I bet visual artists have to deal with the same, though.

• Snids says:

I’m thinking about using sprites ripped from a commercial game and replacing them once everything else is done.

Oozo says:

Well, you could always take a page out of the book of developers like theAenamic or Jack King-Spooner — you risk getting put into the misleading “weird games” ghetto, but you know, fuck that. Those guys use cardboard, clay, watercolors, scissors, crayons, string and spit to put together their art work, and while the results are obviously crude in a way, they are always, always interesting. You still can hire other people later on, but it’s really not a reason for not getting started (or yes, do as Snids said and just use ready-made sprite sheets for starters…)

• ZephyrSB says:

Pretty much always the problem I ran into in my youth when using tools like Klik’n’Play, The Games Factory and later BlitzBasic. As much as I loved making the game systems, as soon as I needed content it was like running into a brick wall. I didn’t have enough skill to transfer my vision to the screen, and my attempts to reach out to the admittedly ace communities never really worked out for me.

I’d really love to have a proper look at GameMaker and Unity sometime, particularily with some of the resources available now, but no longer have the oodles of free time to manage it right now :(

• fish99 says:

There’s plenty of released games with ‘programmer art’. Minecraft springs to mind.

Jonfon says:

Well if their intention was to knock themselves entirely offline due to the weight of 1000s of PC Gamers rushing to their site then Mission Accomplished!

Poor lil web server, never stood a chance.

Jonfon says:

Hurrah, it’s back up.

Boo. It’s another Windows-only IDE, so I can’t try it out here.

23. void says:

The code in the header needs refactoring.

24. one2fwee says:

Does anyone know of a 2d game engine that has actual proper vector graphics support and runs well using vectors. Or even just a library or programming language?

I would also like something that has proper animation / timeline support, for combining both frame by frame and tweened animations!

The problem is the only thing i have found that seems capable of authoring this kind of stuff is flash. Flash is really bad for games and i would not recommend anyone PAY MONEY for a flash game as it just encourages it.
    For adventure games like machinarium, it is okay, as user input fidelity is not vital.
    However for platformers or other games it is really really really a bad idea, namely because:
    o- Flash’s performance stutters a lot and is generally bad, especially on old hardware
    o- The performance requirements are very high for the very small work that it is actually doing.
    o- Adobe AIR stuff is flash and in a lot of ways is even worse.
    o- The whole thing appears to be a big mess patching over an older big mess to try and fix it, a lot of the time making it worse.

Now, the 2 big ones:
    o- The timer code in flash is horribly broken, so if you tell it to wait for a set period of time, it won’t actually do this – it is very dependent on framerate and horribly flawed. It doesn’t even take into account rendering time.
    o- The input capabilities (keyboard, mouse) etc are really awful. Have you ever noticed that a lot of the time, flash applications will “lose” your button presses – you didn’t imagine it. It really is that bad.

So yer, sorry for that aside.

If anyone knows good authoring tools for animations (that are preferably free and can export to other programming languages, different “movie clip like” animations intact), and also a good library or 2d development environment, then it would be really cool to find out!

One thing that i think would be cool is some engine that you make all your work as vectors, and then (because i haven’t found any engine that will use vectors or at least hardware accelerate them) when the player comes to run the game for the first time, it will take into account their screen resolution and create various size png assets for all the vector content on the first run. This will obviously take a while but will only need to be done once and surely will improve performance a lot.

Or is vector performance in 2d games getting a lot better? For huge numbers of objects i would still assume that raster is a lot faster? It’s a shame because vector has a lot of upsides!.